Profitability (Career Opportunities)

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Not yet at least. But you can add some gas giants:-

OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Hmm… those nebulae are pretty nastily distorted.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Corbeau wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
Only when I have cleared the system
And you know you've cleared the system when... you go from the station to the witchspace beacon without bumping into any offenders/fugitives, eh?
A good indicator is also the number of entities in the current system that is displayed together with the current frame-rate in the upper left corner of the screen, when you press shift-F. If it falls under 30-35 there can't be much pirates left.

There are five entities that have to be present in every system: The planet, the sun, the station, the sky and the player himself. Then there are the navigational beacons (if you haven't blown them up), a couple of asteroids and the harmless traders. If there is no debris floating around all of those aforementioned shouldn't mount up to more than 30 or 35.

Of course this is no exact measurement of pirates, but it's a good indicator on a view. And one thing is for sure: With 90 or more entities there must be a lot of pirates in the system, and if the number increases heftily while you are watching there is a fight between good and evil going on somewhere. Jump in and claim your part of the loot!
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Well as it appears (on 1.65), I'd justify the purple haze as gas / particles / or somthing coming from the large gas giant.

Like to see what a high value does with the new "build your own galaxy" entries. Guess it'll throw a few Galaxies in the background by this gas gaint, which should still look cool! :wink:
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Hmm. It’ll probably display similar distortion.
Prophaniti
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Prophaniti »

Just to drift this slightly towards the topic. The way I made my money n game, was taking on cargo contracts. This was in a large hold griffin 2. Once you've done a few runs in quick succession you start getting precious metal/gem contracts that pay in the 100k+ region. Several of those and you're laughing.

I then traded straight up to an iron-ass Wolf IISE, because I'm shallow and want a Ferrari really. :wink:
Oolite is a Human-Sized Robot that Fears Nothing, dissolves in Water, and swats Aeroplanes like Flies.
Bringer of torture
Above Average
Above Average

Re: The downside of bounty hunting

Post by Bringer of torture »

Corbeau wrote:
*cat wrote:

Bringer of torture wrote:
I found a nice part of galaxy 2 with loads of anarchies and feudal systems and a few very high tech systems (for spares and repair).
Where? Where?
?
With regard to this the only planet name I remember is Ausar. Theres a hell of a lot of anarchies in this area with a few feudals thrown in for good measure. Theres plenty of tech 12s about and a couple of tech 14 plus not too far away for those military shield enhancements. Have fun.
"There are lies, damned lies and then there are statistics" W.T Sherman
Corbeau
Competent
Competent

Post by Corbeau »

Corbeau wrote:
I found a nice part of galaxy 2 with loads of anarchies and feudal systems and a few very high tech systems (for spares and repair).
Where? Where?
With regard to this the only planet name I remember is Ausar.
A general direction like "NW corner" or "North centre" would be fine, but this will help, too ;) And I've already found two anarchies close to each other and I'm abusing them to the maximum, but more is always the merrier ;)

Btw, did you say that you shoot at anything that moves? including civilians? Innocent traders? That would put a substantial bounty on your head, eh? 8)
United Blobs
Competent
Competent

Post by United Blobs »

Corbeau wrote:
Corbeau wrote:
Where? Where?
A general direction like "NW corner" or "North centre" would be fine, but this will help, too ;) And I've already found two anarchies close to each other and I'm abusing them to the maximum, but more is always the merrier ;)

Btw, did you say that you shoot at anything that moves? including civilians? Innocent traders? That would put a substantial bounty on your head, eh? 8)
If it's any help you can search for a planet from the Galactic Chart (press F6 twice) by typing its name.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Corbeau wrote:
No. Not as long you don't do it in front of police ships or close to the main station. The cops don't care about things they don't know.

So: have fun! :twisted:

P.S.: An overhaul of how the system of bounties and legal status works is available through installation of Anarchies.oxp, which can be found on Oosat 2. A non-test version of this OXP is nearing completion.
Corbeau
Competent
Competent

Post by Corbeau »

Commander McLane wrote:
Corbeau wrote:
No. Not as long you don't do it in front of police ships or close to the main station. The cops don't care about things they don't know.
But other flyers do. Word gets around :?

But what I actually have in mind won't be able to get implemented until we get a multiplayer version 8)
So: have fun! :twisted:

Nope. Can't get myself to shoot at innocent people.
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Corbeau wrote:
Nope. Can't get myself to shoot at innocent people.
They'll be guilty of *something* at some point, consider that you'd be punishing them for crimes they either successfully covered up or have yet to commit (bit of a 'Minority Report' thing). :wink:

Captain Hesperus
"The Elite Federation cares not where the kills come from, and neither do I."
Bringer of torture
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Bringer of torture »

Corbeau wrote:
Corbeau wrote:
Where? Where?

Yeah you need to use the search planet function to pinpoint it as the guy above said and yeah I kill all traders etc I come across unless they are in the station safe zone. I dont attack cops though. Most of the time my status is clean and only occasionally offender for brief periods despite my murdering, drug smuggling, slaving and arms dealing ways. I guess the sheer volume of pirates I kill must keep the old police department happy.
"There are lies, damned lies and then there are statistics" W.T Sherman
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Yeah you need to use the search planet function to pinpoint it as the guy above said and yeah I kill all traders etc I come across unless they are in the station safe zone. I dont attack cops though. Most of the time my status is clean and only occasionally offender for brief periods despite my murdering, drug smuggling, slaving and arms dealing ways. I guess the sheer volume of pirates I kill must keep the old police department happy.
No, the number of pirates you kill doesn't influence your legal status in any way.

You can change that however by installing Anarchies.oxp. This OXP does two things: (1) It makes it much more difficult to get clean once you are a fugitive. (2) But it will give you legal rewards (reduction of your legal status) for killing other offenders or fugitives.