Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

An idea for equipment / mission

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

This is what is confusing me:
hull_heat_level float Hull temperature. 1.0 is damage level. (Requires Oolite 1.68 or later.)
Riding the Rocket!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Yep, that’s the ship’s temperature (CT on the HUD). It increases if you’re close to the sun or in an atmosphere. When it reaches 1.0, you start taking damage very fast. And yeah, that’s GLSL, not JavaScript. They look kinda the same, but they’re not interchangeable. :-)
Arexack_Heretic
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

So, no problem if I change that to range from 0.0 to 1.0. >1.0 means damage.
Riding the Rocket!
*cat
Dangerous
Dangerous

Collision damage?

Post by *cat »

If, for example,I fly into some cargo, it gets destroyed and my shields take a hit. I'm imagining the "cowcatcher" would allow you to collide with something with no damage to your ship or the thing you hit.
And if that can be handled, what does the physics do? Can Oolite deal with what happens when something big hits something small... ooh, this is starting to sound complex, and I was so pleased with the idea! Smashing into a piece of cargo at an angle?
Cosmic Pong (remember the old TV games machines?) with two ships and a cargo canister, or Space Polo?
Maybe just a more unrealistic approach?

A mission with an asteroid as a shield would need a special super-strong asteroid.
Thanks for the interest - I hope one of you Oolite wizards can come up with something.
- Paddy *cat
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Think if you just like_shiped a normal asteroid, but boosted the energy say to 2000 and set the thrust to zero it could be pushed around with the game engine as it stands. Haven't tested it but I think the thrust value effects how much resistance an object has when you bang into it.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
*cat
Dangerous
Dangerous

Silly me

Post by *cat »

I should've just *tried* it! I've just pushed an asteroid along in an unmodified Cobra III in the direction of Diso station. By the looks of it, they didn't need an asteroid collision: lots of bad driving around the station and me without a cargo scoop!
Anyway, I pushed the asteroid so fast I couldn't keep up with it. Trying to use Jump to push it to insane speeds smashed it up (and damaged my *rear* shields). Haven't tried it with witch-fuel injectors but I imagine it would work.
The idea of a mission where one hides behind a special asteroid (with the extra strength technique suggested elsewhere on this thread), or collides one into something is exciting. It also means that no "cow catcher" is required!
Anyone good at mission-making want to have a go, or do I *really* have to learn how to write OXPs myself? One in which you have to buy a super-fast ship to smash an asteroid into something before it can react would be fun!
Hmmm, maybe I can move a load of asteroids to a convenient distance from a station and do some mining with that wonderful Ore Processor?
- Paddy *cat