Oolite test release 1.69

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Think the No Shipyard bug has been around for a while. It goes away after a bit. Make a few H jumps and the Shipyard comes back again.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
thirdeye77
Above Average
Above Average

Post by thirdeye77 »

But the shipyard is actually there and has plenty for sale - it just won't let me buy any :(

Selecting a ship to buy just gives a beep and nothing else. I thought this may be down to a dodgy OXP shipyard.plist or shipdata.plist so I tested with no OXPs installed and it still happens with the native ships.

I've got a python class cruiser with a trade in value of 490,000 credits plus 640,000 credits in the bank but I can't even trade it in for a basic Adder!
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

@thirdeye77: Confirm there is a shipyard problem, I just bought a Fer De Lance and a Boa Cruiser, Asp and a Boa no problems, but I cannot buy Cobra MK1, Adder, Llama, Python and generally any "cheap" ship listed. Also, once I buy one of the "buyable" ones, I cannot do any ship swap in the shipyard any more.

Also, the invalid enumerant error is a known issue and is under investigation. It does not however seem to affect anything, so for now you can disable the message, if it gets in the way of gameplay by editing logcontrol.plist in Resources/Config and changing the line that reads

Code: Select all

rendering.opengl.error					= $error;				// Test for and display OpenGL errors
to

Code: Select all

rendering.opengl.error					= no;				// Test for and display OpenGL errors
Since I get the same error on my stderr.txt, I kindly ask you to send me a copy of your stderr.txt, to check what graphics card is used, what OGL extensions are present etc.
[Edit] Errm, yeah... mail would be nikbar2004 at yahoo dot com.
[Edit2] Corrected the displayed code.
Last edited by another_commander on Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Rock On Another Commander!

This is no ordinary man.............This is BICYCLE REPAIR MAN! [1]
[1] (with deference to Monty Python)
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Gareth3377 wrote:
I'm having a problem with 1.69 as well. After taking out the troublesome OXPs the game loads fine. However, when I try to hyperspace to a new system the game just freezes. Any idea why?
Missed this one earlier… please post/e-mail a log (PYMOLCLSXGQP squiggle spammotel point com), and if you do find that it’s related to an OXP, please tell us which one.
thirdeye77 wrote:
But the shipyard is actually there and has plenty for sale - it just won't let me buy any
Blah. Confirmed.
Last edited by JensAyton on Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Just posting to report that blowing up ships with subentities is 'crashing' OOlite on works pc as well, both have Nvidia graphics cards though, one has a 8800gts and the other a Geforce FX5200.
It looks like some subentities explode OK but others cause Oolite to instantly vanish. If i modify the shipdata.plist to set frangible to false the game is OK.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Griff wrote:
Just posting to report that blowing up ships with subentities is 'crashing' OOlite on works pc as well, both have Nvidia graphics cards though, one has a 8800gts and the other a Geforce FX5200.
It looks like some subentities explode OK but others cause Oolite to instantly vanish. If i modify the shipdata.plist to set frangible to false the game is OK.
I’m not able to confirm this with the dwcobra. Do you have a handle on which particular subentities are problematic?
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

sorry i haven't been able to work out which subentities are causing the problem, i've been experimenting on the griffkrait as it has fewer subentities than the dwcobra. i thought i'd worked out that it was the 'fuel injector' and the left & right beam laser subentities that were causing the problem, i removed them and oolite was working ok. great! i thought, so i quit the game and reduced the energy level of the main krait ship from 120 to 40 so i could blow them up easier in game but when i restarted oolite it began vanishing again even with what i thought were the problem subentities removed (the game always vanishes at exactly the same point, just as a subentity explodes - you see the explosion graphic being drawn then the game vanishes.) i put the energy level back to it's original value but the same is still crashing.
I'll keep investigating, i initially wondered if it was related to the main ship being destroyed whilst there were still subentities attached but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Edit Oh, i modified the ships speed & pitch & roll settings to those basically of an asteroid & put all the subentities back on the model, in game if i fly up to a griffkrait and make sure i shoot only the main model it will explode and oolite will not vanish, if however i fly up and destroy any of the griffkraits subentities oolite vanishes a split second after the explosion graphic is drawn. I think the reason i thought that some subentites were 'OK' and the others were not was that the OK ones were small and hard to hit whilst the 'bad' ones (the laser guns and the engine at the back) are large and easy to hit.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

I now have a crash report related to frangible sub-entities in the method that handles laser hit testing. One of the many ways in which Mac OS X is vastly superior is the nice crash reports. ;-)
Killer Instinct
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Killer Instinct »

Currently running 1.68 all appears to be well. Is it worth upgrading to 1.69 or should I wait until the bug squashers have edited first?
It's a fine line between clever and stupid
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Ahruman wrote:
I now have a crash report related to frangible sub-entities in the method that handles laser hit testing. One of the many ways in which Mac OS X is vastly superior is the nice crash reports. ;-)
Even Basic 2.0 was better than Windows whatever version.... ;-), in telling you what was wrong.... Windows Crash reports are the source of much amusement...

Btw im using windows XP Enterprise, and can´t use the Crash reports for anything usefull....
Bounty Scanner
Number 935