More details in this thread.

Elite and similar games

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Cody

Vajo
Competent
Competent

Post by Vajo »

it seems that Wolf 359 is a standalone game and no OXP :)
Beam me up!
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

It's an Oolite clone, the guy doing the textures did some for Oolite but got very protective of them and is doing his own thing now.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Vajo
Competent
Competent

Post by Vajo »

Is it possible to play the Oosat OXP's with wolf 359? I like the look of wolf 359. Ahruman do you work on wolf 359?
Beam me up!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

No. Wolf 359 is entirely unrelated to Oolite. That’s why we’re in Outworld. :-)
Vajo
Competent
Competent

Post by Vajo »

TGHC wrote:
It's an Oolite clone, the guy doing the textures did some for Oolite but got very protective of them and is doing his own thing now.
so thats false alarm :D
Beam me up!
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Vajo wrote:
TGHC wrote:
so thats false alarm :D
You took it the wrong way, sorry my bad.

They are following the same path as Oolite in terms of developing an Elite based game with better graphics etc, they are about 2 years behind and who knows if they will last the course. Several projects have started with good intentions an enthusiasm but rarely get beyond screenshots, or anything being playable. The two exceptions are TNK and oolite
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
dajt
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: I see what you're saying..

Post by dajt »

DeepSpace wrote:
..Miangele. You're right of course. :) I just like stuff to be simple. My brain isn't very clever so I prefer stuff to be easy to understand ha ha ha. :) Deepspace will probably be a shadow of what Oolite currently is. But on the plus side it'll look nice, but thats about it LOL :)
Why don't you make your ship models and the algs you use to draw space/nebulae etc available to the Oolite coders?

3D model converters are not hard to write and Ahruman is changing Oolite to allow for more complex models than were available in the past.
Regards,
David Taylor.
DeepSpace
Deadly
Deadly

3D Models and stuff

Post by DeepSpace »

Dajt. Well for starters the Nebula stuff is just a giant bitmap :) So thats easy. Although I don't know how Oolite creates its background. I have a sphere mapped with the image, which has its draw order as the first and then everything else is drawn in front of it, if that makes sense.
As for the models I could give those out and in the future I will be happy to. Its just at the moment I've got a project I just want to try and see if I can finish.
As I've said many times already, if Deepspace falls through, I'd love to work with someone here in putting together a Deepspace OXP for Oolite. I just want to give my game a good go first. :)
http://www.jblythe.f9.co.uk/oolite

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back it time of Breakfast!"
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

And the best of luck to you, too!

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
dajt
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by dajt »

Yes, you're drawing the nebula as part of the skybox before switching on depth culling. I didn't realise it was just an image.

I was thinking of trying to replicate how Infinity is doing them, using some sort of fractal approach. They look fabulous. But its more work than I can take on.
Regards,
David Taylor.
DeepSpace
Deadly
Deadly

Nebulars

Post by DeepSpace »

Yeah I just found a couple of nice Nasa pics of Nebulas. Created a huge bitmap, summat like 2880x1440 with a starfield on it and then copied and pasted the nebulas onto it. Its way too inefficient and uses a massive 11mb!! which is silly. I will be revisiting the background creation routines and come up with something far more efficent and with less memory usage. Hopefully it won't look much different though :)

Stainless Steel Rat
Average
Average

Post by Stainless Steel Rat »

I just found out about Space Trader a 3D online action and strategy game. My first thought was: wow, great idea. Until I realised that there seem to be no flight and/or spacefight possibilities. I didn't try it but it's more first person shooter and trading.

It is played in your browser so you need a fairly good computer. You also need to install a browser plugin. However, the good thing is it's available for Windows, Linux and Mac.
DeepSpace
Deadly
Deadly

Mass Effect

Post by DeepSpace »

Anyone seen this (Mass Effect) for the Xbox 360? Looks incredible. Its a bit more story driven and linear. But if you could imagine the Planetary detail and the SpacePort Bar scene from this but with Eve style ships and Elite/Frontier controls, combat and Galaxy sized maps, then that would be Elite 4! :)

Makandal
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Makandal »

As I already explained, I am having the hobby of 3D landscape imaging.
To draw nebulae, galaxy etc... I am using one plugin running on Moray. Moray is a ray tracing software using PovRay as ray tracing engine. It allows me to choose general colour parameters of the galaxy, the colour turbulence etc... and finally put stars, nebulae, nebulae spheres, comets, meteors etc... and choose their colours and shapes. If needed, I can create some bmp for whoever need it.
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Re: 3D Models and stuff

Post by JensAyton »

DeepSpace wrote:
Dajt. Well for starters the Nebula stuff is just a giant bitmap :) So thats easy. Although I don't know how Oolite creates its background.
See this thread.