Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Swift

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Swift

Post by ArkanoiD »

First, the ship is enormously uber. Having *that* speed (faster than dragsters which are basically an huge engine with a small pilot compartment attached?!) and all military enhancements and even cargo space? Just plain impossible. Roll/pitch rates are enormous as well.

Second, i guess there is a hud bug -i doubt it supposed to look this way:

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

There are more problems with the Swift (as an OXP, not the ship only). There seem to be some strange things in the shipdata.plist, like missiles=3 at lris deathactions (WTF?!) and also a hex key at the end of the file that doesn't belong anywhere and God knows what else. I am actually surprised that the parser manages to read this (and yes, it does give invalid plist warnings and drops to homebrew to do the job). Also, using this oxp almost doubles memory usage for some reason. Really, it does not look like a finished work to me. Apologies to the author of the oxp for the bashing, but it would be good if this could be made to work properly. Remember, the homebrew parser is scheduled for removal soon, as the warning message states, so this is bound to be broken in the future.
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

another_commander wrote:
Remember, the homebrew parser is scheduled for removal soon, as the warning message states, so this is bound to be broken in the future.
Tons of OXPs have warnings about homebrew parser, please do not delete it until OXPs get fixed ;-) I can make a list if that matters - i have almost everything installed..
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Well, what do you expect? First of all, it's a Benulobiweed Shipyards Inc.-ship. They are designed with one thing in mind only: Being fast! Or, to be precise: Being faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Second, it's a Benulobiweed Shipyards Inc.-ship. This means it's by Charlie. Which means it's buggy like hell! (Although, to be fair, the HUD-display bug cannot be credited to him. But the rest of it can, e.g. these death_actions-things, which are obviously accidentally c&p'd in there from some other place, probably a shipyard.plist.)

Third, it has some serious downsides as well, so it is kind of balanced (of, course you can feel it's not balanced enough): It has terribly little energy and a poor energy recharge rate. It carries only one missile. And a cargo capacity of 5t is not exactly spacy.

But the main point is: all the Benulobiweed ships form a class of their own, different to any sane Oolite ship, because it's all about speed, and, frankly spoken, their builders are insane. (Read the thread!) As such they have their place in the Ooniverse (although I've installed none of them because of their extreme buggyness!).
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

Commander McLane wrote:
Well, what do you expect? First of all, it's a Benulobiweed Shipyards Inc.-ship. They are designed with one thing in mind only: Being fast! Or, to be precise: Being faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Second, it's a Benulobiweed Shipyards Inc.-ship. This means it's by Charlie. Which means it's buggy like hell! (Although, to be fair, the HUD-display bug cannot be credited to him. But the rest of it can, e.g. these death_actions-things, which are obviously accidentally c&p'd in there from some other place, probably a shipyard.plist.)

Third, it has some serious downsides as well, so it is kind of balanced (of, course you can feel it's not balanced enough): It has terribly little energy and a poor energy recharge rate. It carries only one missile. And a cargo capacity of 5t is not exactly spacy.

But the main point is: all the Benulobiweed ships form a class of their own, different to any sane Oolite ship, because it's all about speed, and, frankly spoken, their builders are insane. (Read the thread!) As such they have their place in the Ooniverse (although I've installed none of them because of their extreme buggyness!).
The previous attempt of "being fast" brought us Kukri Dragsters i flew before: 0.610LM, *no cargo*, really small energy and recharge rate as well, one missile pylon, 0.8/1.0 roll/pitch (quite realistic for the ship made *fast* to be poorly maneuvrable), *not* energy bomb capable, *no* shield enhancements, *no* aft weapon mount. That's what i call realistic tradeoff of being fast and this ship is quite well balanced ;-)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Well, what do you mean "previous attempt"? The Swift and all the other ships of Benulobiweed have been around for more than a year. Charlie, their creator, hasn't been on the board anymore for almost a year! And at the time the ships have been debated heavily. Read the thread I linked above!

And BTW: Also the Swift has only a forward laser mount.
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

Commander McLane wrote:
Well, what do you mean "previous attempt"? The Swift and all the other ships of Benulobiweed have been around for more than a year. Charlie, their creator, hasn't been on the board anymore for almost a year! And at the time the ships have been debated heavily. Read the thread I linked above!

And BTW: Also the Swift has only a forward laser mount.
I just never seen a Swift for sale, so i did not have a chance to try it ;-)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Same with me. As I said before, I've never installed any of Charlie's OXPs, because they're so buggy.