hyperradio

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

For slightly less classical music, Nine Inch Nails have released their recent album the slip and their also-recent not-quite-album Ghosts I–IV under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license 3.0 (a newer version of the same license used for Oolite’s data files).
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Just a quick question. Should we collect some songs and convert them to ogg if necessary. And can this be uploaded to the Wiki (>2MB)?

To make it clear before anybody says yes.

1. The files must be under CC-by-nc-sa-3.0 or GPLS (related to GPL)
2. Permission by the copyrightholder must be granted
3. The copyrightholder has to agree to the conversion and if necessary to the compression.
4. If a song is already released under a different licence - NO GO.

@LittleBear Please give us some hints. Have I forgotten something?
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Svengali wrote:
2. Permission by the copyrightholder must be granted
3. The copyrightholder has to agree to the conversion and if necessary to the compression.
These are already implied by 1.
Svengali wrote:
4. If a song is already released under a different licence - NO GO.
Er, why? It’s not all that unusual for stuff to be released under different licenses. Like Oolite, for instance.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Ahruman wrote:
I know that it's enough if we only think about the legal position. But I think fairness is the other side. The artists have spent so much time/love/power in their song (composing, recording, mixing, mastering and IT) and writing a few emails is not so much hard work :-)
Ahruman wrote:
Er, why? It’s not all that unusual for stuff to be released under different licenses. Like Oolite, for instance.
But who wants to keep an eye on that? That would implement to work out under what condition you could use this file, if the source where you have found it has a 'real' permission to put it online,...etc.

Example: You have found songA.mp3 at source ww.xyz.whereever. It is licensed under CC-by-nc-nd-3.0. Can we convert the mp3 to ogg? Can we compress the file? Can we put this file in an Add-On? And there are thousands (ok, hundreds) of different licenses out there and a handful of big associations with a rat's tail of sharks. I'm not a lawyer, so I don't understand the consequences in all details.

I only want to avoid a wasp sharks nest .-)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Svengali wrote:
Ahruman wrote:
I know that it's enough if we only think about the legal position. But I think fairness is the other side. The artists have spent so much time/love/power in their song (composing, recording, mixing, mastering and IT) and writing a few emails is not so much hard work :-)
Speaking as someone who’s released a bunch of stuff under various open source licenses, and talked to lots of other people who have:
  • Hearing about people using your stuff is always welcome.
  • Getting questions about whether you can use things in specific ways that are stated in the license – especially when they’re stated very explicitly, as with Creative Commons deeds – is annoying.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Point taken. Sorry for the one-more-time-discussion.

Ok, if you like Steve Coleman for free. Take also a look in An essay on my philosophy on the distribution of recorded music on his site. That's a statement.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

v1.07 is online.

Changes:
- Music will be stopped if condition red
- Added expansion possibilities by musicpacks that can be installed separatly
- If musicpack(s) installed it chooses the playlist mainly based on system.ID

The first musicpack is online. It is a Accoustic pack (mainly). The next pack will be for the Hard and Heavy Freaks out there and the third goes to the friends of Jazz, Funk/Groove and Chanson. The musicpacks can be found (with some additional infos) by following the link from the Hyperradio page or directly: Hyperradio_Musicpacks.

Special thanks to Josh Woodward. Josh is a singer/songwriter and on his page his complete work is online under CC-by-nc-sa-3.0. I really like his ironically point of view and the first musicpack includes two of his songs. :-)

Enjoy it.

EDIT: Three musicpacks online & v1.08 with a slightly different musicpacks handling. Additionally I'm thinking about a template for new musicpacks, so if anybody wants to make an own station it wouldn't be necessary to download one of the big packs. And it would be cool to get more variety - maybe some Rock, Blues, Classic and HipHop packs.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Just a quick question. Is it currently possible to detect if a song [Sound.playMusic('xyz.ogg')] is playing similiar to the SoundSource.isPlaying?

I'm asking this because I think that music is streamed and sounds are not, right?

EDIT: I've uploaded a HowTo for the musicpacks. So if anybody wants to create his very own and very personal pack,...
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

v1.09 is online.

Changes:
- Better workaround for expandDescription
- Changed from timer to guiScreenChanged
- Music for launched escapepod-sequence
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

v1.10 is online.

Changes:
- Added check if Hyperradio was used (to avoid an error in stderr.txt)
- Randomizer for the stationlist
- Compatible to OXPConfig.oxp
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

After thinking a little bit about Ahrumans suggestion (see: me again - howz about music?) I will change the Hyperradio a little bit, if nobody cries.

That means I'll step back from decriptions.plist for playlists and use instead of this an array directly in the JS-file (hyperradio.js and musicpacks).
The reason for it is simply that:

1. I think we can guide users who are not experienced enough to open and edit JS-files
2. The execution time of the script will be a bit faster
3. The Hyperradio will get a better working function (randomized songselect)
4. It will work in later versions of Oolite, because I'm getting rid of the global declared var
5. And it is a lot easier to handle :-)

So if you think it should stay as it is - cry now (till Monday 8.Sept).
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Ok. v1.11 is online.

Changes:
- Uses now an array directly in the script. Same for musicpacks. An update is available.

The next days I'll upload the new musicpacks, but if you have already one or more just grap the update (4KB) and replace the old scripts with the new ones. So you don't have to download a big pack again. :-)
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Nice :D 8)
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Ok. v1.12 is online.

Changes:
- lowered the price for the Hyperradio
- teaked it for use with Thargoids RepairBots - thanks Thargoid :-)
- and changed the interstellar behaviour a little bit

I've also uploaded the changed musicpacks with their changed scripts.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Ok. v1.13 is online.

Works in Oolite 1.72. Musicpacks are not affected and will work too.

Changes:
- Cleaned up a little bit