Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Oolite test release 1.68

Discussion and announcements regarding the Mac port… er, original version of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

As you reminded me in this post I did some testing with port_radius.

In 1.68 it still seems to do nothing. I used it on one of my stations with different values, but saw now difference.

Perhaps I need more information on what it is supposed to do. As far as I had understood so far port_radius should define the distance from the docking port in which launching ships are spawned. Therefore: with a small port_radius a launching ship should be drawn close to the dock, with a large port_radius a launching ship should be drawn far from the dock. If this assumption is correct I still don't know from where the distance is measured: entry-point of the dock, its back wall or its center? If I look at launching NPC ships and where they appear I would go for the back wall, but I'm not sure about this, as it is not trivial to estimate distances in the game.

Anyway when I increased the port_radius from the default 500 to a couple of 1000 meters all ships were still drawn at the same point as before. That applies for NPCs and also for my own ship when I launched from that station. I didn't notice any difference.

But probably port_radius isn't supposed to do what I think at all, but something completely different instead, something which I didn't test yet. Therefore I think I need some more education on this method.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

As far as I can see, port_radius determines the location of the docking port if no subentity is used to define the docking port. If there is a subentity with “dock” in its name, the subentity’s position overrides.
Uncle Reno
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Uncle Reno »

Don't know if this is something that has been introduced in this version or if it has always been there but I thought I would offer my opinion on the music that starts if you lock a missile onto a target. In most combat situations, I don't even bother locking a missile on to a target and therefore combat is music free.

Therefore, and I don't know if this is possible, couldn't the music be triggered by the AI changing state to attack the player? That would make things a bit more atmospheric and more 'movie-like', rather than relying on a player missile lock.
Anyway, just my thoughts. :)
"Get back or I unleash my lethal spotted batoid!!"

What I do when not reading the Oolite bulletin board!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

The music is part of an OXP.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Uncle Reno wrote:
Don't know if this is something that has been introduced in this version or if it has always been there but I thought I would offer my opinion on the music that starts if you lock a missile onto a target. In most combat situations, I don't even bother locking a missile on to a target and therefore combat is music free.

Therefore, and I don't know if this is possible, couldn't the music be triggered by the AI changing state to attack the player? That would make things a bit more atmospheric and more 'movie-like', rather than relying on a player missile lock.
Anyway, just my thoughts. :)
you prolly have custsounds.oxp installed, however these sounds are as far as i can tell triggerd by specific events,

Standard oolite 1.65-1.68 uses warning.ogg for the warning sound that playes when a blip turns red...

if you replace this sound with music.ogg Then the music does not stop when you are no more under attack, it will play out until the end, and prolly restart every time you are supposed to hear the warning sound... creating a Stutter effect... Or perhaps mutiple instances of the music at different places on its track..

Which is why i think giles who afaik made custsounds.oxp went with the music to be played when you launch a missile, rather than when you get targeted by a ship with hostile intentions.
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Custsounds is by, er, someone other than Giles. :-)

Looking forward, I want to make it possible to trigger music from JavaScript, and make it conceptually separate from other sounds. A call to play music other than what’s currently playing will change the track – only one active at a time – but a call to play the same thing that’s currently playing will leave it alone.

This has several advantages:
  • Music can be started in contexts where no sound is currently played, or on more specific conditions (e.g. status turned red and there is a hostile ship nearby).
  • You won’t get overlapping music.
  • It will be possible to switch off and set the volume for music separately from other sounds.
  • The music will not be mixed with, say, a specific weapon-firing sound.
Uncle Reno
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Uncle Reno »

Ahruman wrote:
The music is part of an OXP.
:shock: :lol: Crickey, shows how often I lock on a missile then! My apologies for throwing around false accusations. :wink:
Ahruman wrote:
Yeah, it's by milinks. Planned work on music, pun unintentional, sounds good! :)
"Get back or I unleash my lethal spotted batoid!!"

What I do when not reading the Oolite bulletin board!
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Ahruman wrote:
ohh i assumed it was giles since i have a read file in the directory with this

Code: Select all

This sound pack is an expansion to OOLITE, a Space Trading Game, Written by Giles WIlliams. It is a work in progess, and more of an example of the endles possibilities created by the design and ongoing work by Giles.

It will be changing constantly as further progress in customsounds.plist progresses.

Place the customsounds.oxp into the AddOns folder of the Oolite directory...........and play!

This sound-pack has been packaged as an Oolite expansion pack by Giles Williams.
For details on how to install this, go to http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/OXP#Installing_an_OXP 

honest mistake...

:-)
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Ahruman wrote:
As far as I can see, port_radius determines the location of the docking port if no subentity is used to define the docking port. If there is a subentity with “dock” in its name, the subentity’s position overrides.
I wasn't around for a couple of days, so no answer yet.

If you're right here then port_radius seems rather obsolete to me, as I don't recall any dockable entity where the docking port was not a subentity.