Rough Guide to the Ooniverse

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Micaelis
Average
Average

Post by Micaelis »

@Disembodied: Your writing skills are amazing! Well done! :D

IMO, This kind of information ( if possible, of course ) should be available in-game, when you press F7 ( I don't play Oolite for a long time, sorry If I mistake the correct key).

I think this will add a considerable depth in the "role-play" feeling in the game. For that purpose, your text is a bit too long... :wink:

Anyway, again, excellent text!

Keep coming!

PS.: Can I suggest you write something about Lave? Your start point is there, so, why not know more about your own neighbourhood? :wink:

PPS.: Sorry about the bad english, I know it sucks, but I'm trying to improve it... :oops:
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

Fine. I took it down.
Last edited by FSOneblin on Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

@Disembodied: The following touristic or otherwise notable destinations are advertised by Your Ad Here, and therefore could need your attention:
  • set A
    • Inzaan Zoo (billboards 12 and 10)
    • Teance (billboard 16 back)
    • Isveve and its famous isolationist movement (billboard 20 back)
    • Lethal Zamaon Water (billboard 25 back)
  • set B
    • Diso (bb 1 front)
    • Orerve (bb 1 back)
    • Tianve (bb 2 front)
    • Inonin (bb 2 back)
    • Raaleian Edible Poet (bb 9 back)
    • Aesbion (bb 21)
    • Bibeian Lethal Brandy (bb 24 back)
    • Friends of Uscela (bb 25 back)
  • set C
    • Mabelala Institute of Technology (bb 10 front)
    • Onatbeza Medical School (bb 13 back)
    • Laveian Academy (bb 15 back)
    • Soinisat (bb 20 back)
    • Enalno Bananas (bb 21 front)
    • Atistiso Döner Kebab (bb 24 front)
    • Xeesqu (bb 24 back)
    • Tionisla Orbital Graveyard (bb 25 back)
  • set D
    • Ormala Vacuum Karate (bb 5 front)
    • Esisor (bb 8 back)
    • Azaqu (bb 9 front)
    • Diribea (bb 11 back)
    • Esgeer University (bb 13 back)
    • Texeonis Blened Massacre (bb 23 front)
  • set E
    • Xeoresce Mud Hockey (bb 4 back)
    • Escerce Tulips (bb 8 back)
    • Usbira Tourist Board (bb 9 back)
    • Iniser (bb 10 back)
    • Vicious Za Brew (bb 17 front)
    • Anenen Clown College (bb 25 front)
  • set F (unfinished)
    • Osatbeza Museum of Antiquities (bb 1 front)
    • Erzara Convalescence (bb 2 back)
    • Lelebish Edible Moths (bb 4 back)
    • Arazaesian Wolf Meat (bb 6 back)
    • Tiescebi Dungeon (bb 9 front)
N.B.: There certainly doesn't need to be an entry in the Rough Guide for each of these destinations. But it would be a shame to have entries for just completely different destinations, as we have all this work already done, which we can refer to. I also don't know whether all these destinations really qualify for an entry, I just copied the ones that seemed most promising from Dr Nil's list.

And, by the way, please note that there is no ad for Riedquat or its famous Ale yet :wink: !
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Thanks, Micaelis, and Commander McLane. Thanks for taking the time to do that list, too -- very useful. By the way, if anyone else wants to do an extended planetary write-up, feel free.

@ Micaelis: putting extended text into the game would be nice but it would mean writing up entries for 2048 planets... I'm thinking more half-a-dozen! Lave would be a good one to include, though: I should have thought of that myself. Selezen has already created quite a bit of info about the planet on the wiki, too.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Commander Mysenses wrote:
Is there a list of the planet descriptions for the eight galaxies somewhere?
I tried a search a while back, and got nowhere really.
I put together a search engine for worlds a while back -it's pretty basic, but if you don't enter anything into the search box it'll bring back everything.

http://hughesd.co.uk/elite/pinfo/

@FSoneblin: all I can say is that if you are "no good at writing", then trying to write a guide is probably not the best use of your time.

In addition, your grammar and punctuation suck. look up how to use the words "your" and "you're" and look into the proper use of the apostrophe.

And one essential aspect of a guide is that the names of the place you are going should be spelled properly. I've personally bever been to either Leetsi or Riadquat, but Leesti and Riedquat are regular haunts...

Sorry if that is overly critical. Age is no excuse - when I was 13 I could spell "your" and understood the need for proofreading and spellchecking for, sorry.
Micaelis
Average
Average

Post by Micaelis »

Disembodied wrote:
@ Micaelis: putting extended text into the game would be nice but it would mean writing up entries for 2048 planets... .
Heh, I completely forgot how many planets exists in [E|Oo]lite... :oops:

Would be really nice, but that's a lot of work. A bit too much even when is voluntary... :shock: :roll:

As Cmd McLane said, doesn't need to do to all destinations, though. I think the most common destinations cited in OXP's would be great.

/me Still waiting for a great piece of text about Lave... :wink:

Cheers, people!
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

If you're not very good at writing the best thing to do is to practice and listen to constructive comments from others.

