Torus space stations' sphere of influence

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

fronclynne
Deadly
Deadly

Re: Torus space stations' sphere of influence

Post by fronclynne »

Commander McLane wrote:
Could debris around a Torus station also be caused by NPCs trying to fly through the wheel and failing (because they're too slow for the turning wheel and are cut in half or something)?
I don't know about anyone else, but I've never seen a NPC try to fly through the spokes. Might be a hoot to add in, though. Something to provide variety from the occasional NPC who just flies straight out the dock and smashes into the beacon.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

fronclynne wrote:
Something to provide variety from the occasional NPC who just flies straight out the dock and smashes into the beacon.
This should be a thing of the past. It's been ages since I've seen this old chestnut of a bug in my game.

And I don't think that NPC's actually would try to fly through the spokes. I tend to think that the AI treats a Torus station as a solid object, and therefore would not attempt to fly through it. But I'm not sure, hence my question.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

I've sat and watched many Torus stations, and I've yet to see an NPC ship attempt the fly-through.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

El Viejo wrote:
I've sat and watched many Torus stations, and I've yet to see an NPC ship attempt the fly-through.
fronclynne states there are double ring Torus stations and that blew me away. Have not see one.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

CaptSolo wrote:
El Viejo wrote:
fronclynne states there are double ring Torus stations and that blew me away. Have not see one.
Yes, there are. If memory serves me well, there are three or four different type of toruses, an at least one is double ringed.

Generally Torus stations are found in the highest tech systems only. Therefore it's even less likely to see a specific variant.
fronclynne
Deadly
Deadly

Post by fronclynne »

Commander McLane wrote:
CaptSolo wrote:
Yes, there are. If memory serves me well, there are three or four different type of toruses, an at least one is double ringed.

Generally Torus stations are found in the highest tech systems only. Therefore it's even less likely to see a specific variant.
Probably the closest one to Lave, at Onrira:
Cody

Post by Cody »

Good fun, is that! As is injectoring through the spokes on docking approach.
I've replaced all the native Ico stations with extra Torus stations... I like them!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Since the concrete blocks are stationary in both cases the KE of the impact is all from the car, so it should be capped out at the speed which the car hits the block(s) - could this be translated into Oolite code somehow?
Note that “x is stationary” doesn’t have any magical meaning, it just states a preferred frame of reference, and it isn’t really a very useful one in a 3D simulation of free-floating objects. For normal ship-to-ship collisions – as Eric said, collisions with the inside of the docking bay are different – Oolite works in terms of relative velocity between the two colliding entities and calculates a fully elastic collision (with damage to each party being linearly proportional to the imparted impulse).

A fully elastic collision implies that the ships are completely rigid, which is pretty ridiculous in the case of a giant space station, but there’s no chance of a detailed damage model and quick fixes are a bad idea by their very nature. (For instance, a damage cap might mean that you could get away with being thwacked by the outer end of a torus spoke, which I think should insta-kill any vaguely reasonable player ship regardless of how much it ought to deform the station in the process.)

The damage model for inside the docking bay should probably be revised to work more like the general collision model, with a fixed inertia for the station/docking bay and taking closing velocity into account. Currently it’s (5 * flight speed) damage points per second while touching the edge, regardless of the direction of flight.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Ahruman wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
Since the concrete blocks are stationary in both cases the KE of the impact is all from the car, so it should be capped out at the speed which the car hits the block(s) - could this be translated into Oolite code somehow?
Note that “x is stationary” doesn’t have any magical meaning, it just states a preferred frame of reference, and it isn’t really a very useful one in a 3D simulation of free-floating objects. For normal ship-to-ship collisions – as Eric said, collisions with the inside of the docking bay are different – Oolite works in terms of relative velocity between the two colliding entities and calculates a fully elastic collision (with damage to each party being linearly proportional to the imparted impulse).

A fully elastic collision implies that the ships are completely rigid, which is pretty ridiculous in the case of a giant space station, but there’s no chance of a detailed damage model and quick fixes are a bad idea by their very nature. (For instance, a damage cap might mean that you could get away with being thwacked by the outer end of a torus spoke, which I think should insta-kill any vaguely reasonable player ship regardless of how much it ought to deform the station in the process.)

The damage model for inside the docking bay should probably be revised to work more like the general collision model, with a fixed inertia for the station/docking bay and taking closing velocity into account. Currently it’s (5 * flight speed) damage points per second while touching the edge, regardless of the direction of flight.
True. I was thinking (badly) that at slow speeds, close to the centre of rotation, if the objects were truly floating, then a ship clipping the inside of the station wall is more likely to be driven down/around by the impact (ignoring deformation of ship/station wall) rather than being insta-death - but if the collision damage model wasn't designed that way... then pilots need to learn to not crash!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
... then pilots need to learn to not crash!
The Daddy has spoken :lol:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

I don't think I have witnessed any NPC crashes at Torus stations at all, then again it is not so often that I meet them Torus stations.
El Viejo wrote:
[double torus] Good fun, is that! As is injectoring through the spokes on docking approach.
I've replaced all the native Ico stations with extra Torus stations... I like them!
My main concern with these is that I can fly right through the spikes and/or rings (the parts that look like they are solid) of this one without any "press space" or such. :?
Don't know for other Torus models, only noticed it on the double ones.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
True. I was thinking (badly) that at slow speeds, close to the centre of rotation, if the objects were truly floating, then a ship clipping the inside of the station wall is more likely to be driven down/around by the impact (ignoring deformation of ship/station wall) rather than being insta-death - but if the collision damage model wasn't designed that way... then pilots need to learn to not crash!
Ships are actually pushed away from the inside walls of the dock on touching. But the code is very primitive and only repositions a ship to the centre of the dock on colliding with it. The further the ship is in the dock, the stronger is this effect if I read the code right. Probably to give a real feeling of colliding with something. Better would be when the ship also would get a new velocity direction, away from the wall like really bouncing back :wink: But maybe that would make docking to easy.
Cody

Post by Cody »

snork wrote:
My main concern with these is that I can fly right through the spikes and/or rings (the parts that look like they are solid) of this one without any "press space" or such.
That shouldn't happen. If I hit a spoke, I'm dead... pdq!
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

snork wrote:
I don't think I have witnessed any NPC crashes at Torus stations at all, then again it is not so often that I meet them Torus stations.
I have. Also, by the time I have flown from the witchpoint to the Torus, there are usually some cargo canisters floating around it. Last night I spent ages visiting all the dockables in a system with a double (it looked like a triple - do they exist?) Torus and when I finally got round to visiting the Torus space station there was a cloud of cargo pods and metal plates floating around it.

I put on my docking computer and felt I had to switch it off and stop suddenly when I was within a quarter of my Python's length away from the edge of the Torus. I reckon the top of my Python was going to catch the edge of the ring. With hindsight (one day I'll order some in advance) I should have taken screendumps. :(

Having spent ages visiting all the dockables I was not inclined to risk being destroyed just to see what would happen next if I let the docking computer keep going.
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

SandJ wrote:
Having spent ages visiting all the dockables I was not inclined to risk being destroyed just to see what would happen next if I let the docking computer keep going.
Welcome to the life as a test pilot :D It's not Uber lasers and injectors all the time, just most of it :wink:
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"