Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

'Dwane Dibley' N00b Questions..

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

dai
Poor
Poor

'Dwane Dibley' N00b Questions..

Post by dai »

howdies,

i discovered this game in the first half of '07 and immediately was transported back about 25 years earlier - yes, my willy reduced in length and girth but i still masturbated like a fury.. :shock:

heh, seriously, a great game but i never had time to try it out. now i'm ready. i've downloaded 1.70test (i assume that is the latest release for the PC?) but am looking for suggestions regarding the OXP's.

what do you recommend with regards to features, fun, and stability?

ty in advance for any replies and it's good to be here :)

dai
The Edible Poet
Competent
Competent

Re: 'Dwane Dibley' N00b Questions..

Post by The Edible Poet »

dai wrote:
yes, my willy reduced in length and girth but i still masturbated like a fury.. :shock:
:lol: And long my you continue to do so for many years to come. :wink:

Well I'm a long way from trying them all out myself as i only found Oolite a few months back myself (just jumped to galaxy 3). But highlights for me so far:

Random hits
Renegade pirates (if you rekon your combat abbilities :wink: ).
Thargorn Threat
Thargoid Wars
Behemoth Spacewar
Your Ad Here!
Anarchies
Pirate Coves
Thargoid Carrier
U.P.S. Courier

As far as ships and equipment goes, just try out whatever you fancy. Most of the new ships are great, and there are a few lame one's too. But the beauty of it is you can try stuff out and just get rid of anything that you feel doesn't belong in your ooniverse.

I've still got loads to try out. Looking forward to getting to galaxy 7 for Assasins. :wink:
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Re: 'Dwane Dibley' N00b Questions..

Post by Captain Hesperus »

dai wrote:
howdies,
Hi dai, Welcome to the Friendliest Board This Side of Reidquat™!
dai wrote:
i discovered this game in the first half of '07 and immediately was transported back about 25 years earlier - yes, my willy reduced in length and girth but i still masturbated like a fury.. :shock:
Really...too much information.....
dai wrote:
heh, seriously, a great game but i never had time to try it out. now i'm ready. i've downloaded 1.70test (i assume that is the latest release for the PC?) but am looking for suggestions regarding the OXP's.

what do you recommend with regards to features, fun, and stability?
Well, if you want to start off a bit gentler (really Renegades is a Seriously Dangerous OXP), then try mission OXPs like Longway.oxp and Taranis.oxp. To improve your funds you could get the Black Monks OXP (if you can handle the payment default penalty!) or the UPS or Oo-haul OXPs (or Random Hits, if you'd rather not lug merchendise across the ooniverse). When you get some money behind yu you can start playing with the nicer ships like the Python Class Cruiser, Imperial Courier (V2), (Uber)Tiger or (Uber)SuperCobra. If you really need your head checking, then try the updated Benulobiweed Inc. ships which are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay uber fast and uber fragile.

Enjoy!

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
dai
Poor
Poor

Post by dai »

thanks for the suggestions, i'll take a look.

my elite experience was a little strange.. i had gotten a copy (yes 'copy' - did anyone actually buy a game back then?) and wanted Lords of Midnight. i asked a friend on the housing estate for it but he sent me to another fella who i had never heard of (and never saw again.)

i knocked on his door and asked for LoM but he said he didn't know me. as soon as i said i had elite he allowed me to enter. it was like walking in to an oasis and he had every game under the sun that i could copy, as much cake as i could eat and as many views of his older sister as i wanted..
Killer Instinct
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Killer Instinct »

Have to admit I had a fully functional pirate copy for the BBC. Had to rig that too for night time silent running thus allowing gameplay in to the small hours without disturbing inhabitants (ok Parents then)! Oolite is a wonderful recreation of the original, though sadly my stamina says now I must shut down the PC and it's only 11pm. Oh age is such a b*****d.
I'm running 1.70 atm. It's a test version and some of the OXPs will cause the game to slow down or crash without warning. There is the excellent OoliteWiki page http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Oolite_Main_Page with a full list of downloadable OXPs and lots of other game related topics. I've downloded all of them and am slowly and painstakingly making my way through the pile to see which ones are the culprits. There are some fantastic ships to add into the game without being obscene (uber) ships. There are also a good few missions that contributors have posted up too. Hats off and many kudos points (we're not worthy) to the contributors (long list to mention). I think I'm right in saying that version 1.65 is the last stable version.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid
davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by davcefai »

Looking back, It is interesting to realise how much Elite impacted my computing life.

I had a Sinclair Spectrum attached to a TV. The picture was too big for the much-cursed prism dingus to work properly. It was no joke to have to reload from tape after failing to guess the screen characters twice. (incidentally Elite was the one game I could not manage to even start hacking)

So I went out and bought a monitor. Then I modded the Speccy to output a CV signal rather than a TV one.

After that the dongle was still problematic. This was a major factor in my deciding to buy an Interface2 which dumped the RAM to a cartridge. I was able to start Elite and then save the started game. After that I never had to use the dongle again. And I had a vastly improved system.

Cost of game :£20
Cost of 2nd hand monitor: £130
Cost of Interface2: £50

Who said that life makes sense? :)
dai
Poor
Poor

Post by dai »

yeah, it's odd to think a game could be 'life-changing' or, at least, stay with you forever. i sometimes wonder if my kids are missing out on something because they weren't around then - but i imagine we all find our personal thing.

games come and go but whenever the Speccy is mentioned it will always be either Elite or Football Manager for me.

in fact i'm in the middle of making a web-site dedicated to online footie management sims and the creator of Football Manager has agreed to be interviewed by me.

anyway, my pirate copy of Elite immediately shoved me in to witch-space (or whatever) and the Thargoids kicked my arse. when i eventually purchased an Amiga and, then, PC it was Elite (or the current variation of) that i first bought.

all this happened 15-25 years ago. i'm married. i have kids. and i'm still talking about a bloody game!
Captain Hesperus

Post by Captain Hesperus »

davcefai wrote:
Cost of game :£20
Cost of 2nd hand monitor: £130
Cost of Interface2: £50
Quality of the gaming experience: Priceless.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by davcefai »

Hesperus wrote:
Quality of the gaming experience: Priceless.
Oh yes, no doubt about it. But the point I was making is that I bought the monitor and Interface2 because of Elite. In turn that made my forays into assembly language a lot more rewarding and the Interface2 was invaluable in debugging BASIC/Assembler programs.

Which led to greater things when I graduated to PCs.