Elite - The New Kind

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Cody

Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

i believe there was some repair system available in Frontier, nanobots or some cryptic excuse, that would be canny as a (fairly expensive) upgrade. say, repair 1% damage in 3 secs or so, just to keep the tension going a bit, or make it run off your power like the cloak does so that the benefit of repairing yourself is offset against time and/or power management concerns.
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Killer Wolf wrote:
i believe there was some repair system available in Frontier, nanobots or some cryptic excuse, that would be canny as a (fairly expensive) upgrade. say, repair 1% damage in 3 secs or so, just to keep the tension going a bit, or make it run off your power like the cloak does so that the benefit of repairing yourself is offset against time and/or power management concerns.
If FE2 and FFE the equipament's space had to be subtracted from the inner space. The hull auto-repair system took 40 tons worth of space; add to that engines, lasers, shields, fuel, avionics, etc. and you find it could only be installed on large traders.

Besides it was good only to repair the hull - any damaged equipament (thrusters included) had to be repaired on a shipyard. That meant that you could find yourself having to make a Newtonian approach on a high-G world with atmosphere without atmospheric shielding nor bottom and main thrusters, what we could call a "reversing grilled fat escargot".
Heaps of fun, as far as I'm concerned, but that's one of the reasons some spacers dislike physics!
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
That meant that you could find yourself having to make a Newtonian approach on a high-G world with atmosphere without atmospheric shielding nor bottom and main thrusters, what we could call a "reversing grilled fat escargot".
Your typical 'Brown Trousers Moment', then.....:wink:

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Helvellyn
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Helvellyn »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
That meant that you could find yourself having to make a Newtonian approach on a high-G world with atmosphere without atmospheric shielding nor bottom and main thrusters, what we could call a "reversing grilled fat escargot".
Your typical 'Brown Trousers Moment', then.....:wink:
Nah, anyone who's claimed to be any use at playing Frontier can't uphold that claim if they've never got to their destination with their main thruster damaged.

I have to admit I've never tried it with only both main and reverse damaged (wouldn't even be possible without JJFFE).
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

@Killer Wolf. If you like bits breaking off your victims as you hurt them, try Ramon's Dark Wheel Cobra OXP. This Cobra is the same as the normal cobra 3 in every way, its just a nicer model. (Based on the Cobra 3 on the orginal box of Elite). As its sub-ents are frangible, as you blast one, its antini masts and so on get blown off! :twisted:
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Captain Hesperus

LittleBear wrote:
@Killer Wolf. If you like bits breaking off your victims as you hurt them, try Ramon's Dark Wheel Cobra OXP. This Cobra is the same as the normal cobra 3 in every way, its just a nicer model. (Based on the Cobra 3 on the orginal box of Elite). As its sub-ents are frangible, as you blast one, its antini masts and so on get blown off! :twisted:
What might be nice is sub-entity hull sections with 'damage skins' underneath. So you shoot off, say, a forty foot hole over the engines and with a flash of an explosion, the innards of the engine are suddenly exposed!! Wouldn't be that hard to do, you'd just need to build a main body with the damaged skin, then clad it in sub-ents bearing the more normal hull design.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
What might be nice is sub-entity hull sections with 'damage skins' underneath. So you shoot off, say, a forty foot hole over the engines and with a flash of an explosion, the innards of the engine are suddenly exposed!! Wouldn't be that hard to do, you'd just need to build a main body with the damaged skin, then clad it in sub-ents bearing the more normal hull design.
From the EBBS, Jannah had (under the "Jonathan Bluestone" pseudonym) some impressive blueprints for the Cobra MkIII and the Eagle Long Range Fighter, but I don't know if they are still on the net as her sites are always going kaputt...

If there someone is interested, just post there and ask.
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

some lush ideas re damage there. what i'd love too is ship carcasses. given that an exploding ship shouldn't vapourise it, i'd love to have a bunch of ship carcasses modelled and textured - when you destory a ship you get the explosion etc and the ship model is replaced w/ a carcass. just like the ghost ships i guess!
that could lead itno the whole salvager OXP thing, find a carcass from previous NPC fights and scoop/tow it for cash.
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Found a post in another forum.
http://www.manoir3portes.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=281
The link to Coroflot is abandoned so I couldn't find the blueprints, but there's a Yahoo e-mail: jonbluestone@
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Well done, I don't recall seeing those before, some really good stuff. I didn't know you could dock a Cobra mkIII sideways though :wink:
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

It's nice, but I was actually looking for the Cobra MKIII and the Eagle LRF schematics; unfortunately they're no longer available on the site they used to be.

Jannah had even added a little human figure as scale reference, neat stuff...
Captain Hesperus

TGHC wrote:
Well done, I don't recall seeing those before, some really good stuff. I didn't know you could dock a Cobra mkIII sideways though :wink:
Hand-brake/Boot-legger turn?

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

LittleBear wrote:
More fun with shootable subents --

The Uturu (Utura?) ships have a lot of subents as well. I recall setting all them frangible so I could have fun performing 'laser surgery' on it. :twisted:

The Phoenix has frangible engine subents that damage the ship when they get hit and explode.

The Weeviloids have pieces that can be shot off. And there's a couple of others that I can't recall right now.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Captain Hesperus

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
And there's a couple of others that I can't recall right now.
The Wolf Mk II, the Cat/Cougar, LB's Pirate Renegades, the Cobra Rapier...

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

...not to forget the Imperial Courier...