localhero oxp ALPHA

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Just another question. Who has made the planets excel-list that can be found in the WIKI? I saw that the first entry in the history was made by aegidian (and I've read that aegidian has got some other projects). I've added the other infos (population, government_number,...) for the first galaxy. It is a very useful thing for scripting.

So I'm looking for the author/co-author to send him this list (Open-Office format).
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

If you e-mail it to me (see signature) I’ll add it to the wiki.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Ahruman wrote:
If you e-mail it to me (see signature) I’ll add it to the wiki.
Thanks Ahruman. I saw you have put it to the WIKI. The Open Office planet list has a nice feature - special filter. With this filter you don't need macros or java. I've done the checking for this Oxp with it (gov 5, tec >7).

Next version is there (V0.121). http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Localhero_OXP
It's a little bit bigger (>670KB), because of the included soundfiles 8)

Is there any chance of stopping a soundfile when it is playing?

EDIT: Link changed to the WIKI
Last edited by Svengali on Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Please think of that this OXP does currently not work with Oolite 1.70. I'm planning to rescript it with Java-Script - but first I've to learn this language.

Version 1.00 is online:
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Localhero_OXP
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

does currently not work with Oolite 1.70
Has changed. A version for Oolite v1.70 is available (WIKI). Same link as above.

It's still a legacy-scripting version, but step by step...
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Done. JS. Currently not fully tested, but the first 8 missions will run properly. The next step is outsourcing some parts into ship-scripts.
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

i've just upgraded to 1.70 and installed local hero (and galactic military and random hits) and the game seems very slow whenever i launch etc. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that that's because the alpha version of local hero isn't optimised and uses legacy scripting until the author learns javascript. But I can't seem to find the post anymore...

Am I making it all this up?
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Hoopy wrote:
i've just upgraded to 1.70 and installed local hero (and galactic military and random hits) and the game seems very slow whenever i launch etc. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that that's because the alpha version of local hero isn't optimised and uses legacy scripting until the author learns javascript. But I can't seem to find the post anymore...

Am I making it all this up?
One of the problems of the new Local_hero is the same as the old random_hits 1.0 bug: It frequently calls the "checkScripts" command. This command evaluates all installed scripts and on slow computers with lots of big legacy scripts it slows down everything visibly. Also on fast computers but there it is not notices so much.

The "checkScripts" is hidden in the "scriptActionsOnTarget:" command. That means this last command should only be used rarely. In UPS I make sure it only runs once during the whole encounter with an enemy, but with localHero (and the old randomHits) it launches on every laserfire on the ship.

When seeing this with randomHits I placed a warning in the wiki with this command. And in Java there are other solutions. Little Bear started using java shipscripts. And one also can use the new AI function "sendScriptMessage:" when a Java script is attached to a ship.

but the problem is not only Local_hero but only in combination with other big OXP's that do not evaluate their scripts in a selective way.
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

ok, that makes sense I think. Will a modifed Local hero mitigate the problem? Should i just remove it until it moves out of Alpha? (Of course, I may have a quick play with all the other OXPs removed just to see what it's like)
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Hoopy wrote:
Will a modifed Local hero mitigate the problem?
Yes, this will solve the problem. I haven't noticed this problem on my machine and I'll do this the next days. Thanks Eric.
Hoopy wrote:
Should i just remove it until it moves out of Alpha?
It's no more Alpha. The 1.69 and the first 1.70 version are finished. Only the JS version is a development version (currently 1.03.1). I think I should open a new topic but sometimes I think it's better to keep all infos together.

And I should say thank you Eric again. Your thoughts about conflicting Oxps and your new UPS-courier with the check for the mission.choice is a nice one.

In the next Localhero version I'll add a second oxp with some clashscreens so every scripter can check for mission screen clashes and in combination with your UPS-courier he can find his own solutions for that annoying problem.
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

great stuff :) thanks.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

V1.03.3 - http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Localhero_OXP.

Without scriptActionsOnTarget and with reactivated sounds. Some other new features are also included. And the time will tell if the intensive use of ship-scripts will be a good thing. It seems to run smoother than before.

And the second thing:

Clashscreen.oxp - Removed (1.544 Bytes)
A handy tools for scripters. Use it in combination with Eric's UPS-detection.

EDIT: I just installed the latest random_hits and just launched from a confederacy station. The system was so slow, I never thought that this would be possible. And it was NO ANARCHY-system. So I removed my localhero.oxp and the problem was the same. I don't think that the localhero.oxp causes the problems. If you got no active mission it will check only 3-6 conditions.
Last edited by Svengali on Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

Am i right in thinking that the OXP can only be triggered in confederacy stations? I'm in galaxy 4 and it doesn't have a single one! http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Oolite ... t/Galaxy_4

Guess i need to buy a galactic hyperdrive...
matt634
Deadly
Deadly

Post by matt634 »

Wow! You could win a lot of bets on this board with that little factoid.

Hey, I bet you twenty bucks that Galaxy 4 has ZERO confederacies.
You would have gotten my money anyway.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Hoopy wrote:
Am i right in thinking that the OXP can only be triggered in confederacy stations?
Yupp. That's right.
I'm in galaxy 4 and it doesn't have a single one!...Guess i need to buy a galactic hyperdrive...
Maybe you should do this. But maybe there is another Oxp placed in your current galaxy - you could do the missions there and if you have done it you can switch to galaxy 5. That's no problem. There is no timelimit or any other check for that case. You are absolutely free.