Oolite FAQ - New Forum Members Please Read......

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Oolite FAQ - New Forum Members Please Read......

Post by Wildeblood »

Yah-Ta-Hey wrote:
after ou have added the oxp to your folders, you need to hold down the shift key while starting up the game... hold until you get the screen shot of the MK III. This will ADD the oxp to the game otherwise, your oxp will not be loaded and you will be sitting there wanting to know what happened.
Not so, Yah-Ta-Hey. If you've just added a new OXP it will be detected and loaded. You only need to hold the shift key during start-up if you've dropped in a new version of an OXP with the exact same folder name as the previous version.

Well, it's already 2012 here, so happy new year, everyone.
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

Thank you, I stand corrected by 2 very knowledgable commanders.
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Many thanks for your help , I have . thanks to you folks been able to add the accessory OXP to my expansion pack folders. It ran straight from the loading of a saved game. Already I am delighted with the improved appearance of the game, so thank you once again... You guys rock :)
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Duggan wrote:
You guys rock
Aye, that we do... welcome aboard, Duggan!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

I'd recommend Asteroid Storm OXP next. I find the fact that all the the asteroids look exactly the same very jarring. Asteroid Storm adds a variety of different sized and shaped asteroids, and - rumour has it - a quick mission near to where you are, Duggan.
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Hi folks I have gone on to to install the DeepSpace Ships OXP and have found this to be quite the business :) Now aside from an OXP that improves the planetary appearance.. i really do think we have the bees knees here. Though I did catch a glimpse(unless I dreamt it) of an OXP that improves the appearance of the nebula's.

It may come as no surprise.. but once , i cracked my 10k + balance wide open by shelling out the 14 k required for my shield boosters. the commodity markets between Riedquat, Diso and Leesti have returned to normal.. I should add that i have added the Diso OXP ... I think(but am not sure) that shield boosting should have wated until all 4 Military Laser cannons were installed as opposed to just the one I had installed... My guess is that i will have to soup up my Cobra Mk III to the max before considering a trade up..

Something to do with running before one can walk I guess :) Any how guys, you have already been totally awesome and brilliant and for that you have my gratitude.. If per chance you do fall upon in your travels an OXP that serves no purpose other than to enhance the graphics of the game, (though I could be tempted by one of the many HUDs on offer) I will once again be eternally in your debt and will demostrate it by providing for you free lodgings and breakfast at my private condo on Leesti. :wink:

Oh ..My boy got my first kill for me LOL.. some Pirate on the way into Riedquat wanted to chew on my Hull a little. so (With his help) we showed the Pirate that he had got eyes bigger than his belly.

Another stupid question before going... Whats the E.C.M do? And how do I do what it does/ is it really just a case of pressing e?

P.S. Please forgive my enthusiasm for this game...I actually thought it was long dead and buried , having gone out with the ZX spectrum.. When looked on like this , I do hope I am forgiven for sounding like the cat who got the cream or an anorak :)

One more thing.. Honest I'm going soon enough... The Joy stick took all the left arrow right arrow and up arrow and down arrow along with BBC 1 and 2 effort out of it.. One could find a target real quick and give it an exceptionally warm welcome...

Sadly like the ZX spectrum the Joy stick is something of an obsolete commodity.. So are there Mouse OXPs anywhere yet ? I do realize I ask too many questions. i do realize also that I may be the only one who thinks Oolite is the best game ever(and i have tried a good few of the new games...Italian Plumbers and zippy Hedgehogs,,,Machine gun toting heiresses. Oh and a certain franchise involving the initials FF... So you see there's new games, polished games.. but you are spoon fed progress.

Oolite however puts the player in control of how they progress( aside from the leveling of the commodities when you get a bit too wealthy )

anyway thanks again folks the help you gave me in improving the appearance of the game.

catch you later... Duggan (rating harmless)
Cody

Post by Cody »

For planetary eye-candy, try System Redux… and for great docked screens and ambient sounds, try BGS.

ECM is the electronic counter measures, and it will destroy most unhardened missiles... and yes, just hit the 'e' key.
You can play with the mouse... in-flight, use shift+m to toggle mouse control on and off.

Oh... if you like nice zoomable charts for route-planning, see the Vector Map pdfs here... a must have!
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

You can also change the keyboard layout to one similar to BBC Elite (and to a similar extent the Spectrum version), eg S and X to climb and dive, < and > to roll, and A to fire the lasers.

