Witchspace, possible to exit?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

"The situation itself is a perfectly valid one. I'm surprised you're dead against it seeing as how keen on realism you are."

lol, exactly. some people would say random crashes and loss of data have NO place in a commercial operating system, but you try telling that to Microsoft :-D fact of life, deal w/ it, make sure you keep the ship serviced (that was important more in Frontier, IIRC).
Callas
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Callas »

DerekHartley wrote:
The situation itself is a perfectly valid one. I'm surprised you're dead against it seeing as how keen on realism you are. And after all, you can always reload.
But don't you see, reloading *isn't* realism? you have one life.

Having said that, it's entirely improper to go from me wanting a more sophisticated economy to me wanting realism and that including the chance of instant death on every jump. That's putting words in my mouth.
DerekHartley wrote:
For an actual solution maybe there could be an intergalactic version of the AA who can be called out in the event of being stranded. And you could pay either by a yearly subscription or be charged a hefty call-out fee for non-members.
Heh. But what if you can't afford it? game over. And if you're early in the game, there was NOTHING you could have done to save yourself, so it's still BS.
Callas
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Callas »

Killer Wolf wrote:
"The situation itself is a perfectly valid one. I'm surprised you're dead against it seeing as how keen on realism you are."

lol, exactly. some people would say random crashes and loss of data have NO place in a commercial operating system, but you try telling that to Microsoft :-D fact of life, deal w/ it, make sure you keep the ship serviced (that was important more in Frontier, IIRC).
It isn't a fact of life. It's an aspect of the game and it can perfectly well be changed. Fatalism is not an argument, it's the avoidance of an argument.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Re: Witchspace, possible to exit?

Post by JensAyton »

Callas wrote:
What this amounts to is a very small random chance on every jump that your game is simply OVER and there's nothing you can do about it.
Kinda true. But that could be said of combat, too.

Just yesterday, I started a new game, hopped into witchspace, killed all the Thargoids, and jumped out. Man, was my laser glowing… gotta love those shaders. ;-)

Still… it’s been suggested before, and ISTR Giles nixed it, but how about misjumps consuming fuel in proportion to how far you’ve jumped, so to speak?
Callas
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Callas »

Ahruman wrote:
Callas wrote:
What this amounts to is a very small random chance on every jump that your game is simply OVER and there's nothing you can do about it.
Kinda true. But that could be said of combat, too.
Not so.

Witchspace risk is entirely out of the control of the player. No actions on the part of the player influence the outcome. It is pure chance.

Combat risk is highly variable and highly influenced by the player. You get to choose the systems you fly to, and so you have a way to control your risk. You can choose to take a tiny risk (Corporate State) or a huge risk (Anarchy). You skills as a pilot and the tactics you adopt and decisions you make affect your ability to handle that risk. In other words, the actions the player takes are typically far more significant to the outcome than chance.
Ahruman wrote:
Still… it’s been suggested before, and ISTR Giles nixed it, but how about misjumps consuming fuel in proportion to how far you’ve jumped, so to speak?
As long as you;

a. have to fight or run from the Thargoids (they wouldn't pop the trap if you could just immediately hyperspace away)

b. are always able to reach a system after the fight
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

As I said, make sure you hit the save button before you launch.

I was always frustrated with some games that never allowed you to save, so consequently it was difficult to get to higher levels, and downright joystick throwing when after ages of attempts and repeats, when you finally did get up another rung, some new feature took you by surprise and you were shafted.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
DerekHartley
Average
Average

Post by DerekHartley »

Callas wrote:
Witchspace risk is entirely out of the control of the player. No actions on the part of the player influence the outcome. It is pure chance.
Much like driving a car then. There's a chance that you can get involved in a car crash that is entirely someone else's fault every time you go on a journey. That and spontaneous engine disassembly which can happen even on the way home from an MOT test.
Callas
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Callas »

DerekHartley wrote:
Callas wrote:
Much like driving a car then. There's a chance that you can get involved in a car crash that is entirely someone else's fault every time you go on a journey. That and spontaneous engine disassembly which can happen even on the way home from an MOT test.
When you drive, there is a chance you will screw up and a chance someone else will screw up. You have looked at driving a car, taken only the chance that someone else screws up, and then declared it is always someone else's fault; and that since it is always someone else's fault, it's exactly like the witchspace problem in Oolite.
Callas
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Callas »

TGHC wrote:
As I said, make sure you hit the save button before you launch.
That's a work-around. It means when the game spontaiously ends in a way completely and utterly outside your control, you can reload.

It's better to fix the game.
DerekHartley
Average
Average

Post by DerekHartley »

Callas wrote:
When you drive, there is a chance you will screw up and a chance someone else will screw up. You have looked at driving a car, taken only the chance that someone else screws up, and then declared it is always someone else's fault; and that since it is always someone else's fault, it's exactly like the witchspace problem in Oolite.
You have a lovely way of arguing, don't you? I never said there wasn't the chance that the pilot/driver/whatever could have an accident that WAS their fault, it just wasn't relevant to the discussion in hand.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Behemoth.oxp DOES fix this problem (if you see it as one). You'll be able to dock and refule at one of these Navy carriers. Oolite is IMO best played with all the OXPs installed. Many were written by Giles to add to the basic game.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Callas
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Callas »

DerekHartley wrote:
Callas wrote:
You have a lovely way of arguing, don't you? I never said there wasn't the chance that the pilot/driver/whatever could have an accident that WAS their fault, it just wasn't relevant to the discussion in hand.
So then how could it be like driving a car?

Witchspace -> nothing the player can do.
Driving a car -> sometimes the driver, sometimes someone else

You then said driving a car is only someone else, so it's like witchspace.

Now you say you ignored the part of car driving where it's sometimes the driver, because it wasn't relevant.

Well, okay - then I say witchspace is like pulling a pin on a grenade and sitting on it, only without the bit where you blow yourself up, because it's irrelevant.

*rolls eyes*
DerekHartley
Average
Average

Post by DerekHartley »

Good grief. I'm pretty sure the player can misjump themselves. But I'm sure you'll find something else to nitpick about so I'm leaving the 'discussion'.
Callas
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Callas »

LittleBear wrote:
Behemoth.oxp DOES fix this problem (if you see it as one). You'll be able to dock and refule at one of these Navy carriers. Oolite is IMO best played with all the OXPs installed. Many were written by Giles to add to the basic game.
Yes, I'm getting that impression too. I've got B. downloaded but not yet unzipped. Can't wait to get into a really big fight! it's almost like having MMORPG...;-)
CaptKev
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptKev »

@Callas

"Extra fuel tank, mounted in place of a missile. Containing 3 light years of additional witchdrive fuel" - Could come in very handy! :D
Download Fighter HUD, Stingray and System Redux from the EliteWiki