Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

oolite multiplayer server version?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

nijineko
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

oolite multiplayer server version?

Post by nijineko »

is there an oolite multiplayer server, or is one in the works, or even on the drawingboard, or perhaps a few sketches in someones attic?
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?

Play games. Win Amazon gift cards! Brag. Repeat.
United Blobs
Competent
Competent

Post by United Blobs »

All noes.
nijineko
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by nijineko »

sigh. ^^

Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

nijineko wrote:
sigh. ^^
But don't take that as a 'Don't even bother trying to figure it yourself'. Search the boards, this has been asked several times and several theoretical strands have emerged from it. If you can figure a method, then by all means shout about it. As it stands at the moment, the development of Oolite is primarily single-player, off-line format.

P.S. welcome to the boards. :wink:

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Kliest
Poor
Poor

Post by Kliest »

For those who want on-line playing, my brother has been playing Jumpgate for quite some time and he likes it a lot. He claims it a lot like Elite.
I could/can not stand to pay the monthly fee. But him talking about it is what got me looking for an Elite game.
We shall see if I love Oolite, curse its existence, or quite possibly both, in the near future.
Kliest
nijineko
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by nijineko »

i just might make that my comp sci senior project, once i get that far along.... what language are we using here? (i know i saw it somewhere, but i'm not feeling like searching for it just at the moment....)

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Just browse through the other multi-player threads. You'll find it explained and discussed in-depth sooner or later.
United Blobs
Competent
Competent

Post by United Blobs »

nijineko wrote:
i just might make that my comp sci senior project, once i get that far along.... what language are we using here? (i know i saw it somewhere, but i'm not feeling like searching for it just at the moment....)
Home Page wrote:
Oolite is a space sim game, inspired by Elite, powered by Objective-C and OpenGL.
nijineko
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by nijineko »

thank you! much appreciated. =D

Wolfspirit
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Wolfspirit »

OK after reading for awhile i know that there is a desire for a multiplayer version of Oolite, yet no one knows how to do this. I dont know if any of you ever played the MMORPG UO (Ultima Online) but there was some one that took UO and redesigned it so that it could be played for free by people that couldnt afford to pay the monthly fee. (wish i had all those months worth of fee's back uuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggg 7 years worth) But i digress........

Anyway UO was a server based game and all the monsters treasures ect were ran by the server so there was no offline version of the game, as well you HAD to pay EA to play on thier server since thier source code was encrypted (HEAVY encryption) well some one broke it and created a program version of it that people could install on to thier PC so that they didnt have to pay EA to play it.

(told you guys in my first post that I can be wordy sometimes)

ANYWAY my point is that it can be done. With UO it was done by making someones PC the server which ran the whole game and allowed other people to log in to thier PC as the game server. So why cant the same thing be done with Oolite? (no i dont know how to do that but ive already started looking for the people that did do it to try and enlist thier aid in doing it for this game since the game is free) Also if any of you are gamers, games like Diblo Diablo2 the warcrat series and the C&C series had options to allow a person to host games effectively making thier PC's a game server.

Now with Oolite it may be that an entire networking protocol may need to be written which will probably take a feeeewwwwww weeks at the least to do then it will have to be tested then de-bugged.....................

i hope this helps you guys that are also looking to play this game with others find a way to do it.
Because i for 1 would love to beable to hunt in solar systems with some friends and teach those %&**^&*&(*(*(*&(&%^&*&^*^&$%#$^%*&^ pirate groups what it feels like to get jumped by 12 people!
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

There is a multiplayer version currently being developed by Edzup, have a look here
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Wolfspirit wrote:
ANYWAY my point is that it can be done. With UO it was done by making someones PC the server which ran the whole game and allowed other people to log in to thier PC as the game server. So why cant the same thing be done with Oolite?
Because adapting a networked game to be played in a slightly different network configuration is utterly, completely different to retrofitting network capability onto a single-player game.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

As I've said afore I'd love to see an online MMP version of Oolite. The sheer coolness of seeing my Imperial Courier appear in Captain H's sights and visa versa would be immense. But as the Big A has said, it would mean a re-write of the game from scratch, not just a bit of tinkering. I remember playing 8 player Doom on-line 15 years ago, so it probabley is do-able from a tech stand point. But whats doable for the guys at ID isn't doable necessarly from the POV of 30 somthing dudes with mortgages, daughters, wives and real life jobs to look after! :wink:

However, if any brave type wants to give it a go, he/she would have the gratitude of all Commanders and lots of help with playtesting!
Last edited by LittleBear on Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Captain Hesperus

Post by Captain Hesperus »

LittleBear wrote:
I remember playing 8 player Doom on-line 15 years ago, so it probabley is do-able from a tech stand point.
Ah, the memories of unauthorised LAN Doom II Deathmatches in my old Uni computer labs. We once got up to a 30-player frag-fest......

But I digress. Carry on, as you were.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

LittleBear wrote:
But whats doable for the guys at ID isn't doable necessarly from the POV of 30 somthing dudes with mortgages, daughters, wives and real life jobs to look after! :wink:
And who would those be?

I probably could write a networked game, but if I did, it wouldn’t be a rewrite of Oolite.