Random Hits OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Random Hits OXP

Post by CaptSolo »

For my personal enjoyment, I modified RH 1.4.18 to produce an ultra-light version. Not into hit jobs anymore but Griff's space bar is a logical addition to the game. Posting to thank you, Spara, for the script you provided elsewhere that brings back the market for older OXP's.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

CaptSolo, is your ultralight version available somewhere online?

I too don't much care for the hit jobs... but more importantly the sheer number of ships it adds makes it run the game slower.

I do like having the Space Bar as ambience and am looking into getting a replacement market for it that works using Oolite 1.8x style market controls rather than reusing the old style.
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Switeck wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:29 pm
CaptSolo, is your ultralight version available somewhere online?
Not at the moment. I could PM you a link if it is okay with Spara.
BlackWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by BlackWolf »

I also would like to try the light version if possible. Kind of working on a Pirate occupation pathway, and the spacebars are perfect.
Creativity is a gift, use it well.
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

BlackWolf wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:45 am
I also would like to try the light version if possible. Kind of working on a Pirate occupation pathway, and the spacebars are perfect.
Last time I managed to dock on a spacebar with a (small) bounty on my head I had a rather unpleasant experience, ending by getting kicked out of the station. I believe its more a meeting point for assassins and mercenaries while pirates are not welcome. :)
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
dybal
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by dybal »

I've got a bunch of error messages from this OXP in my Latest.log:

Code: Select all

14:45:48.300 [strings.expand.warning.unknownExpansion]: ----- WARNING: Unknown expansion key [mission_random_hits_store_mark_second_nam
e] in string.
14:45:48.301 [strings.expand.warning.unbalancedClosingBracket]: ----- WARNING: Unbalanced ] in string.
14:45:48.301 [strings.expand.warning.unknownExpansion]: ----- WARNING: Unknown expansion key [mission_random_hits_store_assassination_b
oard_address1] in string.
14:45:48.301 [strings.expand.warning.unbalancedClosingBracket]: ----- WARNING: Unbalanced ] in string.
14:45:48.301 [strings.expand.warning.unknownExpansion]: ----- WARNING: Unknown expansion key [mission_random_hits_store_assassination_b
oard_poster_name] in string.
oard_address2] in string.
14:45:48.301 [strings.expand.warning.unknownExpansion]: ----- WARNING: Unknown expansion key [mission_random_hits_store_mark_race_part2
] in string.
14:45:48.301 [strings.expand.warning.unknownExpansion]: ----- WARNING: Unknown expansion key [mission_random_hits_store_mark_ship_ad_na
me] in string.
14:45:48.301 [strings.expand.warning.unknownExpansion]: ----- WARNING: Unknown expansion key [mission_random_hits_store_mark_gender] in
 string.
14:45:48.301 [strings.expand.warning.unknownExpansion]: ----- WARNING: Unknown expansion key [mission_random_hits_store_mark_first_name
] in string.
14:45:48.301 [strings.expand.warning.unknownExpansion]: ----- WARNING: Unknown expansion key [mission_random_hits_store_mark_second_nam
e] in string.
oard_job_name] in string.
oard_job_name] in string.
oard_address1] in string.
oard_poster_name] in string.
oard_address2] in string.
14:45:48.301 [strings.expand.warning.unknownExpansion]: ----- WARNING: Unknown expansion key [mission_random_hits_store_mark_ship_ad_na
me] in string.
14:45:48.301 [strings.expand.warning.unknownExpansion]: ----- WARNING: Unknown expansion key [mission_random_hits_store_mark_gender] in
 string.
14:45:48.301 [strings.expand.warning.unknownExpansion]: ----- WARNING: Unknown expansion key [mission_random_hits_store_mark_first_name
] in string.
14:45:48.301 [strings.expand.warning.unknownExpansion]: ----- WARNING: Unknown expansion key [mission_random_hits_store_mark_second_nam
e] in string.
14:45:49.779 [script.javaScript.warning.ooliteDefined]: ----- JavaScript warning (oolite-random-hits-pod1 2.3): Unknown expansion key [
mission_random_hits_store_mark_first_name] in string.
14:45:49.779 [script.javaScript.warning.ooliteDefined]:       /home/dybal/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolit
e.oxp.spara.random_hits.oxz/Scripts/oolite-random-hits-pod.js, line 15.
14:45:49.779 [script.javaScript.stackTrace]:  0 (oolite-random-hits-pod.js:15) <anonymous function>
14:45:49.779 [script.javaScript.stackTrace]:     this: [Script "oolite-random-hits-pod1" version 2.3]
14:45:49.779 [script.javaScript.warning.ooliteDefined]: ----- JavaScript warning (oolite-random-hits-pod1 2.3): Unbalanced ] in string.
14:45:49.779 [script.javaScript.warning.ooliteDefined]:       /home/dybal/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolit
14:45:49.779 [script.javaScript.stackTrace]:  0 (oolite-random-hits-pod.js:15) <anonymous function>
14:45:49.779 [script.javaScript.stackTrace]:     this: [Script "oolite-random-hits-pod1" version 2.3]
14:45:49.779 [script.javaScript.warning.ooliteDefined]: ----- JavaScript warning (oolite-random-hits-pod1 2.3): Unknown expansion key [
mission_random_hits_store_mark_second_name] in string.
Milo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Milo »

