Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

military fiasco

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

have alook in your save file - there should be a variable called something like 'military-fiasco-kills' (just search for military) with the number of misions kills you've got afterwards. The message on the F5 screen isn't important in terms of how missions work.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Bug?

Post by Eric Walch »

Lestradae wrote:
I just happened to get the military fiasco mission today (!), then upgraded to your new version 2.2.1. Now my missiontext on page 5 has disappeared. :shock:

.... Can I rest assured that my mission isn`t broken now?
My fault. The legacy scrip has a name: military_fiasco and I gave the Java Script the name military_Fiasco.
The description is saved with the scripname. It does not harm as it will just work. Best thing is to make sure the name stays compatible. Open the OXP go into the folder "scripts" open the military fiasco script with a texteditor. The scriptname is on the first line. Change the casing of the F to lowercase. Tonight I'll upload a version 2.2.2 EDIT: done, and remember to hold down the shift key when restarting Oolite the first time with the new OXP to clear the cache.

This missing text has no implications on play.
------
EDIT
Just a technical addition on the internal working of a mission descriptions.

When a script adds a mission description, the text is stored in the save file with the script-name as index. (in the mission variable dictionary) This means a single script can have just one mission description. To have more descriptions for one oxp (like UPS has), the oxp must internally contain several scripts. When the oxp with this scriptname is removed, the description stays in the save file but will not be visible on the F5 screen. The same is valid for the mission variables. The player just does not see it anymore. It does not get lost on saving without this oxp installed.

And when you re-install the oxp, the mission description will also be there again and you can continue the mission were you left.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Playing Military Fiasco till the end, I noticed an other bug. This time it was a bug in Oolites JS scripting system. The main target, the stolen Leviathan, was placed far away in deep space. The JS version of addShipsWithinRadius is not working in 1.70. It was a small bug and is now fixed for the 1.71 version.

For those that don't want to wait that long I used an other similar command that does work: addShipsAtPrecisely: Further I discovered that the Leviathan and his pirate helpers were added a little outside of the regular space lanes. However it was only the Leviathan that moved towards the space-lane for the player to find him. His helpers stayed behind. This has always been wrong but now the helpers will be at the desired destination first so the player has also to deal with them. Makes it a little bit tougher but it always was mend to be this way.

The Leviathan is still an easy target for the experienced fighter and when Oolite 1.71 gets released I will make an new update with an shipscript that makes the ship stronger after every encounter. In 1.70 shipscripts have some bugs in that the first time a ship get added it works, but a second time it can generate errors.

With the leviathan it could mean that when you miss him the first time, the second time the mission variables are not set right on destruction. When you notice this, save, quit Oolite and restart.

Download from the Wiki, version 2.2.3: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Military_Fiasco
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

The Leviathan is still an easy target for the experienced fighter and when Oolite 1.71 gets released I will make an new update with an shipscript that makes the ship stronger after every encounter.
Currently I am picking up things were I left now 1.71 is out. The current version is not working well under 1.71. Everything works but the final attack has a bug that will be solved with 1.71.2: Currently the carrier defense ships launch with the wrong AI file and the wrong target. (sometimes targeting their mother, sometimes other defense-ships).

With the shipscript I can bypass this error on launch so it now works on my computer and I can test it further. When 1.71.2 comes out I'll remove this part again and upload it.

The first kill of the carrier is just as easy as it was, but on restarting the missions the leviathan is a little stronger and is better in sending his defense-ships after the player. Actually much stronger as the defenders now don't crash as often on launch than before. I added the same improvements I added before to the regular Leviathan. (Launching at high speed)

For experienced players any carrier is still an easy target. A player can hit such a big target from a save distance. With a military laser even from outside scanner range. Therefor the carrier is completely dependent from its defenders. (It is the same as with a real-life aircraft carrier).
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

I just uploaded the new version of Military Fiasco. See the download link at the WIKI:

Military Fiasco 2.3

This version needs Oolite 1.71.2 to work. Just tested it, the things that bugged with 1.71.1 now work fine.
matt634
Deadly
Deadly

Post by matt634 »

Thanks for keeping these OXP's updated :D
dalek501
Deadly
Deadly

Post by dalek501 »

I have been playing this mission for some time now and I've only seen one of the ships I'm supposed o be getting! And that was at the first station I launched from after getting the mission. Since then.... zip!

Is there an art to finding them? Do they not show up as 'offenders' or 'fugitives'?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Its completley random. The can appear anywhere in any system. Of course even if they are there you may not come across them. Military takes AGES to complete, as its really just luck in any system whether a) one of the ships is there, and b) whether you get him. The OXP keeps a count of your score of special ships killed and when you get a certain number you get a message from the Military telling you what to do next. However, Military is fully compatable with all other missions, so you can almost forget about about it and do other missions, just rembering to kill any of those nasty Military ships when you happen to come across them. The show as Offenders or Fugitives in the normal way (and keep an eye out for those multiple lasers!). Often they'll be killing traders, so they may be there and you fly past 'em. They won't necessary attack you if they have other prey in their sights.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
dalek501
Deadly
Deadly

Post by dalek501 »

Thanks for that. Does it matter if I change Galaxies? Oh, and are they marked in purple? I was just about done in 2 having visited the majority of planets.
Last edited by dalek501 on Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

They appear in all Galaxies. So yep. It's really like a background mission.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

dalek501 wrote:
Thanks for that. Does it matter if I change Galaxies? I was just about done in 2 having visited the majority of planets.
It is independent of galaxy. Initially the encounters are very rare. Later on you encounter ships in every few systems. It's an oxp to learn patience I think. Don't focus on the oxp and start doing other things in the meantime.
dalek501
Deadly
Deadly

Post by dalek501 »

Thanks for that guys!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

dalek501 wrote:
Thanks for that. Does it matter if I change Galaxies? Oh, and are they marked in purple? I was just about done in 2 having visited the majority of planets.
Of course you can also re-visit some of the planets you have already visited. Doesn't matter. Stolen ships may be anywhere, anytime.

And to the other question: No. They are not marked in purple. They are no actual military/police ships, so they don't have a military/police scanner signature. If you come across a military ship with a purple scanner blip, better don't attack it, if you don't want the police come after you furiously.
dalek501
Deadly
Deadly

Post by dalek501 »

Cheers again for that!

Funnily enough the very next jump I made I found one! I took a bit of a battering before I managed to send him packing!
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Maintenance update.

I added a script to the military ships subentities. Special for the guys that loved to shoot of the subentities before going for the big kill. (see for yourself what happens)

Military Fiasco 2.4