See here.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Though I did catch a glimpse(unless I dreamt it) of an OXP that improves the appearance of the nebula's.
Actually more than one, so you were neither dreaming or hallucinating.
[wiki]Diso OXP[/wiki] changes the Diso system, and IIRC, the aforementioned System Redux doesn't change the nebulas; El Viejo must have been thinking about Submersible nebulae.
Whats the E.C.M do?
Electronic CounterMeasures destroy missiles - most missiles, anyway...
It sends out four pulses in 0,25 seconds intervals, against which missiles have differing protection. Some, like the basic homing missile, are always destroyed; others, like the ECM hardened missiles and OXP missiles, may survive and require more ECMing, or even other OXP countermeasures such as chaff or anti-missile missiles.
Sadly like the ZX spectrum the Joy stick is something of an obsolete commodity.. So are there Mouse OXPs anywhere yet ?
You don't need an OXP to use the mouse - you can activate it with shift-m (fullscreen only). As for joysticks, I use a Logic3 game pad that does the job (though I'd like it to have a few more buttons...), but Oolite also supports other configurable joysticks.
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Wherever you are in the Ooniverse, I would like to wish you a very happy new year :D
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Just seen these new posts here and would like to welcome you to the game, Duggan. One comment regarding mouse control: Shift+M activates / deactivates mouse control with roll assigned on the x-axis, so when you move the mouse left or right the ship rolls accordingly. You can also have mouse control with yaw assigned on the mouse x-axis, if you hit Shift+Ctrl+M instead. Some people find this a much easier flight option, so I thought I'd let you know. ;-)

Edit to add: If your computer is capable of supporting modern games, you really must have a look at Griff's ships. If you thought Accessories was good, Griff's shipset will just blow your mind away. We have some samples of this work on the project's pages at the Berlios website, have a look for yourself: http://developer.berlios.de/screenshots/?group_id=3577
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

I should add that i have added the Diso OXP ... I think(but am not sure) that shield boosting should have wated until all 4 Military Laser cannons were installed as opposed to just the one I had installed..
no need to worry over spilled milk - the shield boosters are really worth the money, to me much more useful than a 3rd or 4th mil. laser. :)

and yes, gamepad or joystick works just fine, though me too would want more buttons on it. :D
And steering your ship with them, you get the bonus of being able to switch the flight controls "sensitivity" - useful when you fly a very reactive ship and have trouble docking or sniping opponents from a large distance. (huge distance? long distance?)
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Hello another_commander
Griff's shipset will just blow your mind away. We have some samples of this work on the project's pages at the Berlios website, have a look for yourself:
Awsomeness personified :D I do now have the deepsapace ships OXP installed along with the really brilliant planetary textures.. However if griffs art work is currently avaiable in an OXP I rather think i might like to get a hold of it :) I am running of an i5 processor at 8gig of RAM so hopefully the machine should handle it...I will wait patienty if this be a project in development.

I'm off now to have a read up on sniper scopes and see if the benefits of being able to keep bogies within the cross hairs improves my chance of actually hitting something...The developers of Oolite must surely be aware that most of the original space truckers from the Elite days have vari focals and creaking joints now days :D A homing/guidance system for my ordnance on to those mighty pesky red flags would be awful good.. I toyed with adding the armoury OXP too, but not to sure I want to kill everything in sight , especially if one of the bad guys is in fact a good guy..or worse, a Cop.

Thanks for the very warm welcome and the veritable font of wisdom you guys are.

Duggan (rating; still harmless with 1 kill LOL ...they be a bit too quick for me)
Cody

Post by Cody »

Duggan wrote:
However if griffs art work is currently avaiable in an OXP I rather think i might like to get a hold of it
Griff’s all-in-one shipset can be found [EliteWiki] here… I use it myself, and as long as your machine’s gfx can handle OpenGL ‘shaders’, it’ll look great. It lacks Dodo and Ico stations though, so I use the Dodo Stations OXP (available on the same page) and the [EliteWiki] Torus Station 2 OXP, which I’ve ‘tweaked’ so it replaces all Ico stations.

If you use Griff's shipset, be sure to add his Rock Hermit, alt Coriolis, alt Cobra III and the Missiles… they can be found on Griff’s box (the link to his individual OXPs is there). Also, you can customise the paint-job of your player-ship, and add your own decal (or four decals, if you install the Griff multi-decal player Cobra III, which is also listed on that Griff Industries wiki page). You rarely, if ever, get to see your own decals of course, but it’s good to know that your ship’s looking cool as it gets blown to smithereens... enjoy!
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Major tip of the hat to El Viejo and of course Griff for talent unbound.. Do I delete out the old visual FX OXPs(Accessory's and DeepSpaceShips) from the expansion pack folder prior to running the game again, as I would like to avoid any conflicts in programming that might occur?

Many thahks for all this help.