Elite Galactic Maps and optimal trading routes

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

You can't get there basically. In previous versions of Elite it might have been possible by using a Galactic Hyperjump from a point in Galaxy 2 close to those to systems, but Oolite checks whether the destination system is connected to the main web of jump routes and chooses the closest possible connected system instead.

Note that in Galaxy 6 there a two pairs of unconnected systems: 41-202 (Beanxeat - Qutius ) and 33-55 (Tetier - Estebiin) and in Galaxy 7 there's a small web of 26 systems inaccessible from the rest of the galaxy (in the bottom left corner).
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
Pablo
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Pablo »

aaaahhh, could they be used in some mission??? The Navy bung you onboard a behemoth, and bring you back??? Also are you able to make Hostile Behemoths? that act like pirates?? Another mission idea where you have to chase one across space on a hunt & destroy mission???

ta G - pab
----------
Cmd. Pablo
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

aegidian wrote:
You can't get there basically. In previous versions of Elite it might have been possible by using a Galactic Hyperjump from a point in Galaxy 2 close to those to systems, but Oolite checks whether the destination system is connected to the main web of jump routes and chooses the closest possible connected system instead.

Note that in Galaxy 6 there a two pairs of unconnected systems: 41-202 (Beanxeat - Qutius ) and 33-55 (Tetier - Estebiin) and in Galaxy 7 there's a small web of 26 systems inaccessible from the rest of the galaxy (in the bottom left corner).
GRIN

These are all accessible in Xelite, you can get up to 14ly

The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Mad Dan Eccles
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Mad Dan Eccles »

[hint]
Use the 'edit' button
[/hint]

EDIT: I did it for him. The code looks for a .jpg/.jpeg or .gif or .png ending to the URL -- aegidian
Master of Mayhem

"The name's derived from Object Oriented eLite so you could say "Oh! Oh! Leet!", but that might sound too much like g33k sex."
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Pablo wrote:
aaaahhh, could they be used in some mission??? The Navy bung you onboard a behemoth, and bring you back??? Also are you able to make Hostile Behemoths? that act like pirates?? Another mission idea where you have to chase one across space on a hunt & destroy mission???

ta G - pab
could be done very easily.

but is it sure Giles won't make jumps > 7lj possible in the future? If so, writing such missions would be in essence a bit pointless...

And you can mke pirate Behemoths easily too, just change their ai parameters into pirate ai...
AJ
Above Average
Above Average

Post by AJ »

TGHC wrote:
Lazygun wrote:
...and some device that allows jumping to an arbitrary deep space destination.
I don't know if it's possible, but you could always try using the fuel scoop to top it up.
No it isn't. In deep space there is no sun to scoop from.
goat
Average
Average

Post by goat »

Another suggestion: a reserve tank as a purchasable upgrade. Occupies, say, five tons of cargo space, holds up to 5LY of fuel, and you can top off the main tank from it with a keypress. It gets filled up when you buy fuel. You still have a maximum 7LY jump, you just have a bit extra for the afterburners when you get there, or to get back from witchspace when you catch a random one.
"Guard your love of disco, monkey poet."
jonnycuba
Deadly
Deadly

Post by jonnycuba »

Maybe this extra fuel could be a one off purchase just for a mission purposes (as It's too dangerous to to carried in storage crates in the hull). So If you were on that particular mission & you sustained too much damage BOOM! game over try again....
Team Zorg are Go!
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

How about a very rare element which, when injected into the drive, boosts the normal jump distance... but... might have unpredictable side-effects, such as catastrophic drive failure or permanent distortions to a localised space/time stream - eg. creating a permanent worm-hole?

...mmmm... ...sounds like the basis of a story, or some such... :wink:
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
stimpee
Average
Average

Post by stimpee »

no, i think messing around with this changes the foundation of the game. 7LY should be fixed.
Dharma-Naga
Poor
Poor

Post by Dharma-Naga »

Star Gazer wrote:
How about a very rare element which, when injected into the drive, boosts the normal jump distance... but... might have unpredictable side-effects, such as catastrophic drive failure or permanent distortions to a localised space/time stream - eg. creating a permanent worm-hole?
I like this idea, the rarity introduces the element of chance. If you're lucky enough to come across Element X you could save it for that much needed boost, whether when stranded or for a particular mission.
Flying_Circus
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Flying_Circus »

If this 'element' goes by the name of 'Leeloo Minai Lekarariba-Laminai-Tchai Ekbat De Sebat' you can keep it :). I knows my periodic table.
And so I gave myself to God. There was a pregnant pause before He said "OK"
Phrostbyte
Competent
Competent

Post by Phrostbyte »

If this was a different game, you could carry as much Witchdrive Fuel as you had cargo room for (or convert cargo space to fuel tank space at the rate of 3 tons cargo space for 2 tons fuel space). 1 ton of fuel would take you 1 light year (sounds reasonable)....

Or, better yet, you could travel 1 light year for X tons of fuel.

X = Total Base Cargo Space of Ship (before Extra Cargo Pods and Passenger Berths, etc) divided by 10.

This would cost the Anaconda 75 tons of fuel to travel 1 light year, or 525 for 7, but it would allow a Renegade Viper to burn all over the galaxy for free. Okay, so this is no good.

Okay, maybe each ship could have a fuel/light-year ratio, as low as 1t/1ly for the smallest ships to 10t/1ly for the largest.

Of course, any way you slice it, the cost of Witchspace fuel would have to go way up, maybe 100 credits per light year worth.

Of course, this is OOLite we're talking about, so this is all moot. :roll:
"The world Arexe is fabled for its exciting sit coms and its inhabitants' ancient loathing of sit coms."
Draconic74
Above Average
Above Average

More than 7LYs

Post by Draconic74 »

Hi im new.

i was just looking around the forums after getting Oolite and i found this.
anyway, if anyone wants to know how to do more than a 7 LY jump without buying anything, ill provide detailed info. im too lazy to write it all out unless u want me to.
Ponder
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Ponder »

It is an Undocumented Feature like the FE2 "256ly wormhole" feature?