Elite Galactic Maps and optimal trading routes

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Draconic74
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Draconic74 »

first of all, i dont mean to tell anybody what to do, and second, if we start talking about missile designs, it kind of defeats the purpose of "Elite Galactic Maps and Optimal Trading Routes." i think it just seems to stray off topic just a little bit. besides, the guys on the "new missiles" discussion have some really cool ideas worth checking out.
BEGIN {
Dragon- Switch (g FOR c);
ADD (ice);
DELETE (ANY [e]);
GENERATE NUM (74);
ADD (PREVIOUS);
END;
}
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

Lucidor wrote:
Why should he when he is right? :^)
actually i didn't feel he was. in the above context there wasn't exactly a reverent devotion to the heading topic going on.
Draconic74 wrote:
first of all, i dont mean to tell anybody what to do, and second, if we start talking about missile designs, it kind of defeats the purpose of "Elite Galactic Maps and Optimal Trading Routes." i think it just seems to stray off topic just a little bit. besides, the guys on the "new missiles" discussion have some really cool ideas worth checking out.
fair enough. it does though. wander off-topic. discussion. some good ideas can come about in unlikely places, and it's usually not "auspicious" to be rigid about constuctive contribution.
The man next to you is your lunch
Draconic74
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Draconic74 »

yah, so from now on im gonna stick to topic or be quite :D
BEGIN {
Dragon- Switch (g FOR c);
ADD (ice);
DELETE (ANY [e]);
GENERATE NUM (74);
ADD (PREVIOUS);
END;
}
Esraven
Harmless
Harmless

Re: Already done.

Post by Esraven »

aegidian wrote:
In Oolite, on the galactic chart, press ! and a similar route-map and text file will be dumped to your Oolite folder.

That does not seem to work. I am playing the windows version.
getting a screenshot on the other hand works.
I also have switched once the keys for screenshot with the one for map_dump. Screen shots works then with the ! key, but still no map dump with the other key *

Do I need something bought on my ship to get it working?
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Re: Already done.

Post by aegidian »

Esraven wrote:
[I am playing the windows version.
This feature doesn't work on the windows version.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

It could be made to work, but someone would have to write an SDL version.
Cmdr Monte
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cmdr Monte »

I've toyed with the idea of writing a route-planner. I only know matlab though, which is not the most protable of programming languages owing to the rather siazable overhead of the matlab component runtime environment.

so far I've taken the data data from the wiki for galaxy one and written a script to parse it and can scatter plot the galaxy but the units for the planet locations aren't light years, they range from 0-256 in each dimension.

Does anybody know how big the galaxies are so I can convert the co-ordinates to light years? They're not square so it's not trivial just to measure a bunch of distances and scale them. If nobody knows, I'll have to break out my knowledge of transformation matrices to figure it out and I'd rather not do that, I might hurt my brain.
Cmdr Monte
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cmdr Monte »

I just guessed at 100x50 ly and came up with this connectivity map for santaari

It looks the same as the ones on the web so maybe it's right?
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Well, if you use the galactic map in Elite/Oolite and see how far the planet nearest the east edge is from the planet nearest the west edge, it's about 100 LY. The North South gap is about 50 LY, so looks like your guess was on the money.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Cmdr Monte wrote:
I've toyed with the idea of writing a route-planner.
Have a look here http://www.excessus.demon.co.uk/elite/

and here http://homepages.tesco.net/nemographic/ ... /lara.html

They might help
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Cmdr Monte
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cmdr Monte »

Thanks.

Thinking about it, the route planning problem is not trivial computationally. If I do write something, I guess I'll just do something that lets you draw the route onto a connectivity diagram. It could then tell you how many jumps and how much time it's likely to take if you don't mess about shouting up pirates or some such on you way.
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Cmdr Monte wrote:
shouting up pirates or some such on you way.
Yup, that might lead to trouble if you are not well armed...

Nah, I like the idea of connectivity maps for the purpose of planning scenarios (oxps), but I must admit that I also like to just find the best routes myself when I'm actually playing...
Author of Tales from the Frontier - official Elite 4 anthology.
Author of Marcan Rayger adventures - unofficial fan-fic novellas set in the Frontier universe.
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Cmdr Monte wrote:
Thinking about it, the route planning problem is not trivial computationally. If I do write something, I guess I'll just do something that lets you draw the route onto a connectivity diagram. It could then tell you how many jumps and how much time it's likely to take if you don't mess about shouting up pirates or some such on you way.
For the mission creation code I used an A* route-finding algorithm - you could probably use something similar.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
Cmdr Monte
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cmdr Monte »

aegidian wrote:
Cmdr Monte wrote:
For the mission creation code I used an A* route-finding algorithm - you could probably use something similar.
Which method did it use?

Edit:

D'oh
Cmdr Monte
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cmdr Monte »

aegidian wrote:
Cmdr Monte wrote:

Progress: