Competent

Post by Vajo »

News from Wolf359 Game. They show a ingame cockpit, looks amazing :D

Beam me up!
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

It does look cool, and it sure must have a lot of work on it, but...

...it occupies too much of the screen and (or because) it appears to be too far away. Also, not very ergonomical due to this distance and there are those pannels waaay off in the corners that can't be easily read, much less accessed.
The pilot would have to keep his arms stretched all the time.

Sorry...
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
ramon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ramon »

The cockpit is waaaay too big on that screenshot.

@Deepspace, I think your cockpit is a bit too big too (sorry) - by the way when are we going to get updated screenshots on your site? My daily routine is look through Oolite forum, check Deepspace website (see if he's planning planet landings :)) get on with real life work wishing I could find sometime to finish my dreamteam Anaconda and Asp!!!

I think Oolite did the perfect job with the cockpit. I got and Xbox360 for christmas (lucky me) and when I first started racing PRG I chose the cockpit view but in the end all I wanted to see was the track, same goes for Oolite I think.
(Saying that, I was designing a cockpit for the Anaconda that obscured most over the view, to give a sence of size.......but it was crap so I've scrapped that idea!!)
Stainless Steel Rat
Average
Average

Post by Stainless Steel Rat »

Looks promising so far. They should make a full 360° 3D cockpit like in Orbiter. With useable MFDs and stuff. Why not adding some true simulation features? That would be awesome.
Vajo
Competent
Competent

Post by Vajo »

Is there any Cockpit in Oolite? I saw only a bitmap cockpit.
I love the idea of this 3d cockpit and i hope we can look around in it :D
Beam me up!
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

By Default Oolite uses a HUD (partly for retro reasons), but also it is a lot easier to see whats going on. You can have a cockpit by installing the fighter hud (grab it from Oosat2). Its a great piece of art, but I have to admit after playing with it instlled for a bit I switched back to the normal see-though HUD. You can get a prettier See-though HUD with Dr HUD.oxp (also on Oosat2). A lot of ship OXPs (eg Asp Mk I, Uruta etc) give custom HUDs to individual ships.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
DeepSpace
Deadly
Deadly

Deepspace

Post by DeepSpace »

That looks great (Wolf 359). Like alot of people here I do think it takes up alot of the screen (far more than Deepspace).
On the subject of Deepspace Cockpit. Its closer to the originals (Elite) screen display. If you look at old pics of Elite only the top half of the screen is visible. With Deepspace only the corner of the screen is obscured by the Cockpit Monitors the rest of the screen is viewable (even the Radar is transparent).
Everyone has their opinion and thats great. I'm sure when playing you'll get used to the different visual styles.
Its hard to make real judgements until you/we get to play both :)

I'll have a couple more screenshots for the site soon. Sadly you will never see me mention flying down onto planets for Deepspace. That would require far far too much time to impliment. There is after all just me. :)

It would be a dream to do that. Maybe after Deepspace is finished I might revisit it with a mod to allow that, but its unlikely at the moment. :)
http://www.jblythe.f9.co.uk/oolite

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back it time of Breakfast!"
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Deepspace

Post by Frame »

DeepSpace wrote:
That looks great (Wolf 359). Like alot of people here I do think it takes up alot of the screen (far more than Deepspace).
On the subject of Deepspace Cockpit. Its closer to the originals (Elite) screen display. If you look at old pics of Elite only the top half of the screen is visible. With Deepspace only the corner of the screen is obscured by the Cockpit Monitors the rest of the screen is viewable (even the Radar is transparent).
I think most people would be annoyed with all the beams that stream across the top half.. if it where only the lower section that was obscurred, like in original Elite or oolite... then they wouldnt mind...

something i have also seen in Deepspace like here

http://www.jblythe.f9.co.uk/download/sc ... /Adder.jpg

The beams do not offer an ininterrupted view, and when tracking a target will undoubtly be of much annoyance... but that is just all my opinion...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
DeepSpace
Deadly
Deadly

frame...

Post by DeepSpace »

That pic is from an old version of the game (Deepspace). That cockpit is no longer there. :) As you can see from the pic below. I did feel the same about those struts So I took them out and made the scanner a transparency too to maximise the viewable area.
The Wolf359 game does have a lot of wasted area for the cockpit. If it were me I'd strip it back to only show the bits that show the relevant info. :)

Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: frame...

Post by Frame »

DeepSpace wrote:
That pic is from an old version of the game (Deepspace). That cockpit is no longer there. :) As you can see from the pic below. I did feel the same about those struts So I took them out and made the scanner a transparency too to maximise the viewable area.
The Wolf359 game does have a lot of wasted area for the cockpit. If it were me I'd strip it back to only show the bits that show the relevant info. :)
Wunderbar..... :D
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
DeepSpace
Deadly
Deadly

Wolf359

Post by DeepSpace »

Having said all that, it depends how the Wolf359 game is being pitched. To me the above screenshot feels like its the Bridge of a large ship rather than a small cockpit. So if thats the case then it works I suppose. If they plan to have different cockpits/bridges for different ships then that would be great. :) And probably satisfy everyone.

aceshigh
Competent
Competent

Post by aceshigh »

Uncle Reno wrote:
Lorfarius wrote:
Xaron wrote:
I don't think that the market for an Elite like game with real scale universe and newtonian physics is soo big. ;)
Really? Just look at how successful Eve is. Granted its an online game but its basically the same thing. The X Reunion games did pretty well as did Freelancer for its time so theres money to be made.
I think the point is that, AFAIK, none of those games has a real scale universe or Newtonian physics. Oolite (and original Elite) isn't anything near real scale and if it had Newtonian physics, I wouldn't play it, I could never get on with Frontier(?) for that reason.

you know, things evolved quite a bit since Frontier was released. Get a game like Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos. It was released in 2002. The graphics are almost up to date to this day, and it has realistic sizes and distances as well as newtonian physics.

Yes, newtonian physics, but still, its FUN TO PLAY AND FIGHT, unlike Frontier.

I am talking a lot about IWAR2 on this forum, because I am seeing lots of people complaining about newtonian physics, and it seems their only experience with it comes from the boring Frontier.

edit: oh damit... it seems I have bumped a long dead topic :(
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

aw, i can't see the Wolf359 screenshot, is that the game sung is working on, is there a link to their website?
Deepspace, that screenshot looks fab!
DeepSpace
Deadly
Deadly

Post by DeepSpace »

This is indeed an old thread. Work on DeepSpace has stopped as my meager programming skills couldn't do what I wanted. Plus looking at Oolite it does everything I wanted to do and more, so I've opted to do OXPs for Oolite. I've already done the HUD and I'm now working on new textures for all the standard ships and stations for my next OXP. :)

Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Griff wrote:
aw, i can't see the Wolf359 screenshot, is that the game sung is working on, is there a link to their website?
Yep, that'd be the one, & their website address is:
http://www.wolf-359.de/
I must say, I do find their spaceship conceps ...odd. More like stubby aeroplanes than anything else... Oh, well, whatever makes sense to them, I suppose! :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)