Oolite FAQ - New Forum Members Please Read......

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Oolite FAQ - New Forum Members Please Read......

Post by Cody »

Duggan wrote:
Do I delete out the old visual FX OXPs(Accessory's and DeepSpaceShips) from the expansion pack folder prior to running the game again?
Yep... that is best.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Robsoie
Poor
Poor

Post by Robsoie »

Hello,

Is it possible to have mouse control forced on by default when starting a new commander/launching the game instead of having to press CTRL+SHIFT+M (i prefer this mouse control over the SHIFT+M one) every time ?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Hello Robsole, and welcome aboard! 8)

Sadly, to the best of my knowledge, it isn't possible at the moment. Hopefully your question will inspire the developers to add mouse settings to the options in the Game Options for the next release.

Can anyone think of a workaround in the meantime? It may help if you can tell us if you're using Windows, Mac or Linux.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Robsoie
Poor
Poor

Post by Robsoie »

Thank you for the answer , hopefully it will end one day in the options screen :)
jeffron
Above Average
Above Average

Post by jeffron »

I'm so glad I finally read this whole post. I love Ooolite and it's my only game. I have to say, I did not know about the contracts... and after settling into a serious campaign I stopped messing around and was very careful not to pirate or transport illegals. I mined a little; not much. I made my way (no cheating) to a millionare over a month and a half of concerted effort in the passenger buisiness. I'm exited to try the contracts, and compare... but I made (is it okay to reveal this?) 80,000 + credits on one trip across galaxy 1 with six cargo bays and by keeping them as full as possible with trips close to my route. I got very good at skinning the trip to the marrow; having just enough time for that last big money passenger and I traded whatever I could. this was after getting to 250,000 with the Cobra and similar tactics. I guess I did it the hard way? It sure was fun. Flying a Pelamis now, looking for the perfect ship, still haven't explored much of galaxy 2.
Tell me again why I've got to drink three pints?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

jeffron wrote:
I made my way (no cheating) to a millionare over a month and a half of concerted effort in the passenger buisiness. I'm exited to try the contracts, and compare... but I made (is it okay to reveal this?) 80,000 + credits on one trip across galaxy 1 with six cargo bays and by keeping them as full as possible with trips close to my route.
You'll love the cargo contracting business, then jeffron.. over 100,000 credits profit on a cross-galaxy run is not hard to pull off.. :D
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

How fast do shields regenerate in vanilla Oolite? I tried finding it in the Wiki and in the forums and nope...
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Zireael wrote:
How fast do shields regenerate in vanilla Oolite? I tried finding it in the Wiki and in the forums and nope...
Assuming sufficient energy is available - if you are low on energy it will take longer - a basic shield will refill from empty in about a minute. With a shield booster, two minutes are needed to recharge the bigger shields. With military shield enhancement as well, the recharge rate is increased slightly, so it still only takes two minutes.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

cim wrote:
Assuming sufficient energy is available - if you are low on energy it will take longer - a basic shield will refill from empty in about a minute. With a shield booster, two minutes are needed to recharge the bigger shields. With military shield enhancement as well, the recharge rate is increased slightly, so it still only takes two minutes.
In related news, I thought of adding Navy Shield Boosters OXP (an upgrade over Military Shields :P) but cannot see where the added shields from shield booster/mil shield come from in the code. Help?
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Zireael wrote:
cannot see where the added shields from shield booster/mil shield come from in the code.
These are handled in the core code, from OXP level player.ship.maxForwardShield is read-only.
Check Shield Capacitors, Shield Cycler and worth a search in [wiki]OXP_List[/wiki] for related keywords to avoid building what somebody made already. ;)
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Umm, thinking of making some of my OXPs into OXZ format but can't find an 'OXZ for Dummies' guide anywhere, help?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

I've been working on one.. should be up soon.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Zireael wrote:
Umm, thinking of making some of my OXPs into OXZ format but can't find an 'OXZ for Dummies' guide anywhere, help?
Ok.. this is now online.
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16688
ChazFox
Above Average
Above Average

Post by ChazFox »

Hello again! It's been a while since I've played, and I see there's a new version of the game out! How do I change my commander name in 1.80? Saving the game and choosing my name there doesn't seem to do it, so I'm stuck as a Jameson on the station menus D:
Food - Fuel - Fuzzy Aliens
Why not pay us a visit?
Cody

Post by Cody »

Hey Chaz - go to F4/Edit ship registration. Commander names, and ship names, can be changed there!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!