Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Re seeking past contributors in the annoncements forum

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re seeking past contributors in the annoncements forum

Post by TGHC »

Cannot respond directly in that thread it's for moderators only.
Various people have contributed to Oolite over the years, and they should all be properly blamed credited. For this reason, I have created a list, which I hereby present:

The Man: Giles Williams (aegidian)

Jens Ayton (Ahruman)
Nikos Barkas (another_commander)
Chris Crowther (hikari)
Dave MacLachlan (Jester)
Dylan Smith (winston)
David Taylor (dajt)
Eric Walch
? (Commander McLane)
Nic ?
Nigel ? (NoSleep)

Is there someone missing from the list? Are you missing from the list? Can you fill in any question marks? Come on, don’t be shy. Any contribution that is or has been part of Oolite counts. Contributions to the greater Oolite community in the form of OXPs and support, while deserving of recognition, do not qualify for this particular list.
This board is inhabited by an amazing set of generous people, who, because of their love of "Elite" freely give their time and considerable creative and technical skills to enhance the lives of their fellow devotees, like myself who would dearly wish to contribute but do not have the skills to do so.

As a continuation of Ahruman's original post, I therefore propose there should be an official "Hall of Fame" for developers and as a secondary group a "Roll of Honour" for OXP writers. I say that because the likes of Little Bear, Dr Nil and Griff, to name just three (but there are several more) have IMHO been ground breakers in their own right and been very influential in the enhancement of gameplay and OXP creation.

Some contributions have been realtively small, in terms of time etc, but have had an enormous influence eg Nic's Installer for windows, and others have been a sheer tour de force in terms of time invested and the sheer scale and size of the work done and boundaries crossed, eg Little Bear's Assassins OXP.

My first two nominees for top place in The Hall of Fame are Giles and Ahruman.

My first nominee for The Roll of Honour would be Little Bear

What do the rest of you guys think, perhaps a Wiki entry?
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Re: Re seeking past contributors in the annoncements forum

Post by JensAyton »

TGHC wrote:
As a continuation of Ahruman's original post, I therefore propose there should be an official "Hall of Fame" for developers and as a secondary group a "Roll of Honour" for OXP writers.
I agree completely, except for the “official” bit. Such a thingymajig would best be done as fan activity which, after all, is what makes Oolite worthwhile in the first place.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

*Shuchs* TGHC, but the list of people who've contributed to the project is too long to name, its a comOOinty thing. All the proper coders and lots of OXPers: A.H, Ramon, flying circus, murgh, griff, the Doc, Eric, Wombat, Wyvern, Dave Hughes etc
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

LittleBear wrote:
*Shuchs* TGHC, but the list of people who've contributed to the project is too long to name, its a comOOinty thing. All the proper coders and lots of OXPers: A.H, Ramon, flying circus, murgh, griff, the Doc, Eric, Wombat, Wyvern, Dave Hughes etc
Yes, but don't mind. All of them belong on the roll of honor in their own right as well, don't they? And, together with all the contributions by other people, it needed someone (you!) to march through the whole project. And, the really groundbreaking aspect of Assassins is the whole idea as such and your imagination behind it, which pushed a lot of the best minds on this board to realize things that were unheared of before.

So, don't be afraid and take your piece of honour. You deserve it! :D
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

My fav contributors are:

Dave (Selezen) - For contributing the Imperial Courier, and the Tionisla graveyard.

Draco Caeles - For contributing the Generation Ships

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Wolfspirit
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Wolfspirit »

HMMMMMMMMMM a tribute to them

Dont know if it can be done But how about a simple OXP that renames a couple of the stations at the starting point like Hesperius Station ect?
If life is a dream then why am I Awake!!!!!!!!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Renaming stations? I don't know.

But what about Monument.oxp? That would be a good starting point, IMHO. Although it never seemed to work in my Oolite, at least I never saw the monument.

But might be that at the time I was too stupid to find it. Afterwards I've deinstalled it, and out of Galaxy 1 it doesn't do anything anyway.

But I think we could add a modified monument for the contributors somewhere. Will have a look into the OXP.
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

Don't forget Rik Declercq, our Belgian contributor.

names:
Tobias Murgh ... Murgh
Arnoud van Marion ... A_H
Riding the Rocket!
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

drew wrote:
My fav contributors are:

Dave (Selezen) - For contributing the Imperial Courier, and the Tionisla graveyard.

Draco Caeles - For contributing the Generation Ships

Cheers,

Drew.
Thanks for the mention drew, but i think it's important to mention that the TOGY (thus far) has been a group effort between Arnoud, Rik and myself. Who knows...we might even finish it one day.