freaky little furball!!!! it's all your fault, hesperus!

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

nijineko
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

freaky little furball!!!! it's all your fault, hesperus!

Post by nijineko »

it finally happened. i scooped some cargo from a fugitive ship after polishing off the thargoids following an intentional witchdrive malfunction... and a freaky little furball started floating around my screen!!!! i blame you captain hesperus! i'm pretty sure it was from a cobra m3....

"fortunately", after i docked with one of the military ships hanging around hoping it would take me out of witchspace, the game crashed when i tried to launch from the ship. darn, i hadn't saved yet. ^^ not that i had a clue of how to get rid of the little thing if my little accident hadn't have happened.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?

Play games. Win Amazon gift cards! Brag. Repeat.
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I'm so glad you've had the opportunity to 'share the love'......

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

I am more concerned with the crash than your newly acquired (and deceased) pet.

Does crashing occur often when you launch?
Does it happen only on mil-ships in witchspace?

Did your intended exit location have some OXP script running in it?
Riding the Rocket!
nijineko
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by nijineko »

first time it happened. i'll keep an eye on it, since you are interested. in general, most of my crashes happen on jumps, but this was the first time i had docked with a mil ship in the witchspace mid-point bubble. ^^
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?

Play games. Win Amazon gift cards! Brag. Repeat.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

most of my crashes happen on jumps,
I noticed in Oolite version 1.65 that if it tries to add a ship that in the shipdata.plist file points to a non existing xxx.dat file, Oolite will crash. So your crashes at jumps could be caused by a faulty OXP.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

it finally happened. i scooped some cargo from a fugitive ship after polishing off the thargoids following an intentional witchdrive malfunction... and a freaky little furball started floating around my screen!!!! i blame you captain hesperus! i'm pretty sure it was from a cobra m3
I had the same problems with those hairy things. Crashing on witchspacejumps with them on board. I think the problem is their ability to realign the wiring in your ship. LB had one trained to guide a missile but untrained they are just mishapp. The probably prefere the wiring of the hyperspace engine because of there beter coloring of those cables. And the hairballs also evolve also with versions as it only happened in version 1.69.1 and not with 1.65
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

The problem appears to have been that trumbles do not retain their textures, leading to a crash if the texture is uncached while the trumble infestation is in effect. This has been fixed for the next release.
Paul_G
Harmless
Harmless

Post by Paul_G »

I've only been playing this game for about 45 minutes... I traded in my ship for a Cobra mk I so that I could afford decent equipment and the ability to fill up my cargo hold, and I got one.

They're pretty annoying... are they that common?

I too ended up getting killed right after I got one. But that was just because of poor flying. I can tell you that flying near the sun doesn't kill them.

(Yes... 'Poor Flying' and 'Flying near the sun' ARE related :oops: ... there's a trick to replenishing fuel that I haven't quite mastered yet.)

Hopefully if it happens again I can just eject and get a new ship. :?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Welcome to the boards!

There is a trick to removing an infestation. Check this thread, (Warning : Has a SPOILER!):-

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... ht=trumbel

Trumble sellers can smell money and will approach you for the first time when you have a certain amount in the bank. If you turn the offer down the offer may be repeated again after a while, but there not that common. You can always so no.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Paul_G wrote:
I've only been playing this game for about 45 minutes...
Welcome to our very, very, very friendly board (it used to be the friendliest this side of Riedquat until someone mistook another board's ambassador for a spammer and shot him...)
I traded in my ship for a Cobra mk I so that I could afford decent equipment and the ability to fill up my cargo hold
That's a stopgag mistake that many noobs commit: you may equip the ship, but it's a much weaker and smaller one in which you earn less money per trip.

Try to keep the Cobra 3 until you can upgrade to a larger ship instead, or borrow from the Black Monks... but do pay them back!
(Yes... 'Poor Flying' and 'Flying near the sun' ARE related :oops: ... there's a trick to replenishing fuel that I haven't quite mastered yet.)
Practice makes perfect, and what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
Unless, of course, you got maimed, burned, rad-poisoned, etc. in the process - those things aren't known for strenghtening anyone...
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Helvellyn
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Helvellyn »

Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
I traded in my ship for a Cobra mk I so that I could afford decent equipment and the ability to fill up my cargo hold
That's a stopgag mistake that many noobs commit: you may equip the ship, but it's a much weaker and smaller one in which you earn less money per trip.
It would be nice to have an option to start from a crap ship, Elite-A like, so you have to earn the decent Cobra MkIII.
HueijRevisited
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by HueijRevisited »

Helvellyn wrote:
It would be nice to have an option to start from a crap ship, Elite-A like, so you have to earn the decent Cobra MkIII.
But you can always install the mPakRedux OXP and trade your shiny new Cobra for a rusty one. It's only slightly slower and less powerful than a new one, but you have money enough to buy some important upgades and a full cargo hold.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Paul_G wrote:
I've only been playing this game for about 45 minutes... I traded in my ship for a Cobra mk I so that I could afford decent equipment and the ability to fill up my cargo hold, and I got one.

They're pretty annoying... are they that common?

I too ended up getting killed right after I got one. But that was just because of poor flying. I can tell you that flying near the sun doesn't kill them.

Hopefully if it happens again I can just eject and get a new ship. :?
Hi, Paul_G, and welcome to the boards and of course to this great game!

Well, all of the new Jamesons need to make their experiences [skips a looooong "when-I-was-young-and-started-my-career"-talk], and you're right in the middle of that process. Unfortunately there are some shady characters out there in the Ooniverse who will take advantage shamelessly of your lack of experience. And before you know what happened to you you'll have got an unwanted pet in your ship. And it's really hard to get rid of again, once it's there. And you're right: Just flying a bit near the sun won't kill it. It's all about experience this one as well.

But don't worry too much. Eventually you'll master it all. Follow the hints you have been given here so far. And if you've got more questions, be welcome again!

There are some really useful tipps for a beginner in the Oolite Wiki as well. Just follow the link. I recommend also the FAQ-page of the wiki.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

On the subject of using the escape pod to get rid of the furries, I don't think it works at all. For some reason, one of the little fellas always manages to make its way to the escape pod with you. Sooner or later your new ship will be flooded with them again [sigh].
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Indeed! The only thing it does is buying you some time until the trumble starts to multiply again.

No, there is only one way to get rid of them once and for all, and we all know what it is, don't we? Even if Paul_G still has to find out how to do it correctly. (Has anybody some spare BBQ-sauce for him?) :roll: