strange death indeed

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

stardotstar
Competent
Competent

strange death indeed

Post by stardotstar »

[maybe should not be in this forum??)

Some OXPs installed (- see my hail and hearty thread -) using 1.70 Mac; I have launched from a station (happened twice now); engaged ws injectors and hit hyperspace to destination system and immediately on entry to system I am presented with a rear view of the beacon buoy and instantaneous destruction....

Is it possible that i have reentered normal space at the same time as another and collided???!?!?? (TWICE ?@???!?) Rear view shown is tip off that something is amiss: wasn't using it on entering ws...

:lol:
...space commander.
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

If you have the PutYourAdHere oxp there is always a small chance for this (those ad buoys are huge indeed)
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: strange death indeed

Post by Eric Walch »

stardotstar wrote:
Is it possible that i have reentered normal space at the same time as another and collided???!?!?? (TWICE ?@???!?) Rear view shown is tip off that something is amiss: wasn't using it on entering ws...
When jumping a second time after reloading a saved game, Oolite often calculates the same random values. That can make that rare events still happen twice.
stardotstar
Competent
Competent

Post by stardotstar »

switched to strict play and not happened since.

I will start adding some oxps in one at a time - see if I can find which one was causing me trouble.
...space commander.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Its probabley not an OXP problem. Its just one of those things. For testing I'd been adding a lot of ships near the witch point. If a ship (and this includes you) appears in the space occopied by another ship, then its game over for both of them. Hey nobody said witchspace travel was 100% safe! Accidents do happen sometimes. I'd say its a feature rather than a bug. When you exit witchspace you pop back into existance in real space. Space is big so the odds of you appearing in empty space are high. But it only takes a tired FarAway Jump Traffic controller to give another ship the green light when he shouldn't to cause both ships an existance failure! :wink:
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

It's happened to me a few times too, I assumed that witchspace entry to the new system was too close to the Witchpoint beacon, and as LB says if you're running Your_ad_here oxp then you could be clobbered up th Jacksie!

On each occasion that it happened to me, I repeated the witchspace launch a couple of times and it was finally ok. It's not really a problem providing you have remembered the golden rule!

A similar thing used to happen with TNK, on launching from a station, you occasionally were bashed up the exhaust pipe by another craft launching immediately behind you.....press space commander.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
BTBC
Above Average
Above Average

Post by BTBC »

I have sideswiped the witchspace beacon coming out of witchspace a few times as I spawned too close to avoid it.
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

yup.

OXP's adding stuff near the WP are dangerous to shipping and should be fined accordingly. Report to your local Galcop officer.

Another to beware of is Griffs experimental Boa, just because it is too huge.
(and added near player on launch and on hyperspace exit)
Riding the Rocket!