Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Random Hits OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Random Hits OXP

Post by spara »

New version 1.11.2 is up. Smallish stuff.

* added IDs to mission screens.
* removed a dublicate entry from shipdata.
MSA-S23
Above Average
Above Average

Post by MSA-S23 »

I accidentally posted this in the wrong place. I was told to post it here. Voilà!
MSA-S23 wrote:
Subject: Random Hits OXP

Hello Commander,

I have been fooling around with Random Hits OXP recently, and I have been having a blast. Just to let you know, though, I think I have found a bug.

If you encounter your target and you kill him/her and he/she doesn't eject, (which has happened to me many times), it is not tracked as a kill. Instead, when you dock with the bar or station, it's still listed as a mission to-do. If you travel back to the target, he/she's still there, and you have to fight all over again.

It'd be really nice if this could be fixed - I've been saving my game a system away from my target's system, going there, praying that he/she ejects, and when he/she doesn't, I revert. Etc, etc.

The game is playable, just annoying. I'm probably doing something wrong. If you know what happened, please let me know.

I'm running Oolite 1.84 on a Mac running OS X 10.11. I'm flying through Soaat (G6) with my current target, but it's happened with every single target I've encountered.

Thanks a billion.

Cheers,

MSA-S23
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Thanks for the report, I'll check it as soon as I have some spare time.
javirodriguez
Competent
Competent

Post by javirodriguez »

Hi!
I've been playing "random hits OXP" for a long time, i've done lots of missions including the most difficult ones, but i was reading on wiki that "successful hunters may also be offered special assignments". I've never been offered a "special job".
I would like to know what those special jobs are. Oolite rating: ELITE, Random hits rating: "great one".
Thanks!
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Sorry to disappoint you, but currently the random missions of three different skill levels are all there is. I've been pondering about special missions though with extremely tough adversaries like the Vortex or Caddie, but haven't done anything about them. Too much other diversions at the moment. Maybe in the future...
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

spara,
I'm seeing these errors popping up in my log from time to time:

Code: Select all

11:58:35.121 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (oolite-random-hits-guard 2.4): TypeError: this.ship.group.leader is null
11:58:35.121 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]:       c:\Oolite-Trunk/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.spara.random_hits.oxz/Scripts/oolite-random-hits-guard.js, line 14.
11:58:35.155 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (oolite-random-hits-guard 2.4): TypeError: this.ship.group.leader is null
11:58:35.156 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]:       c:\Oolite-Trunk/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.spara.random_hits.oxz/Scripts/oolite-random-hits-guard.js, line 14.
11:58:35.198 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (oolite-random-hits-guard 2.4): TypeError: this.ship.group.leader is null
11:58:35.198 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]:       c:\Oolite-Trunk/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.spara.random_hits.oxz/Scripts/oolite-random-hits-guard.js, line 14.
I'm not currently doing any RH hits, and actually I got the above errors when starting a new game.
javirodriguez
Competent
Competent

Post by javirodriguez »

Sorry to disappoint you, but currently the random missions of three different skill levels are all there is. I've been pondering about special missions though with extremely tough adversaries like the Vortex or Caddie, but haven't done anything about them. Too much other diversions at the moment. Maybe in the future...

Hi! it's not disappointing, i thought something was going wrong and i just wanted to know what was happening.
Thanks again!
gizmo
Deadly
Deadly

Post by gizmo »

Just stumbled across this error message in the debug console:

Code: Select all

Warning: Unknown expansion key [mission_random_hits_criminal_kill_payment] in string.
    Active script: Random_Hits 1.11.2
    script.js, line 1670:
            describe_payment = expandDescription("[random_hits_security_bar_text_describe_payment1]");
Warning: Unbalanced ] in string.
    Active script: Random_Hits 1.11.2
    script.js, line 1670:
            describe_payment = expandDescription("[random_hits_security_bar_text_describe_payment1]");
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

New version (1.11.3) is up.

* Fixed a missionVariable bug in big boss expansions. Thanks to gizmo for reporting.
* Added and updated missionscreen IDs. As per phkb's request.
MostlyHarmless
Poor
Poor

Post by MostlyHarmless »

I've been playing Random Hits with a commander on a Windows 10 machine. Windows 10 finally annoyed me once too often so it has been wiped and replaced with a Linux installation (Devuan). I've re-installed Oolite and the Random Hits OXP and then loaded the commander.

I'm on a mission to hunt someone flying a shiny python on Laeser but, even though I've searched and searched (over 4 or 5 hours of play now), I cannot find them. I'm at Laeser (G2) and I get the messages as I leave the station encouraging me to hunt them. I get the red "X" on the galactic chart, etc. so I'm relatively confident that the OXP is working. I just can't find the python that needs to be destroyed.

Is there any way to check that the target ship is actually being created? Or, does anyone have any clues as to where to hunt for it? I've tried the route between the witch point and the station, but no luck. I've tried the route between the station and the star. I've even tried the route between the star and the witchpoint. I've tried hyperspacing out and back but still no luck.

Any suggestions from budding Boba Fetts out there?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Welcome aboard, Commander! No input from me, as I've never been a bounty hunter. In fact, I used to hunt bounty hunters.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

@MostlyHarmless

Welcome, I am using Random Hits for a while and my first guess would be 2 possible scenarios:

You was too slow and the mission got canceled, personally I don't believe so because as much as I know the timers reset after every jump.

Somebody neutralized your target before you but in this case you should receive a message after docking.

Usually you will find them on the waypoint - planet route.
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

The mark is spawned on wp-station line, so fly straight towards the main station from the witchpoint buoy and you should be able to catch them. It is possible though that the mark drifts away from the line due pirates or police.
MostlyHarmless
Poor
Poor

Post by MostlyHarmless »

Thanks - that was what I figured it would be... but I can't seem to find it. I'll just keep looking... Is there any way to "peek under the hood" to get a list of all the ships in the system, so that I can be sure nothing is broken?
Cody

Post by Cody »

MostlyHarmless wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:23 pm
Is there any way to "peek under the hood" to get a list of all the ships in the system...
You're running Oolite 1.84, yes? I'm not sure if an entity dump (pause+0) works in a deployment build. One of the boffins would know.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!