Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Multilingual Oolite

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

I don't think that any specific file goes anywhere. This system is only an aid that makes your life easier when writing loalized descriptions but you still need to do the work. The way I see it, it functions like this:
1) You put sysdesc_keytable.plist in AddOns, after you have edited it to correspond to your system description arrays.
2) You create the sysdesc.plist by running Oolite with the --export-sysdesc parameter.
3) You work with sysdesc.plist as you would normally work with the original descriptions.plist. The difference is that instead of looking at things like [14] is [22], you can now work with something more human-oriented, like [#planet_root] is [#planet_attr_root]. It may still be somewhat convoluted, but way better than what was there before.
4) Once done, you convert the sysdesc.plist to sysdesc-compiled.plist by running Oolite using the --compile-sysdesc parameter.
5) Finally, you paste the contents of sysdesc-compiled.plist over the equivalent system descriptions part of your descriptions.plist.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

OSH wrote:
Ok. Which file should go where? description.plist into main config directory (oolite\oolite.app\Resources\Config"), sysdesc_key_table.plist also in this subdirectory, sysdesc-compiled.plist also in main Config directory? Or again I'm doing something wrong...?
I think you’re doing something wrong.

The entire Polish starter.oxp directory should go in your AddOns directory (I think that’s oolite\AddOns under Windows). You shouldn’t be editing anything inside Oolite.app. Most of the files in Polish starter.oxp contains text that needs localizing. I listed them in detail before.

The --export-sysdesc and --compile-sysdesc options are specifically to assist with the system_description array in descriptions.plist, because of its complexity. After --compile-sysdesc, the resulting sysdesc-compiled.plist contains a new system_description array to paste into descriptions.plist, replacing the existing one.

sysdesc_key_table.plist should be in your AddOns directory, although sticking it in Polish starter.oxp\Config wouldn’t hurt. (What another_commander said above isn’t entirely accurate, by the way: --export-sysdesc and --compile-sysdesc will work if sysdesc_key_table.plist is incomplete or missing, but will be more useful if sysdesc_key_table.plist provides relevant descriptions for the different block numbers.)
OSH wrote:

Code: Select all

[log.header]: Opening log for Oolite version 1.72 (x86-32 test release) under Windows at 2008-12-15 17:36:50 +0100.
…
[files.notFound]: GLSL ERROR: failed to find fragment program oolite-tangent-space-vertex.vertex.
[material.synthesize.loop]: Synthesis loop for material cobra3_redux.png.
These indicate that you’re using a trunk binary with 1.72 data files. You can suppress them by downloading the files at http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/ool ... s/Shaders/ and dropping them in your AddOns directory. That version of oolite-default-shader.fragment will break 1.72.x or earlier, though.
SwissMäc
Competent
Competent

Post by SwissMäc »

And if we part the translations into "Operational" and "Additional" ?
Everything you need to play, like "Fuel", "Cash", "trade-in" is easy to translate (at least into german),
but the descriptions of the planets follows english rules and can not be done that way. (You will understand what it try to say, "but sentence weird become do".)

Maybe a chooser in the game options window, to change the language in the cockpit ?

And the descriptions later when somebody has an idea to (easy) solve it ?
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

We've got a solution for the planet descriptions! And the posts above yours refer to it already. It's not entirely simple, but it does take into account different grammars.
We can add as many extra separate blocks to a sentence as needed, and they can contain anything, including other blocks, etc.
If you look at the spaghetti diagrams from page 5 in this thread, you should see how everything fits together.

As far as German is concerned, I thought Commander McLane had finished german.oxp already, but I can't seem to find that oxp anywhere...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)