So if you're going to comment on someone's writing please say things like 'check your use of "your" and "you're"' rather than 'you suck'.
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Hoopy wrote:
So if you're going to comment on someone's writing please say things like 'check your use of "your" and "you're"' rather than 'you suck'.
...he was commenting on his own writing, and saying it sucks - as in, his English writing skills are under par, old chap! He was, in fact, trying to apologise for his spelling and grammar errors...
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Well, my point with FSOneblin's ideas was a completely different one, apart from the factual errors and the spelling/grammar errors.

I don't think the Rough Guide is meant to be a summarization in the line of "OXP A does this-and-that to planet B, and OXP C does this-and-that to planet D" at all. Therefore in my understanding the informations listed by him don't belong into the Rough Guide at all.

At the very least not in this short, table-like form. Because a table like this already exists at its proper place, which is the OXP-page of the wiki.

What I want to see in the Rough Guide is more of Disembodied's stuff: Wonderful, exuberant, ridicilously detailed, lovingly written descriptions of planets (or people, or events, or whatever), that add flavour, depth and richness to the story of the game in my head (yes, we had that point before). The whole thing becomes even more exciting when I actually can meet (parts of) the written essays in-game. That's why I reminded us with a list of those hidden stories in the game (or to be precise: in the imaginations of those people who contributed to Your Ad Here, Disembodied himself being one of the more prominent among them) we may try to dig out and verbalize a little more than it has been done before. But this is completely different from yet another boring list of OXPs!
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Can something YAH-like be done for the planet descriptions and put on something like AAAAA_planet_descriptions_Gal1SetA.oxp?

That way, they'd always be overridden by other oxps, and we don't have to post all of the 2048 at once, or even finish them at all.
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

It'd be faily easy to OXP this just a planetinfo with some lines like:-

Code: Select all

"setSpecificPlanetInfo: 6=73=productivity=53489",
								"setSpecificPlanetInfo: 6=107=description=Esrire is famous for its large gas giant, Cerberus. The system is however plagued by high levels of criminal activity, even by the standards of an anarchy system. GalCop Special Branch suspects that many criminal organizations make their home in this system, but have thus far found no living witnesses to corroborate their theories.",
								"setSpecificPlanetInfo: 6=107=productivity=97252",
								"setSpecificPlanetInfo: 6=107=inhabitants=Sinister yellow frogs",

Only problem is the physical limit of how much text can fit of the F7 screen. 6 or 7 lines is about the maxium.[/code]

Cmdr. Maegil's plan of calling it aaaaOXPNAME.oxp should work to stop it. overwriting any systems descriptions that are modded by existing OXPs.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

Ok then. I took my guide down. So I tried to contribute to the oolite community, and you are being jerks about it. I admit, I can't spell, have proper grammar, I got a 17% on a spelling test in the 3rd grade, It's just grammer, and it could be worse. You don't have to be so mean about it.
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
CaptKev
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptKev »

FSOneblin wrote:
Ok then. I took my guide down. So I tried to contribute to the oolite community, and you are being jerks about it. I admit, I can't spell, have proper grammar, I got a 17% on a spelling test in the 3rd grade, It's just grammer, and it could be worse. You don't have to be so mean about it.
I wouldn't worry about it FSOneblin, my spelling and grammar is just as bad.
Download Fighter HUD, Stingray and System Redux from the EliteWiki
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

FSOneblin wrote:
Don't worry too much about that kind of complaint, it's enough that you're aware of it and try to improve.

I'm also not a native speaker, and used to make a LOT of mistakes while typing... Then I threw it on the spelling aid (one item at a time, so I can either learn the proper spelling or discard silly changes), proof read, rephrased, checked the thesaurus for synonyms, spell-checked again and finally posted!

It's a long learning curve, and the natives have us at a disadvantage, but even so I think my present stage isn't so bad... I still have to go through the whole proof-reading-editing process for longer texts, but by now it's often enough to just spell-check it.
matt634
Deadly
Deadly

Post by matt634 »

And one essential aspect of a guide is that the names of the place you are going should be spelled properly. I've personally bever been to either Leetsi or Riadquat, but Leesti and Riedquat are regular haunts...

Sorry if that is overly critical. Age is no excuse - when I was 13 I could spell "your" and understood the need for proofreading and spellchecking for, sorry.
Apparently, I am the only one who found this post to be so absurdly hypocritical that I literally Laughed Out Loud. I koncur, profreading is esential.

I've come to expect the blunt responses from Mclane as that's just his style, but I do take issue with the way the board, as represented by the posters in this thread, treated a fellow member wishing to contribute to the community. I'm sure the criticism was meant to be constructive, but it sounded both dismissive and more than a little rude to me.

I really enjoy this board because unlike almost every other board I patronize it's not full of egos unrestrained by the anonymity of the internet. We have a great community here, and I hope in the future we will be considerate enough to kindly help a fellow member or at least thank him or her for their attempted contribution before tearing into the work they did for our community.

Friendliest board this side of Riedquat