Oolite FAQ - New Forum Members Please Read......

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Amon2501
Competent
Competent

Re: Oolite FAQ - New Forum Members Please Read......

Post by Amon2501 »

Where does the escape pods go, when they`re released from the cargo bay? I`ve took the Slaves cargo from the dead pirates, then released them. Then i saw one cargopod with them and one escape pod heading somewhere (not towards the station BTW). And is there a way to save the slaves from the cargopods in core game?

And What can i do with such kind of ships, when the pirate ejected in escape pod and the ship just standing still in space? Board it somehow or just to kill?

CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Amon2501 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:51 pm
Where does the escape pods go, when they`re released from the cargo bay? I`ve took the Slaves cargo from the dead pirates, then released them. Then i saw one cargopod with them and one escape pod heading somewhere...
Escape pods are not released from the cargo bay. But when you scoop cargo pods they will occasionally contain slaves. You cannot release slaves from cargo pods, you can only sell them at a station. When a pirate or other NPC ejects from their ship their escape capsule may head for the main station or some other station such as a Rock Hermit.
What can i do with such kind of ships, when the pirate ejected in escape pod and the ship just standing still in space? Board it somehow or just to kill?
You cannot board ships unless someone has written an OXP that allows that. Otherwise you can either destroy it or leave it be.
Amon2501
Competent
Competent

Post by Amon2501 »

Thanks for the answers. One last question: today i`ve ran that 'oolite-update' linux program although it said that "your version is up to date", it seems like something was downloaded too. How can i check that my version of the game is stable and not the "nightly build" now?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

The nightly build should have a watermarked version number at top right, as in these pics.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Amon2501
Competent
Competent

Post by Amon2501 »

It seems everything is ok with the game version then.

Today i have entered the system and been attacked by a pirates saying "You took the wrong customer" like they says when you are carrying some cargo or parcel. But i Didnt. I`ve already transfered that parcel to it`s destination earlier. Well the more pirates the more kills and loot, but wasnt that a glitch somehow?
Cody

Post by Cody »

Some types of parcel attract the attention of assassins, and some of them have long memories. Even after delivery, you may still be hunted.
Amon2501
Competent
Competent

Post by Amon2501 »

Could you please explain me the Advanced Navigation Array`s logic? If i press it once (BTW that was a BAD idea to put it on the map key, but with the shift) it says for example: 6 jumps with a 96 hours for travel. But when i press the "shortest time", then it shows me a 9 jumps instead of 6 but now the travel time decreases. How could it be: more jumps but for the less time? Does it considers that i`ll also need to refuel my ship between the jumps? Therefore i need to reach the station, dock it and then refuelling takes a time too. Or how does it "thinks" while planning the route?
Cody

Post by Cody »

It's a quirk of hyperspace: travel time is the square of the distance, so a 4ly jump takes 16 hours, but a 2ly jump only takes 4 hours.
So two short jumps in the same general direction are quicker than one long jump. I hope that makes sense! <grins>

Quoted travel times are purely time spent in hyperspace - time spent in-system is extra.
Amon2501
Competent
Competent

Post by Amon2501 »

But of course i want to trade some goods and maybe to kill some pirates on my way to deliver the parcel. Otherwise the parcel delivery fares wont even buy me the fuel spent on the jumps. Is it safe to trust that ANA in that case?
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Amon2501 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:50 am
But of course i want to trade some goods and maybe to kill some pirates on my way to deliver the parcel. Otherwise the parcel delivery fares wont even buy me the fuel spent on the jumps. Is it safe to trust that ANA in that case?
It’s an estimate, not a promise - but generally speaking, the bulk of the time in any journey is spent in hyperspace. As a player, you won't notice this, but the game clock will wind forward several hours when you make a jump (it will take nearly 48 hours of game time, for example, to make the longest possible single jump).

Fitting new equipment and making repairs will also wind on the game clock (generally, the more expensive the item is, the longer it takes to fit and/or repair): even refuelling takes a few minutes.
Cody

Post by Cody »

What he said - and parcel contracts start to pay more as your courier rep improves. They can become quite lucrative (see thumbnail), but you'll find yourself fighting more (and tougher) assassins along the way.

Amon2501
Competent
Competent

Post by Amon2501 »

Can i save the route to the particular system without the need to re-assign it every time i looked the next system`s info? That`s really annoying.
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Once your route destination is set, on the F7 screen, you can use the left and right arrow keys to move through all the systems on your current route, to see the system info for each.
Cody

Post by Cody »

A useful addition to the ANA is the [EliteWiki] Display Current Course OXZ.
Amon2501
Competent
Competent

Post by Amon2501 »

And what`s the use of the escape pods for the player himself? If something goes wrong i can always just to load a saved game, and afaik there is no permadeath mode.