Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Long pauses in 1.69.1

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

lolwhites
Deadly
Deadly

Long pauses in 1.69.1

Post by lolwhites »

Been playing 1.69.1 in XP for a while. I've noticed that when I launch, dock or go through witchspace, there's a long pause before I get the rings while with 1.65 it was almost instantaneous. Anyone else noticed this?
Uncle Reno
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Uncle Reno »

Have you got the textured planets turned on? If it is then this could explain the launching and witchspacing pauses, not sure about the docking pause though.
"Get back or I unleash my lethal spotted batoid!!"

What I do when not reading the Oolite bulletin board!
lolwhites
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lolwhites »

Not sure :oops: How do I check?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

I don't think it has to do with the textured planets, as they were disabled in version 1.69.1 due to reported crashes. Hopefully they will be back in a future release.

I think it may have to do with scripts running. lolwhites, have you installed any mission oxps recently? You can always try to run the game without any oxps and see if the situation changes. I have had these kinds of pauses while playing/testing (well, OK, playing mainly) Assassins, which is a bit heavy on the scripting side.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Yeah sorry about this, I have gone overboard a bit! :wink: However on my system (virtually steam powered Dell, 5 years old and won't even run Halo I properly!) Assassins only seems to slow the game down when I'm at a system where assassins is spawning a lot of objects (there are 5 G7 systems where at certain stages there are an awful lot of Objects - eg Beatle). I tend to assume that any mod that runs on my system will be Ok on most Ooliters!

I get a hang entering the system, but once (about 15 seconds I'm afraid where 200 ship plus battles are taking place on my old coger system) the cross-hairs come up the game then clips along at a respectable 32 fps. If I'm jumping in to an unmoded system then I haven't noticed a slow-down on entering the system with Assassins installed. Have others had general slow-down problems, rather than just at particular systems or at particular mission stages?
Last edited by LittleBear on Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

LB: You are right, it is only at certain stages that pauses occur systematically with Assassins and these are the stages when a huge number of ships is generated for the purposes of some of the missions. However, it might be that Assassins could be just one out of many mission OXPs installed and going through a check of a large number of scripts could result in a noticable delay when exiting witchspace.

In any case, until lolwhites tells us if there are indeed scripts running in the background, how many they are and if things get better without them, my assumption remains nothing more than an umm... assumption.
lolwhites
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lolwhites »

I'm in the middle of Assassins now, so that could explain it. I've also recently added the most recent version of Thargoid Wars (the one that doesn't clash)The longest pauses definitely happen during witchspace jumps (between countdown reaching zero and seeing the rings), not launching or docking. On docking, there's sometimes more of a lag between seeing the rings and the next screen, particularly if there are any escape pods in the hold.