EBs

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Energy Bombs..

are Elite legacy written in stone, to be left as they are..
10%
could use some modification, though nothing this extreme..
29%
should go along these spot-on suggestions..
62%

Total votes: 21

aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Well, I'm investigating the possibility of buying and mounting these new energy bombs / quirium cascade mines in place of regular missiles. That way they can be added alongside the traditional energy-bomb and triggered by pressing 'm' when a mounted bomb is selected.

EDIT: Picture of cascading explosions - note the scanner display in the full picture (click).
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
Mad Dan Eccles
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Mad Dan Eccles »

Cool.

(And I'm sure I asked this before, but what's with the 7 (seven) energy banks?!)
Master of Mayhem

"The name's derived from Object Oriented eLite so you could say "Oh! Oh! Leet!", but that might sound too much like g33k sex."
Darkbee
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Darkbee »

I'm assuming you mean that missiles would still be present in the game but that mines could replace missiles in the available pylons. Sounds dangerous... so I could accidentally fire off a mine instead of a missile? It's a neat idea though, especially for ships with a small number of pylons... gives them options.

For what it's worth the original Energy Bombs would be really annoying in a multiplayer version of Oolite OR if AI ships had them. They get my vote for total replacement (or should that be total destruction?)... unless, an Original Game vs Extended Features option does become available in game (in which case, naturally they'd be available in the original game model).

[double edit]
You changed your post on me!! (that means you, Aegidian!) :)

Also, I was just thinking along the lines of accidentally firing off a weapon and remembered Pulp Fiction... "I think I shot Marvin in the face". Something completely irrelevant but humourous none-the-less.
[\double edit]
Darkbee
Oolite: A grOovy Kind of Love
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Darkbee wrote:
I'm assuming you mean that missiles would still be present in the game but that mines could replace missiles in the available pylons. Sounds dangerous... so I could accidentally fire off a mine instead of a missile?
Yes, that's it, though there'd probably be a visual (and audible) reminder of what's on the selected pylon.
Mad Dan Eccles wrote:
(And I'm sure I asked this before, but what's with the 7 (seven) energy banks?!)
Flying a Wolf Mark II for these tests. Loadsa energy!
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
Lazygun
Average
Average

Original game Energy bombs 'too powerful'

Post by Lazygun »

In the original game, energy bombs were necessary because the enemies were much more dangerous. I suspect it's because they all had captured lethal-thargoid style omnidirectional lasers or at least fudged the aiming

Code: Select all

if not (facing_in_completely_the_wrong_direction) then
  zap_player_with_450_volts
end if
and also because space was *thick* with pirates and if you didn't deal with them quickly another group would appear on the scanner, and another group...

I know that when hyperspacing into a multi-gov system, the *first* thing I did was go to the short-range map and set my escape route (fuel permitting). Hyperspace, energy bomb, galactic hyperspace - sometimes I'd need to use all three just to survive, and sometimes it just wasn't enough. So, yeah, the energy bomb was a one-shot panic-button which very often only gave you a short respite.

Certain features of Oolite, for example the fixed number of pirates set up at system initialisation, mean the panic button isn't needed nearly as often.
Don't give me any of that 'intelligent life' stuff. Find me something I can blow up!" - Lt. Doolittle

My Pirate Coves add-on is now available from OOSat
Pocki
Harmless
Harmless

Post by Pocki »

How about this:

Make the Energy-Bomb explosion much faster, let's say 0.6LS or so. You'd have to use your Fuel Injection to be fast enough to make it away save. And if you're not fast enough, the damage done to your ship should depend on your ships relative speed to the way the cloud of destruction expands - flying away from it won't destroy you, even if the explosion is faster than you and catches up. If you head towards the center - byebye... (I hope anybody get's my idea, talking about all this SciFi-stuff is far beyond my active english... :? )

Pocki
Calvin: "How comes we play war and not peace?"
Hobbes: "Too few role models..."
Mad Dan Eccles
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Mad Dan Eccles »

aegidian wrote:
Flying a Wolf Mark II for these tests. Loadsa energy!
Ah, righto. I was wondering if something had gone horribly, terribly wrong with mah instahl.

;)
Master of Mayhem

"The name's derived from Object Oriented eLite so you could say "Oh! Oh! Leet!", but that might sound too much like g33k sex."
Lazygun
Average
Average

Post by Lazygun »

Actually it could be fun to have these weakened energy bombs take up space as cargo, be ejected like cargo, and appear on the scanner as cargo, at least for a few seconds.

And then they go into countdown mode...
"I'm a thirty-second bomb! I'm a thirty-second bomb! Twenty-nine...Twenty-eight..." (Starship troopers, R.A.H.)
[/quote]
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

Lazygun wrote:
And then they go into countdown mode...
"I'm a thirty-second bomb! I'm a thirty-second bomb! Twenty-nine...Twenty-eight..." (Starship troopers, R.A.H.)
Maybe we could argue with them and try to convince them not to explode yet... :wink:
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
Lazygun
Average
Average

Post by Lazygun »

Star Gazer wrote:
Maybe we could argue with them and try to convince them not to explode yet... :wink:
"Bomb, how do you know you aren't just a computer simulation?"
Don't give me any of that 'intelligent life' stuff. Find me something I can blow up!" - Lt. Doolittle

My Pirate Coves add-on is now available from OOSat
Grey
Poor
Poor

Post by Grey »

Lots of interesting ideas!!

I kinda like the SW EPII asteriod field idea, kinda like a timed mine which is dropped from the cargo bay. Not sure if it should replace the current EB tho, seems more appropriate as an additional weapon.

How about EMP´s?

With the clear and visible danger of strafing far away from the purist concept of the Elite game, an EMP bomb could render all close by vessels out of control for somthing like 5-10 seconds, just long enough to catch your breath and build up some shields...or run away...
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

that scanner blast representation above is gorgeous. Quirium Cascade Mines, are they?

the new bomb seems like it will be a fun tool that one can frequently use with clean conscience, unlike the old one. (Darkbee likened it to a cheat feature, and I couldn't agree more..)

slipping them into the pylons for potential posession of several is a very cool thought. still curious about detonation timing and how talkative they will be ;).
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

Murgh wrote:
...still curious about detonation timing and how talkative they will be ;).
...they could even 'lie'... ...'I'm a thirty second 100Mton nuclear device, 29 seconds, and counting, 28 seconds, 27 seconds....BANG!!' :shock:
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
Mad Dan Eccles
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Mad Dan Eccles »

". . . I lied"
Master of Mayhem

Grey
Poor
Poor

Post by Grey »

Lol!

How about manually triggered detonation?