Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Random Hits OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by davcefai »

Frankly the thought never crossed my mind. In the Spectrum Elite one centred up on the docking bay and that was that. :(
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Sorry, buddy! :)

But now as you have figured it out: Welcome to the Club Of Righteous Dockers (one association Hesperus will never make it into :wink: )! :D
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Commander McLane wrote:
But now as you have figured it out: Welcome to the Club Of Righteous Dockers (one association Hesperus will never make it into :wink: )! :D
:P

:D

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Captain Hesperus wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
:P

:D

Captain Hesperus
By the way: The membership would entitle you to wear a CORD-jacket. So maybe you should strive harder? :wink:
davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by davcefai »

Erm....

Does anybody know where I can get a pair of reconditioned, or at least not too crumpled, wings for an Imp Courier?

:oops:
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Ask your nearest Salvage Gang (available soon in Anarchies.oxp (v1.0)).

Or you could try to salvage an IC yourself (->see Remora Torpedo). :wink:
davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by davcefai »

Something new:

This probably won't happen often but last night I was after a victim but didn't find him on my way to the station.

I docked, no "Sorry but somebody else got him" message.

I then left the game running for about an hour while I had supper. When I returned to the game there was a congratultory message on having terminated the evil whatshisname!

Incidentally next time I'm in England I'd love to take time out to hear LittleBear describing his opponent in court.

"Your Honour, this evil fence-damaging slimy excuse for a neighbour....." :lol:
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

That is odd. When your docked the mark is still "out there" and so can be killed by an NPC. Actually if you park and leave the game running its pretty likely someone will get him. Pirates will leave him alone but Cops and Thargoids are pretty much bound to get him eventually, particuly if you have some hard hitters from Hertics Thargon Threat OXP or Matts Navy OXP on the prowl. Had you hit him and he'd escaped or had you never met him? It should be storing the ID of the last ship to shoot it before death.

In testing I'd been surrounding the mark with Matts Navy Crusiers and the code seemed to be working to record that they'd killed him. Its also possible for an NPC to scoop up a mark's pod. In both cases you should be getting a randomized message come up when he dies (eg: Captain Hespersus has been captured and boiled alive by deadly poets) and then a Message on docking commiserating on your bad luck and paying you a small fee to cover your wasted time. Something like this:-

OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by davcefai »

That's what has happened to me before if the mark was hit while I was still flying.

It is also what I would have expected to have happened while I was docked.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Small typo in this example: I'm pretty sure that our board member is called "Wolfspirit", not "Wolfspirt". Or?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

I got the above message whilst docked leaving the game running and comming back to my 'puter after an hour or so. The OXP will only recognise an NPC Kill if an NPC shot him at least once and was the last ship to shoot him before death (even if this was not the direct cause of his death). Eg: If a Viper shot him and the Mark died by crashing into another ship / asteroid / station etc whilst running away, the Viper would still be given the credit. Similarly, if you and a Viper are scrapping for the kill, and the Viper has weakened the victim, you'll still get the credit as long as you fired the fatal shot.

However, if a ship dies without anyone hitting him with a laser then the "whoshot" variable remains undefined. The game does not regarded an e-bomb or q-mine as an attack, so I use this to detect a dishonerable kill by the player. If the variable is undefined then you get a message (whilst in flight) along the lines of "You have eliminated Captain Wolfspirit, but the Bounty Hunters Guild fines you XXX Credits for employing cowardly combat tactics." The score for the kill is set to zero, but you still get paid for the hit. (Ie the same messsage as for a successful kill comes up on docking). The Mark will always run away from a fight with an NPC if the player is not present (this is to give the player a good chance of finding him - marks in weak ships like Boyracers would inevitabley fall to Cops before the player found him without this).

I suspect what happened is the Mark met an accidental death, (eg someone collided with him) - So the OXP assumed he had been killed by a player e-bomb attack. No great harm is done as your fine will have pretty much wiped out the money you got and your bounty hunters reputation score is not advanced.

On 1.70 the "whom" function is not set up for "thisShipDied". So I had to use the "thisBeingAttacked" instead. 99% of the time it gives the same outcome, but it does mean that in the unlikley event that a Mark dies in an accident with nobody ever shooting him the OXP will treat this as a player kill with an e-bomb. Another Commander has fixed the "thisShipDied" for the next release, so I'll switch them over to that for the next version of Random Hits.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Is 1.1 running ok for Mac Users?

Eric PMed with with two typos in descriptions.plist and a bad key in the spacebar shipdata entry. Both were harmless on XP (and not logged by XP in stdrr tex - hence my not spotting two extra >s in 13,000 lines!). I've fixed them on the version on my machine, but I was gonna hold back a 1.2 release until I've optimised the script (my next big task!) unless this is causing a problem for Mac players.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

LittleBear wrote:
Is 1.1 running ok for Mac Users?
I also should have tested it before changing the script. I put the original version in. Although he spots an error in line 55 of shipData.plist (rotation of the spacebar), the bar is there and non rotating as intended. So it is probably something oolite recovers from.

But interesting to see that the logs are different on the mac than with windows. I already wondered that some versions of other OXP's were released that still contained bugs according to the log-file.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Glad to know its Ok. 1.70 loging works well on XP generaly. Usually if there is a single mistake in it Oolite will not read the whole file. Whilst adding to descriptions on XP I immedatley knew if I'd made a mistake as a single error would mean when I approached a bar I get the dreaded comms message "[spacebar-greeting]" rather than the intended greeting! :roll: So I knew I'd made a mistake in descriptions, checked the sttdr file and was pointed to the line number with the error. On XP at least, 1.70 Oolite refuses to read anything from an OXP if there is a mistake anywhere in it. Which is rather handy usually for de-bugging. :wink: The two errors in descriptions and the one in shipdata were indeed where you said they would be. Just surpised that Oolite didn't do the usual of "Error : No way - not reading the whole file - error at line XXX" on XP which it usually does.
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

is there a list of ranks somewhere? I just shot someone with (Marshall) after there ship name and was wonderign what it meant. I now think it's a rank - is that right?