Fuel Tank OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

OK, I've given the fuel tank a low-probability missile role so that should stop the problem. I've updated the download link on the wiki or you can get it here.
Download Resistance Commander plus many other exciting OXPs HERE
nijineko
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by nijineko »

the fuel bit seem to happen to me when i'm riding the tail of the fugitive i'm chasing down and fly through the resulting explosion.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?

Play games. Win Amazon gift cards! Brag. Repeat.
Josef
Competent
Competent

Re: Fuel Tank OXP

Post by Josef »

Hi everybody,
does anybody know how much that equipment costs and on what TL it is possible to buy it?
Josef
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

There are so many fuel tank OXPs...

Assuming you mean Ramirez' one, version 2.2 being the latest available...
Cost 70cr, from TL6+ systems.

Note: BTW, you can find this info out for yourself if you want. Each OXZ file is just a ZIP file. If you rename the file with a ".zip" extension, the unzip the contents, you should see a folder called "Config". In there there is a file called "equipment.plist". In that file is the definition for each equipment item, noting that the TechLevel setting is zero based (and is converted to 1-based whenever you see it in-game), and the price is in deci-credits, so divide it by 10. WIth the fuel tanks example:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
   <array>
      <array>
         <integer>5</integer>
         <integer>700</integer>
         <string>Extra Fuel Tank</string>
         <string>EQ_FUELTANK_MINE</string>
         <string>Extra fuel tank installed in the weapons bay, containing 3ly of additional witchdrive fuel.  NOTE: Fuel transfer may only be carried out once per tank - any excess fuel not transferred to the main tanks will be jettisoned.</string>
         <dict>
            <key>available_to_all</key>
            <true/>
         </dict>
      </array>
   </array>
</plist>
The first number (5) is the TL, and the second number (700) is the price.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

phkb wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:38 am

Much, much better if Josef asks - it means that I update the relevant pages in the wiki for others in the future!

But I do wonder if there might be point in standardising the Fuel Tank OXPs?

We currently have:
*Fuel Tank: one-use tank holding 3ly. Mounts in Missile Pylon/Bay. 70₢. (Ramirez 2007)
*Internal Fuel Tank: one-use only tank holding 5ly. Mounts in Cargo Bay (takes up 5TC storage). 100₢. (Stranger 2018)
*Extra Fuel Tanks: reusable linked-together small tanks fitted into spare space in your ship: (1ly) or (3ly). Cost: 10,000 / 50,000₢. Refillable at main orbital stations (extra cost - 10₢/ly). (Smivs 2018)
*Duplex Fuel Tank: reusable tank: (3ly). Cost: 62,000₢. Mounts in Cargo Bay (takes up 8TC storage). Refillable by ''eg'' [[Sun skimming]]. (Timer 2013)

There seem to me to be three issues here.
* Can a 3ly one-use tank physically fit in a missile bay if a 3ly reusable tank takes up 8TC in the cargo bay? And how dangerous is it? One presumes that the 8TC volume of the reusable tank is due to safety considerations. How dangerous is the quirium fuel?
* The vast expense of Smiv's system makes sense when one reads his blurb - the complex web of small tanks, piping & pumps stuffed into the interstices of the ship - and done in such a way as to be safe - would require many hours of skilled craftswork. But the Duplex tank?
* One-use tank in Cargo Bay needs 1TC/ly. And disappears immediately after use, leaving space for scooping etc. Duplex tank in Cargo Bay needs 2.66TC/ly.

These issues undoubtedly arise due to four authors with different takes on the issue. For example, Stranger needs a cheap fuel tank for his Strangers World combination of massive star-systems (100,000+ km distances) with the HardWay oxp which uses up quirium fuel in non-hyperspace flight.

At some stage I think it would make sense to rejig these four very different oxps and rationalise them with a unified logic. Or else come up with a recommended set of tweaks for people who wish to harmonise them. Or devise a new oxp which adds spare capacity to every fuel tank: the physical limit of 7ly for a jump should not create a universal game limit of 7ly for a fuel tank.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:30 am

Much, much better if Josef asks - it means that I update the relevant pages in the wiki for others in the future!

We currently have:
*Fuel Tank: one-use tank holding 3ly. Mounts in Missile Pylon/Bay. 70₢. (Ramirez 2007)
*Internal Fuel Tank: one-use only tank holding 5ly. Mounts in Cargo Bay (takes up 5TC storage). 100₢. (Stranger 2018)
*Extra Fuel Tanks: reusable linked-together small tanks fitted into spare space in your ship: (1ly) or (3ly). Cost: 10,000 / 50,000₢. Refillable at main orbital stations (extra cost - 10₢/ly). (Smivs 2018)
*Duplex Fuel Tank: reusable tank: (3ly). Cost: 62,000₢. Mounts in Cargo Bay (takes up 8TC storage). Refillable by ''eg'' [[Sun skimming]]. (Timer 2013)

* Can a 3ly one-use tank physically fit in a missile bay if a 3ly reusable tank takes up 8TC in the cargo bay? And how dangerous is it? One presumes that the 8TC volume of the reusable tank is due to safety considerations. How dangerous is the quirium fuel?
* The vast expense of Smiv's system makes sense when one reads his blurb - the complex web of small tanks, piping & pumps stuffed into the interstices of the ship - and done in such a way as to be safe - would require many hours of skilled craftswork. But the Duplex tank?
* One-use tank in Cargo Bay needs 1TC/ly. And disappears immediately after use, leaving space for scooping etc. Duplex tank in Cargo Bay needs 2.66TC/ly.

These issues undoubtedly arise due to four authors with different takes on the issue. For example, Stranger needs a cheap fuel tank for his Strangers World combination of massive star-systems (100,000+ km distances) with the HardWay oxp which uses up quirium fuel in non-hyperspace flight.

At some stage I think it would make sense to rejig these four very different oxps and rationalise them with a unified logic. Or else come up with a recommended set of tweaks for people who wish to harmonise them. Or devise a new oxp which adds spare capacity to every fuel tank: the physical limit of 7ly for a jump should not create a universal game limit of 7ly for a fuel tank.
One more thing that I would not understand: Why can each of the equipment be installed once only?
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:39 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:30 am

We currently have:

One more thing that I would not understand: Why can each of the equipment be installed once only?
No. You can have as many of Ramirez's Fuel Tanks as you have Missile Pylons - and you can have as many of Strangers as can fit in your hold. You can only have the one Extra Fuel Tank - but it is upgradable from 1 to 3 ly. I would guess that you can have as many duplexes as will fit in your hold, but I never tried! I currently have a ship with one Smivs and 3 Ramirez tanks. Smivs are a pain as you can't use them until your usual fuel tank is empty.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Josef
Competent
Competent

Post by Josef »

Thanks to all of you!
Josef