Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

docking puters

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

seaside
Average
Average

docking puters

Post by seaside »

hi can anyone tell me if there is a cheat to get a docking compuer

i know it's sad but i'm 50 ain't got the time lol
all aboard--- hold on tight
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Well this is cheating Tut Tut! But if you open your save file with notepad and search for <key>has_docking_computer</key>, you'll see after this that it says </false>. Change that to true, so it now reads "<key>has_docking_computer</key> <true/>" and you'll have a puter when you close and save.

EDIT: You'll also need to change the phase "<key>EQ_DOCK_COMP</key>
<flalse/>" to true as well.

Or if you want to do it honestly, you could install the Black Monks OXP (link on my signature). You'll then find the Monks in tech 11+ systems. Dock at their base and the helpful chaps will loan you 20,000 Credits allowing you to kit out your ship. Don't forget to pay the loan back though, as they will hunt you down like a dog if you default!
Last edited by LittleBear on Thu May 31, 2007 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
seaside
Average
Average

docking

Post by seaside »

wow that was quick will give it a go thank you :shock:
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

And welcome to the forum!

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
seaside
Average
Average

Post by seaside »

tx going to give it a whirl :D
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

I can't stop you from ...argh...<gasp>... cheating, but you're going to miss out a lot of fun. Won't you reconsider if i tell you about the thrill of line-skipping ahead of an Anaconda with fuel injectors on while the Vipers try to blast your ship to bits?
If you ever get to be considered a criminal, not only your hacked 'puter won't work, you'll also be missng important skills!
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
pepak
Competent
Competent

Post by pepak »

Actually, once I learned that there are things like Navigation Buoys, docking was quite simple. Just fly as close to the buoy as possible, turn around and you are lined up with the docking station. All you need is to match the rotation now. It can be done easily if you fly slowly.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

A quick blast with your injectors when you are close enough will zip you in even quicker
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

If you trade in your tradeship for a smallish Adder or so, you can make the docking 'slit' at almost 90degree angle while at injectionspeed! ;)
Riding the Rocket!
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

That's an interesting point for ship designers, is there any restriction as to the depth of the docking slit, I guess you could make a long thin pencil like ship with "linear" cargo space, and provided you are lined up straight, you can go in at speed without touching the sides!!!!
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Arexack_Heretic
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

I have thought of 'train-like' ships towing cargo as in the movie 'spacetruckers' (love those pigs!)
The problem here is that you'd need hingeing joints to make the ship move realistically.
Unless you like the sight of a SO-2001-esque ship cartwheeling it's long bulk around in a way that makes you cringe with the thought "metal fatigue".

(One solution might be the 'convoy_AI' with a few 'no-combat' and a 'check for train-integrity' modifications. Though this might lead to strange behaviour at dockingtime.)
Riding the Rocket!
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

Out of interest, were navigation buoys implemented in any of the other versions of Elite, or were they specially created for Oolite? Only it's such a simple idea (get as close as possible and voila, you're all lined up for final approach) yet so brilliantly effective that I wondered where it came from.
Download Resistance Commander plus many other exciting OXPs HERE
Wiggy
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Wiggy »

I believe that navigation buoys were in the Spectrum version.

In my day, we didn't have them on the BBC version, and we used to look down our collective nose at the Speccy users who couldn't dock without them.

(Yes, I'm from a strange alien race that has a collective nose. Don't visit our world when there's a flu bug going round.) :lol:
You came in that? You're braver than I thought!
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Arexack_Heretic wrote:
If you trade in your tradeship for a smallish Adder or so, you can make the docking 'slit' at almost 90degree angle while at injectionspeed! ;)
oright open docking bays, and in comes an Adder at injector speed, would make a rather mess ehh on the inside of the station.

Weird though, im almost 100% sure that you could not dock at full throttle
in Classic Elite on the commodore 64...

Should apply to oolite too.. but oh well...Docking at full throttle is allways fun, however i favour CTRL+D on PC
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
lolwhites
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lolwhites »

In my day, we didn't have them on the BBC version, and we used to look down our collective nose at the Speccy users who couldn't dock without them.
Ah yes, I remember well. Docking on the BBC version meant lining up on a black rectangle on a black background. It also meant lots of scraping the sides, seeing your shields disappear and hoping you'd make it in before your cobra exploded. Docking 'puters were an absolute must, and even they didn't always line you up properly.