Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

localhero oxp ALPHA

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Consensus

Post by Lestradae »

Hye,

maybe this is a stupid question, but ...
And maybe we can ask Kaks for an updater-prog that was discussed before. But for all these things we need a consense.
Why do we need a consensus for an updater-prog (besides Kaks` consensus that he would make one)? If it can be chosen which OXPs should be updated, implied.
There is already a discussion about a new form of the OXP-Table.
Where? Would like to have a look at that ...

Greetings

L
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Lestradae wrote:
Why do we need a consensus for an updater-prog (besides Kaks` consensus that he would make one)? If it can be chosen which OXPs should be updated, implied.
Use the board search-function for 'installer' and read the complete thread. All scripters then have to use this way (is it realistic?). Kaks has mentioned something about it in an other thread (if I remeber right it was something about the platform differences and the difficulties for cross-platform applications), but I don't know where it was. Maybe the search will give you a clue. The consense is necessary because all oxps then should use the same 'form' (this.name, this.version, requires.plist, info.plist or manifest.plist, version number in Oxp-name, etc...). So we need a consense.

I'm currently not using a requires.plist or a version check, because I think a player is able (hopefully) to read the included infos or the infos on the WIKI-Page. But if there is a consense, I'll add these things.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Aha!

Post by Lestradae »

All scripters then have to use this way (is it realistic?).
Ah, I understand where the problem lies and why a consensus is nescessary. Thanks for enlightening me on the subject!

Greetings

L
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Wow!

Post by Lestradae »

That`s service! :D

Many thanks Cmdr. Maegil *draws hat*

8)

L
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Svengali wrote:
Lestradae wrote:
Kaks has mentioned something about it in an other thread
<snip>
So we need a consense.
Here's my entire contribution to the whole updater-prog concept - note I didn't consent to anything! :)

Edit:deleted random drivel: We'd definitely need to reach a consensus before attempting an automatic updater program, and - way more complex from my point of view, we'd need a comprehensive list of which version of what oxp will work with which version of Oolite, if there's clashes between two or more oxps, etc. Not an easy task...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Complicated

Post by Lestradae »

As I do not have a real understanding of the whole programming business (yet) all I can say is this is really a complicated task.

Space-Sim X3 has a program that will take different mods and add, update & also remove them from the core game via a menu. I have no idea if inspirations about how to create something like that for Oolite might be derived, you can have a look at that one here

http://www.xpluginmanager.co.uk/

... don`t know if it helps.

Another thing I`d been asking myself was if it would make Oolite run faster if different oxps were merged into a Meta-OXP. NO going through 160 scripts, but one long list each. My programmer-friend said something like this could be automated, and even made to still recognise individual OXP-parts in the merged regions for purposes of upgrading or deletion.

Just my 0.2cents (as really not my field of expertise)

Cheers & keep up the good work! :)

L
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

This has been discussed before, but to no avail.

My understanding is that having multiple scripts in one OXP would not make things faster, because it's still multiple scripts. From Oolite's perspective it doesn't matter in how many OXPs the scripts are divided.

The aspect under which we were discussing this was just convenience for new players, who would not have to download 50 different OXPs, but would just be offered one.

So far so good. But the issue only starts here: Which OXPs would have to be included in this kind of "best of"-collection? Apart from the small problem that not all OXPs work with every version of the game (this could be addressed by having one "best of"-collection for each version), there is - of course - no consensus about which OXPs should be included and which should not. And the basic idea of OXPs is that the player should be free to choose which ones he wants to install and which ones he doesn't like.

There seems to be no easy way around this.
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

I just did the shuttle mission on local hero and failed. However, when i docked i didn't get any message - just the picture of the police chief bloke and a 'press space commander'. I also had to buy a new energy bomb, so it looks like it was disabled but not reinstated afterwards.

I'm using version 1.03.10 with 1.70
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Hoopy wrote:
I just did the shuttle mission on local hero and failed. However, when i docked i didn't get any message - just the picture of the police chief bloke and a 'press space commander'.
Hehe, another sweety little thing, but... I've just played this mission and failed too. But I've got the complete debrief. Played it again, failed and got the debrief again. Hmmm?!? Maybe one of these bad 5 minutes things or I don't like Mondays Thursdays? Can you do it again - with the logging enabled?
Hoopy wrote:
I also had to buy a new energy bomb, so it looks like it was disabled but not reinstated afterwards.
That's the risk, not a bug. Before you accepted the mission - Hurst told you that your energy bomb is a risk for innocent captains. So your bonus has raised by 1000Cr. But the bonus will only be paid if the mission is successful done (a little bit hop or top). Bad idea? What do you think?
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

i have a save from being in the station with the message waiting. So I can try again. I did have logging turned on but when i got the latest version it overwrote the config file!

ah - i assumed they meant 'we'll deactivate it for the missions then turn it on again afterwards'. Not 'we'll steal it'! :)
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Hoopy wrote:
ah - i assumed they meant 'we'll deactivate it for the missions then turn it on again afterwards'. Not 'we'll steal it'! :)
Any suggestions for a better text? The intention was to keep all things on one screen, so maybe it is a little bit to short. And stealing is such a strong word :-) - I would prefer to say: give the player something to think.
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

You could say 'We've removed your energy bomb to prevent accidental collateral damage - you will be well compensated for this on completion of the mission'
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Hoopy wrote:
You could say 'We've removed your energy bomb to prevent accidental collateral damage - you will be well compensated for this on completion of the mission'
Thanks Hoopy. Eric has mentioned this in the beginning of this oxp too. I've changed the missiontext now and it will be in the next version. Muchas gracias (Eric and Hoopy).
Commander Mysenses
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Devon, a backward little planet scourged by evil weather

Post by Commander Mysenses »

I'm a bit confuzzled and frustrated by this OXP.
I get a few Harkovians, scoop 'em (<5, obviously not enough to trigger success). then I blat around the system, from nav bouy to witchpoint and back (fuelling at the black monk/constore/sun), looking for more.
Usually after an hour or so, my game sessions are somewhat time limited by real life, I have to either abandon the session, or dock n'save (and be harangued for my tardiness).

I thought I read somewhere in this thread, that if I save during a mission I lose my Harkov kills and have to start again. If so, I might as well you reload a previous save.

And do I lose the mission if I jump systems, then jump back?

Sorry if this is all documented somewhere, scanning this thread and the supplied docs didn't help me (but that may be because I was a little hard of thinking).