Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

The Assassins Guild OXP (Final Updated Version)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

lolwhites
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lolwhites »

Deleting planetinfo.plist seems to cure the problem.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Is your GNUstep version on Linux the same as on Windows? The distributed gnustep-base.dll for Windows is version 1.11.1. Your problem might be an earlier/different version of the library running on Linux. If you are desperate, try the latest GNUstep base (1.13.1 I think) and see how it works for you.

[Edit: OK, nevermind, looks like you solved it while I was posting.]
davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by davcefai »

Have pasted a load of stuff from the terminal. Let me know if you want me to send it to you.
Do so by all means. Also indicate which Linux distro you are running and whether you use KDE or Gnome.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Cheers for that. Well at least I know its the planets, but I'm stumpted as davcefai could run 1.2 OK on Unix. Possibily its some setting on your version of Unix thats causing it. I can't really help with that as I don't use Unix. Hopefull davcefai can suggest somthing.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by davcefai »

It's just possible that this may be the cause:

Apart from rebel_moon, all the other heavenly bodies names should end in an upper case letter.

I have a vague memory of editing something along those lines.

I've had a better idea! I've placed Assassins.tar.gz on my ftp server. You might like to download and try that. It works for me,
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Thanks for that! I've downloaded it, looks like 1.2 but with the case-bugs fixed! I'll give it a playtest on the PC to check it still runs on mine. Could you test davcefai's tweaked version lowhites? If this works on Unix and PC Windows, I put it up as V1.3!
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
lolwhites
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lolwhites »

davcefai - I'm running Ubuntu 7.04 in Gnome. Where can I send the file to?

I'll give your tar a go when I have a mo, and get back to you.

nb Forgot to say - when the crash happened, I appeared very close to a planet. It was as if I'd just left a station rather than arrived at a withchpoint.
Last edited by lolwhites on Sat May 26, 2007 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lolwhites
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lolwhites »

Tried out the tarball but have had exactly the same problem :cry:

No witchspace rings and I appear very close to the planet, no sun or other objects, although Shift+f reveals that it thinks there are 79 objects.

As I was typing this, I had the game running. I just heard some ECMs go off, then I was attacked and destroyed. Still had no controls though!

Here's a pic of what I can see when I enter the system:
davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by davcefai »

davcefai - I'm running Ubuntu 7.04 in Gnome. Where can I send the file to?
Paste it into a PM or upload it to the FTP server (login as anonymous, password <your email address>)

Looking at your pic, there could be a graphics driver issue. The planet is all one colour, no texture. I have had this happen to me

What is your graphics card? Which driver are you using? if you don't know, open /etc/X11/xorg.conf in a text editor.

Find the bit that looks like this:

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "NVIDIA Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]"
    Driver         "nvidia"
EndSection
where the identifier matches your video card. Post the exact line.

Do you download updates regularly or at all?
lolwhites
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lolwhites »

davcefai - have pm-ed you the relevant code. I update regularly, I think that with Ubuntu 7.04, proprietary drivers like graphics cards are automatically updated.
davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by davcefai »

It's not a case of updating the driver but that it needs to be recompiled. Sometimes X fails to load. Sometimes the card will behave sub-optimally.
I run Debian, on which Ubuntu is based.

If you downloaded the driver from NVidia, rerun the installer. If you installed the driver via apt or Synaptic or whatever try reinstalling it.
lolwhites
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lolwhites »

LittleBear -you might be interested to know that davcefai and I found out that going into the Textures folder and changing hitsplanet.png to hitsplanet.PNG seemed to cure the problem.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Thanks guys.

I'll use the dos command prompt to rename them all to .PNG. You know where you are with trusty old dos, doesn't lie about case like windows!
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Uhhhhmm.....
The "Fair Wind".
What gives? What kind of energy levels are we looking at here?
I just went to blow it up, got there (past a number of nowty Kraits) and gave it what for with the forward Mili-laser.

Nothing happened.

Okay, I fired a Hardhead.

No appreciable effect.

I go on to fire another three Hardheads and trigger an E-bomb.

I get a message along the lines of "Desist and stop it, you naughty man/feline/person."

Then I am bracketed by a dozen Hardhead missiles and it's Game Over.

I try again. This time I dump two volleys of Mili-laser, two Hardhead and two NUCLEAR torpedoes and an E-bomb into the "Fair Wind". Again I end up fleeing from the horde of cyan lollipops that come screeching for me.

Wa's up wid dat?

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

SPOILER - rot13

n Dzvar punva erpgvba znl uryc
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"