Elite Galactic Maps and optimal trading routes

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Draconic74
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Draconic74 »

ummm... no idea what that is. but all you have to do is change the fuel capacity on whatever ship you have to whatever you want it to be. for example, i changed it so my ship can jump up to 600LY. of course, there is no place to jump that far, so i havent refueled for around 50 jumps. along with that, you can change the speed of the ship, energy, missile capacity, recharge rate and a couple of other things.

forgot to add that this will be part of the code in the game, so you have to keep a backup. the place to change all this is shipdata.plist and is in the Recources folder when you right click on "Oolite" and then select "Show Package Contents". also, the code has to be opened with textedit (there may be something else u can open it with but im not sure). if anyone wants further info ill post it. in fact ill post a guide.
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

That won't be really neccesary, all that info is already up at the EliteWiki...

You can eq your ship w/ a gazillion missiles, w/ a super energylevel and rechargerate etc. etc. Making your ship indestructable in effect.

But in the end: what's the fun then, there's no risk anymore, so no adrenalin-kick when you engage others (shrugs)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

…however, increasing the ship’s fuel capacity will not let you jump further than 7 LY.
Draconic74
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Draconic74 »

actually thats not true. i can jump all over the galaxy at up to 600 LY. except that now im running out of fuel, so when i buy more, i think it will only be upped to 7 LYs, meaning ill have to hack my save file to bring it to the full capacity of 600. also, i havent been able to get more than 5 missiles, so im not sure if you can.

edit: oh, forgot to say. its not the fuel capacity only that is changed, but that and how far your ship can jump. ill show you by posting some pictures of the furthest jump i can manage.
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

He's right - but not for long. Bug fixed for v1.65 (r463). 7.0LY is a hard limit now.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
Draconic74
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Draconic74 »

yeah, its true that you can make yourself invincible. but i just like to speed my ship up and increase everything for combat except for defence of the ship. also, even if i update Oolite, ill probably find the code to disable 7LY only jumps.

i think ill try to write some code to make 1 LY jumps with no fuel and in the touch of a button...
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

I don't see why you'de need to hack up a 500LY fuel tank. A 7LY tank does me just fine.
The first thing I do when coming out of the wormhole is head for the sun to top off the tank. If I feel like smacking some pirates around after the tanks are topped off, I fly back to the witchspace beacon, then turn towards the planet. Even with heavy action in anarchy systems, I still have 5LY or better left in the tank when I dock. I learned how to be conservative with the afterburner.
So what's the point of hacking up extra fuel again?
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Draconic74
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Draconic74 »

well, partly out of annoiance that i cant get much fuel before being fried on the sun or that im too lazy to pay the cost. the other part is that i have LOTS of fun hacking and changing games. and if i can figure out how to program it, i thought of a cool idea to make regular missiles blow up like Q-mines if they are destroyed by ECM.
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Sun skimming isn't that hard.
Hyperdrive towards the sun till you get a masslock.
Then afterburn straight for the sun till the scoop turns on.
When the scoop starts sucking fuel, pull up, putting the sun below your screen.
Punch the burners: The scoop goes crazy and recharges the tank really fast.
When the tanks are full, turn directly away from the sun.
Watch the status light; when it turns green, hit the hyperdrive.
An advanced compass and a heat shield really helps. And a fuel scoop, duh. :) Plus some practice.

BTW, making missiles into Q-bombs when ECM'd isn't the brightest idea. Even ECM hardened missiles can be ECM'd sometimes.
Besides, there's a reason Q-bombs stay put, and have a timer fuse.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Draconic74
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Draconic74 »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
BTW, making missiles into Q-bombs when ECM'd isn't the brightest idea. Even ECM hardened missiles can be ECM'd sometimes.
Besides, there's a reason Q-bombs stay put, and have a timer fuse.
well, i also thought that maybe the missiles would just Q-bomb on impact or when the target is lost. Yah, that would be a heck of a lot better. but that mentioned under suggestions so i wont continue.
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Draconic74 wrote:
the other part is that i have LOTS of fun hacking and changing games.
Then you came to the right place! Oolite is set up so that it is extremely simple to change a lot of stuff, only using a texteditor :D
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

Draconic74 wrote:
i thought of a cool idea to make regular missiles blow up like Q-mines if they are destroyed by ECM.
That's evil :-)

How about a 'booby trap mine' which does that?
Draconic74
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Draconic74 »

winston wrote:
Draconic74 wrote:
i thought of a cool idea to make regular missiles blow up like Q-mines if they are destroyed by ECM.
That's evil :-)

How about a 'booby trap mine' which does that?
instead of here, go to the "new missiles" post in suggestions. its a better place than in disscusions.

oh yeah, and the code is definently easy. i can recycle and add more easily than other games. in fact, im on the brink of being able to make the behemoth player usable. still gotta buy it though.
BEGIN {
Dragon- Switch (g FOR c);
ADD (ice);
DELETE (ANY [e]);
GENERATE NUM (74);
ADD (PREVIOUS);
END;
}
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

Draconic74 wrote:
instead of here, go to the "new missiles" post in suggestions. its a better place than in disscusions.
feel any dubiety about telling a moderator what to do while still billed as "newest registered user"?
The man next to you is your lunch
Lucidor
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Lucidor »

Why should he when he is right? :^)