Constrictor/Thargoid mission - WARNING - possible spoiler!

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Pansen
Dangerous
Dangerous

Constrictor/Thargoid mission - WARNING - possible spoiler!

Post by Pansen »

I've not yet undertaken these missions, but if I remember rightly, a Navy ECM (or was it energy bank - I can't remember) was given as a reward for successful completion of one or the other. Given that in Ooolite we can now change ships, and presuming the reward remains the same as in the old game, I guess that the upgrade will be lost on trading in your ship - is this correct?

I wanted to know, 'cos I'm currently in the Cobra III but interested in getting an Asp: didn't want to get the upgraded ECM (or energy bank, as it may be) only to lose it later when buying a new ship! Maybe it's possible to get the said upgrdes by some other means in this version???

Oh - and what do people think of the Asp? Was always my choice in Frontier, but see it has no cargo space!

Any coments?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

If you win the Naval energy unit and then sell your ship then the trade in price of the your ship is increased to reflect this. If you have won the Navy Energy Unit, then you can rebuy it and fit it to your new ship (but is only offered for sale at very high tech level systems and only when you have completed the Thargoid Plans mission). Some other types of equipment that you can obtain by completing missions are 'unplugable' and transfer ships with you.

The Asp is still a very powerful combat ship. Remember though that Oolite is set half-way between Elite and FFE, so with OXPs there are a few ships out there better than the Asp, such as the Tiger or the Imperial Courier.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

This is beginning to become a FAQ.
Maybe it's already in the FAQ list. :lol:
Riding the Rocket!
Pansen
Dangerous
Dangerous

Thanks guys

Post by Pansen »

Thanks for the advice, and also the note to put some of this in FAQ - guess you would have to be vague on the subject of being able to obtain 'reward' equipment on the open market having completed a mission - i.e. not state equipment receivevable - or could be a spoiler!

I still remember how fascinated I was when I received the note 'Incoming Message' for the first time having just docked - then again, I was only around 11yo at the time, and not used to hidden features in games! ;-).

Mmm - may do some downloads to check the new ships available...

Take care guys.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Arexack_Heretic wrote:
This is beginning to become a FAQ.
Maybe it's already in the FAQ list. :lol:
I wouldn't put it there.

Many of the topics here are about questions that are answered. But by definition a FAQ is a question that is asked frequently. And I don't really see any of those in this topic.

Except perhaps the question "Which ship would you recommend?". But this by nature is a very personal choice and doesn't belong in a FAQ, IMHO.
Arexack_Heretic
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

The question "What happens to my reward-equipment if I buy a new ship?" is IMO a FAQ.
Riding the Rocket!
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Done.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!