Elite and similar games

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Cody

Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Ta for the link Kaks, that's looking quite nice (Wolf359) - quite cute - like a nintendo game or something, very cool and unusual for a space game!
i love that blue ship on the main page with the red lightning flash on it! I bet it's a law enforcement ship or something, it appears to be cross about something it's just seen!
Vajo
Competent
Competent

Post by Vajo »

Looking good :D

Beam me up!
Xaron
Average
Average

Post by Xaron »

Thanks for mentioning that, vajo. :)

Just found this thread via google. It gives sometimes interesting results. :lol:

Actually we had some delay last year but now we continue as fast as we can. Still not worth to provide a beta but I'll keep you up to date.

Regards - Xaron
Vajo
Competent
Competent

Post by Vajo »

No problem Xaron
Btw: This looks nice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEbydQuNQu8
Beam me up!
Xaron
Average
Average

Post by Xaron »

Thanks. Made a short new video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdo_ECYbbH4

Docking, jumping, trading works now. Still a bit boring with only 2 test systems though. ;)

Next to come: a real HUD and some enemies.
Last edited by Xaron on Sun May 03, 2009 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

nice one! That looks really good Xaron. i really like the style of the ships, they look really great.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Very Pretty - stylish.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Xaron
Average
Average

Post by Xaron »

Thanks! :) A better version of the video is now online, have edited the link above. The hyperspace jump wasn't correct in the last one. ;)
darkone
Average
Average

Post by darkone »

Hi Xaron

Wolf359 looks very promising and is always great to see community/independent projects like this popup. Thanks for answering all my questions on your project Xaron on my site :)

But another game that I didn't see in this thread that like Elite and Oolite is Infinity. This game when it is finished will be simply amazing. And I think Elite4 might be delayed because of this project because it is so much like Elite. The community is some very hardcore space gamers and references to elite are used all the time.

I would agree with some of the posters about X3TC, graphically it is one of the best space sim games but the game does involve some work and effort to get some pleasure out of it.

-D1-
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

That game looks good so far, Xaron. If you need a tester, let me know and I'd be happy to take a look.

I wonder if Ad Astra has been mentioned in this thread yet. It's a very promising Space Sim, similar to Elite, but it has its own style.
darkone
Average
Average

Post by darkone »

I played around with Ad Astra and I didn't find it too friendly to my machine (maybe it was too fast). But I thought the controls were too sensitive for my taste and almost made it unplayable for me. I will revisit this when I get more time. But overall seems solid and the detail looks good for the game specs required.
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

You can decrease the sensitivity of the controls in the Input Menu, as well as increasing the size of the dead-zone.

That should help.
Cows
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cows »

I also found a game called Infinity: Quest for Earth. It is highly based on Elite. It can be found here: www.infinity-universe.com
It seems pretty close as you can make a living on trading, fighting, or whatever else you want to do. However, many computers won't be able to run it with very good quality due the very nice graphics it has. :cry:
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

I've seen this before and have actually played it's demo. Still have it installed, too.

It's a combat demo, though, so I can't say much about the overall gameplay. It has an interesting set-up. While you can freely accelerate both ways along all three axes and rotate around another three, your top speed is limited. Unlike a true Newtonian system, you can't accelerate indefinitely. You also can't change your velocity vector instantly. It takes time to decelerate in the old direction and then accelerate in the new one. Also, you can kill the auto-thrust, which locks your velocity vector unless you manually change it. This lets you whiz past an enemy ship, firing at it all the while.
Dream as if you'll live forever
Live as if you'll die tomorrow
Cows
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cows »

I think it has to do with Einsteinian physics, but I'd have to check again.