Random Hits has a lot of strings in it, but it looks like the number of opening and closing brackets is the same. It would be helpful to have more information in the log messages to trace this back to a particular string. I might look into this more later.

Can you provide a save file that can reproduce these easily?

Actually, I didn't notice I could scroll down your error log. The ones that are not defined, like mission_random_hits_store_mark_first_name, would be a good place to start.

Also, line 15 in oolite-random-hits-pod.js is missing a semicolon at the end of the line.
dybal
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by dybal »

Milo wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:12 pm
Random Hits has a lot of strings in it, but it looks like the number of opening and closing brackets is the same. It would be helpful to have more information in the log messages to trace this back to a particular string. I might look into this more later.

Can you provide a save file that can reproduce these easily?
Yes, I will upload something to dropbox and PM the link - it will be a few hours though, can't do that now.
Milo wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:12 pm
Actually, I didn't notice I could scroll down your error log. The ones that are not defined, like mission_random_hits_store_mark_first_name, would be a good place to start.
Looking at the stack trace from the bottom up, it refers to oolite-random-hits-pod.js line 15:

this.ship.displayName = expandDescription("[random_hits_escape_name]") // Show the Victim's name on the ID Computer when targeted.
description.plist has the definition of random_hits_escape_name:

// ***********************************************************************************************
// Strings to make up the display name for a Mark's Escape Pod.

"random_hits_escape_name" = (
      "Escape [random_hits_escape_name2]: [mission_random_hits_store_mark_first_name] [mission_random_hits_store_mark_second_name]"
   );
   "random_hits_escape_name2" = (
      Craft,
      Vehicle,
      Vessel
   );
Couldn't find definitions for mission_random_hits_store_mark_first_name and mission_random_hits_store_mark_second_name anywhere - and I have all the 432 OXPs I run unzipped in a directory subtree and search down that showed oolite.oxp.spara.random_hits.oxz and oolite.oxp.Commander_McLane.Anarchies.oxz using them, but nobody defining them.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Just browsing through Hiran's OoliteExpansionIndex (July 2023 version), perusing the entry for Random Hits, and came across this in the list of "Ships" halfways down:
Ship Error: Entry in the wrong role!
Identifier random_hits_gravemarker1
Name Error: Entry in the wrong role!
Expansion Random Hits

Features
ai_type dumbAI.plist
energy_recharge_rate 3
max_energy 1800
max_flight_pitch 0.3
max_flight_roll 0.3
model rh_lwf_headstone.dat
name Error: Entry in the wrong role!
roles random_hits_gravemarker
scan_class CLASS_ROCK
unpiloted 1
Unsure if it is important.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

That Grave Marker "ship" is used in mission briefing messages.
Kinda cool, but never meant to be seen as a ship in space.
threepe
Competent
Competent

Post by threepe »

Are we as players able to purchase the ships the "enemy" flies in this OXP?

I've been looking around and not been able to find any of the nicer models. I did not want to just download an OXP for a SuberCobra (for example) and then cause some conflict.
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

threepe wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:39 pm
Are we as players able to purchase the ships the "enemy" flies in this OXP?

I've been looking around and not been able to find any of the nicer models. I did not want to just download an OXP for a SuberCobra (for example) and then cause some conflict.
The Random Hits oxp is designed to not conflict with any oxp from which it borrowed ships. So, you should be able to add the SuperCobra oxp without it breaking Random Hits.
threepe
Competent
Competent

Post by threepe »

Thank you :)