Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Proposal: What about an update to monument.oxp?

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Proposal: What about an update to monument.oxp?

Post by Cholmondely »

Umm. I was thinking more along the lines of:

Ironfist (John Tugwell, d. 2013) - a friendly, helpful tester of other's work, and author of the Dwarven oxp.

Svengali (Olli Krienke, d. 2021?) - one of our talented musician oxp-ers with a knack for getting Oolite to jump through hoops! Author of several vital oxp's including CCL, BGS & Library.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

For our Lead Developers, how about

Aegidian (Giles Williams) 2003-2006 - original game - and encouragement of modding
Ahruman (Jens Ayton) 2006-2013 - introduced shaders & javascripting, unified AppleMac, Windows and Linux versions
Cim 2013-2015? - tutorial, expansions manager, tougher game, better sound, better scripting
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

Cody wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:38 pm
Olli had a taste for single malts, and was rather fond of Knockando (as I once was).
A nice personal one liner on the front.
A list of achievements or a list of oxp's on the back.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

cbr wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:30 am
Cody wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:38 pm
Olli had a taste for single malts, and was rather fond of Knockando (as I once was).
If, sir, you are willing to do it, then you get to choose exactly what to put on it. I will very happily put it up on the Expansions Manager with DAJT's & your names on it. Do you prefer just the Lave Monument, or would you wish to add one for Zadies/Lead Developers as well?
Comments wanted:
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

Perhaps I am not (the)one for words...
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

cbr wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:51 pm
Perhaps I am not (the) one for words...
Quite! You are implying that I'm getting up to all sorts of amorous hanky-panky rather than it being my final resting place!

Fair enough.

Does anybody have any other ideas/suggestions/conjectures as to wording/locution/phrasing etc?

Do we agree with cbr's suggestion:
Comments wanted:
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:06 pm
Does anybody have any other ideas/suggestions/conjectures as to wording/locution/phrasing etc?
Using the broader scope of the "etc." part here but...

While it's a nice idea to commemorate those who have passed away, commemorating developers who haven't strikes me as a bit odd.
I don't doubt the good intentions nor the worthiness of the individuals concerned but death is quite the dividing line.

Suppose Giles has a 'second coming', be it as a dev, an oxp developer or (shock, horror) even as a player. The Graveyard is at least partially a canonical oxp and there you are, commemorated as if you'd gone.

But more important than that, by honoring the living in such a manner I feel it diminishes the honour to those who have passed.

Just my personal opinion of course.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Redspear wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:59 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:06 pm
Using the broader scope of the "etc." part here but...

While it's a nice idea to commemorate those who have passed away, commemorating developers who haven't strikes me as a bit odd.
I don't doubt the good intentions nor the worthiness of the individuals concerned but death is quite the dividing line.

Suppose Giles has a 'second coming', be it as a dev, an oxp developer or (shock, horror) even as a player. The Graveyard is at least partially a canonical oxp and there you are, commemorated as if you'd gone.

But more important than that, by honoring the living in such a manner I feel it diminishes the honour to those who have passed.

Just my personal opinion of course.
Not quite the idea.

The idea: One monument at Lave commemorating those who have died. A second monument at Zadies commemorating our Lead Designers. Neither are connected in any way with TOGY or Smivs Memorials plug-in (a 4th TOGY oxp which commemorates Cmdr Ironfist, but not being on the Expansions Manager is unknown to all but the old hands)

From the wiki:
This is a fourth TOGY oxp, adding memorials to deceased Commanders. The memorials take the form of a golden Starbird. Written by Smivs (2013), it is available here: http://www.smivsonline.co.uk/oxps_TOGY_Memorials.htm

BB Thread is viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14167 - It was written for the 1st edition of TOGY.
Comments wanted:
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:30 pm
Not quite the idea.
Apologies: skim reading wasn't enough on this occasion.

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:30 pm
The idea: One monument at Lave commemorating those who have died. A second monument at Zadies commemorating our Lead Designers. Neither are connected in any way with TOGY or Smivs Memorials plug-in (a 4th TOGY oxp which commemorates Cmdr Ironfist, but not being on the Expansions Manager is unknown to all but the old hands)
As you were.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Lave Monument

Front:
Ironfist (John Tugwell, d. 2013) - a friendly, helpful tester of other's work

Svengali (Olli Krienke, d. 2021) - one of our talented musician oxp-ers with a knack for getting Oolite to jump through hoops!
Back:
Ironfist (John Tugwell, d. 2013): Dwarven.oxp

Svengali (Olli Krienke, d. 2021): Author of several vital oxp's: BGS & Library (and also for Library: Orchestral Demo, Animation Demo, Starmap Demo, Matfinder, Library Devtools). Also GNN, KeyConfig, Buoy Repair. (Deprecated oxp's: CCL + Cabal Common MaterialsFinder, OXP Config, Snoopers, Hyperradio, Vector, Localhero, Cutscene).

Note: I am presuming that Svengali died in 2021. The "memorial" is dated 23rd January 2021. Am I being naive?
YouTube memorial
Facebook original memorial stream

Query: does this work? Will it be sufficient if we add somebody whose real name is unknown - or whose date of departure for the Pool of Pellucid Placidity is unknown?
Comments wanted:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Zadies Monument

Front:
Aegidian (Giles William, 2003-06): v.1.0 - v.1.65

Ahruman (Jens Ayton, 2007-13): v.1.67 - 1.77.1

Cim (2013-15): v.1.79 - v.1.84

Not our Lead Developer, but keeping the flag flying:
Another_Commander (2015-date): v.1.85 +

Back:
Aegidian (Giles William, 2003-06): Created original version (for the AppleMac). Made it alterable by .oxp - and wrote example oxp's (ships, stations, HUDs, missions, activities) teaching others how to do it too. He wanted to use Oolite to teach people how to programme.

Ahruman (Jens Ayton, 2007-13): Massive improvements in everything. Introduced Javascript for better oxp's. Graphics revolution with Shaders. Joystick interface. Yaw! Lots of work on the wiki, helping others write OXPs.

Cim (2013-15): Introduced Tutorial (and Scenarios). Expansions Manager. OpenAL sound support. Better AIs. Safe systems being raided by pirates from neighbouring unsafe systems. Included Griff's ship & station textures.

Not our Lead Developer, but keeping the flag flying:
Another_Commander (2015-date): Lots of improvements to graphics (lighting, textures, planets, etc.). The "Oolite v1.88 Base Shipset Normal and Specular/Gloss Maps" oxp which uses these improvements. Before all this, he and Ahruman together introduced the JavaScript engine across the AppleMac, Windows & Linux ports.
I do rather feel that we need to include a_c on this one!

Is all this reasonably accurate?
Comments wanted: