Oolite FAQ - New Forum Members Please Read......

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Oolite FAQ - New Forum Members Please Read......

Post by Commander McLane »

I just did some tests with a Cobra III. Minimum distance from a Coriolis was about 4450 meters. That feels wrong to me.
Commander Wilmot
Deadly
Deadly

Re:

Post by Commander Wilmot »

polyh wrote:
The taxi contracts are never worth it. When I bought my second ship it came with two passenger berths so I've did quite some taxiing and it wasn't any good nor was it making notable amounts of money. Stay away from it.
Not true, before I became a mercenary and bounty hunter, I earned enough money to fully equip my Cobra III and buy and mostly outfit my second ship, a Cobra Rapier. I was at the top of the business and was earning 20k carting people across chart 1. Not bad for new commander who had just reached competent.
thenudehamster
Poor
Poor

Post by thenudehamster »

Zireael wrote:

*laughs* both of those happened to me. Ramming a police Viper in the engines happened too (BTW why do I have to become an Offender just for ramming it?...)
Yeah, but at least you rammed him. I got slagged as an Offender when one of them rammed me! I was on short finals (manual docking) and mere yards short of the port when this Viper dashed out like he was late for his donuts and bounced straight off my front shields - and I get the blame for it. I tell you, it's worse than being married to an Armenian (I was, for five years - but that's another story....)
BarryH - thenudehamster
(no it's nothing to do with naked pets, it's where I used to live.
Any opinion expressed above is herein warranted to be worth exactly what you paid for it.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

thenudehamster wrote:
Zireael wrote:

*laughs* both of those happened to me. Ramming a police Viper in the engines happened too (BTW why do I have to become an Offender just for ramming it?...)
Yeah, but at least you rammed him. I got slagged as an Offender when one of them rammed me! I was on short finals (manual docking) and mere yards short of the port when this Viper dashed out like he was late for his donuts and bounced straight off my front shields - and I get the blame for it. I tell you, it's worse than being married to an Armenian (I was, for five years - but that's another story....)
I think that's why there's now the ability to ask for permission to dock - if you don't ask, you've just got to get lucky getting in...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Oathbreaker
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Oathbreaker »

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 3567435786#

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Elite_on_TV

One of the two above should really be included in a History section of any Oolite FAQ imo, plus links to Frontier Development.
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Hi all,

To say that I am a little green at Oolite is something of an over estimation.. I trade between Leesti and Diso..Furs to Leesti, Computers to Diso.. I am pretty much souped up with docking computers and extra cargo space got about 12 k in the bank and lookin to get some shield boosters at 14 k from Leesti which for a poor planet sure has a great supermarket and ship show room.

Any how 1985 , i took to the skys on a ZX spectrum when the game " Elite " was run of a cassette tape..

So I am of a certain age when I thought Elite was the bees knees.. Anyway.. many years past and my old crate was moth balled..

Then Having got me a Windows 64 bit 8 gee gee Laptop... I got to thinking, wouldn't it be great If this ole space trader could come out of retirement...Well Santa came good (or whoever the saint's are that re wrote the game) December 15 2011... Oolite 1.76.... All hail the return..

Any how..

Here is the green question.. There will be more but this is for the start.. I know I have been doing loads of milk runs but When I go to download an OXP.. It comes in fine, I click to open it(which I figure will integrate it and I get this pop up saying windows don't recognise the file.. So anyway. Silver surfers stupid question of the day. Is how do I integrate, add an OXP to the existing game. ( I do note that the game comes with one already in the initial down load)...

Any way thats all for now folks, Its great to hook up with fellow supporters of this classic game. I am going to get off now and see if I can finally get that shield booster. No one likes being shot at :)

All the best Duggan...Though now apparently I am known as Jameson...A Nom de plume, or trading name I guess.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Firstly, welcome, greetings etc etc to the Friendliest Forum this side of Riedquat (tm).

To install OXPs, you need to first uncompress them (most are supplied in zip file format, although there are occasionally some variations). This should yield a folder which ends in .oxp, plus usually a readme and some other blurb. It may be that you get a separate folder which contains them, depending on how things are packed up.

Anyway what you need to do is move the folder ending .oxp (plus all that's inside it of course, but if you move the .oxp then the content should follow on) into the addOns folder inside the game installation directory (the one that already contains Basic-debug.oxp, the existing OXP you mention as being installed already).

It's always worth reading aforesaid readme files of course, and perhaps even also copying them into the .oxp folder before you move it so that you have it for reference later on (some people supply two copies, one in the "wrapper" folder and the other in the .oxp folder, so if you get asked about overwriting don't worry about it).

Lastly just enjoy your new .oxp ;)
Last edited by Thargoid on Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Duggan wrote:
Here is the green question.. There will be more but this is for the start.. I know I have been doing loads of milk runs but When I go to download an OXP.. It comes in fine, I click to open it(which I figure will integrate it and I get this pop up saying windows don't recognise the file.. So anyway. Silver surfers stupid question of the day. Is how do I integrate, add an OXP to the existing game. ( I do note that the game comes with one already in the initial down load)...
Most OXPs come as a .zip file. you will need to unpack that. Windows can extract files normally, or you can use software like WinZip.

You will get a folder, inside of which will be text files, usually the readme and license, and another folder that is named something.oxp. That folder should be copied into the AddOns folder.

EDIT: ninja'd by the green one!
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Hi Duggan, welcome to the boards! Friendliest place this side of Riedquat, as measured on the Bowling-Xaxa Chumminess Index ...

Your pilot's name can be changed: when you're docked in a main station, just press F2 and save your commander under any name you want. "Jameson" is just the default.

To install an OXP, just unzip it – you should end up with a folder called "something.oxp" – and then put this folder inside the AddOns directory inside the Oolite directory, then restart the game.

(double-ninja'd!)
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Duggan wrote:
All the best Duggan...Though now apparently I am known as Jameson...A Nom de plume, or trading name I guess.
If you use the Save game option (F2) - not the Quick Save - you can change the name from Jameson to something else. Maybe Commander Duggan?

EDIT: OMG! Triple Ninja'd!!!! :?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Welcome Duggan.
I think most of us are 'of a certain age' here, so put your slippers on and make yourself at home.
Basically, what Thargoid said. For what it's worth I also have a folder in my 'Home' folder into which I move the .zip files...it's just an archive where I keep the OXPs I've downloaded 'as they come', then I know I've got everything tucked away somewhere safe as well as having the .oxp folder in AddOns.
Also, I'd suggest adding OXPs a few at a time so you can get used to each one-get to 'know' it before you move on to the next one. Also the general advice is to stick to eye-candy to start with (new skins for the ships, stations etc and planets) before you start adding OXPs that will alter gameplay.
Whatever, you'll love it. :D
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Thanks for the welcome and the advice folks.. I just got my shield booster from Leesti, as intended, It got a little harder towards the end as traveling around with ten = k tends to even out the commodity markets a lot. I imagine this will be more of a problem when I am saving big bucks for a new boat..

Thanks also for the OXP info.. It will help a lot , especially with silver surfers like me.. :)
I remember back in the day.. Elite was a majorly addictive and life consuming game.. I have already switched my 16 year old Son on to it.... And here is some real testimony.

At Christmas he got the latest game in a certain modern war franchise for his PS3... Yesterday he was on a game called Oolite for more of the time... How cool is that ? A Modern day £40.00 game. taking the back seat to a classic.. I was to say the least , very impressed with the timeless appeal of a really great game.

All the best Duggan... :D
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

Hi Duggan,
noticed that you received some really great help but in looking over the replies, there is something that was not mentioned.... with you being a grognard player, you may already know this but just in case, better to cover the bases and be a friendly ooliter:
after you have added the oxp to your folders, you need to hold down the shift key while starting up the game... hold until you get the screen shot of the MK III. This will ADD the oxp to the game otherwise, your oxp will not be loaded and you will be sitting there wanting to know what happened.good luck and happy hunting, trading, etc. etc. etc.
Last edited by Yah-Ta-Hey on Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

thank you again for your help,

I am finding it difficult to find a basic texture upgrade for corolis stations for the latest version of Oolite.

Smivs accessoriy oxp download link page says click the button below to download and yet there appears on the page to be no button to click..I figure that the latest Oolite may well not yet have a texture OXP.. No worries though, the game is brilliant anyway :D
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

This is the link to Smivs' Accessories OXP, Duggan (it just wasn't displayed on Smivs' website).

Oh... you don't actually need to do a shift/restart when installing OXPs. This is only needed when you've 'tinkered' with the contents of an OXP.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!