Witchspace, possible to exit?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

zeep
Competent
Competent

Witchspace, possible to exit?

Post by zeep »

In Elite on the MSX whenever i got stuck in Witchspace, after a few minutes i would get the message that the hyperjump was fixed. Then i had to reselect the destination planet and press the hyperspace button again. With the amount of fuel left i could still travel to the initial destination.

In Oolite i got into Witchspace the other night but to my suprise the fuel was almost completely depleted. I couldn't get away anymore.

Is this always the case when you get into Witchspace in Oolite?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Yes, it is easy to get trapped in witchspace.

However, you may want to install the Behemoth OXP. After installing it, you will see that, sometimes, when you end up in witchspace, you will find yourself in the middle of an ongoing battle between Thargoids and GalCop. If you manage to dock with one of the GalCop carriers (Behemoths) it will take you with it out of witchspace and when you launch, you will be in normal space once more.

This or having enough fuel to make an out. I am not aware of any other way, really.
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Yes and no. sometimes when you do a small jump, you still have enough witchspace fuel to jump to a nearby star. In other cases you're stranded 'till eternity...
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

"Some say the ghosts of those pilots still haunt the space between the stars."
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
zeep
Competent
Competent

Post by zeep »

Some good info here, thanks.

"If i'm lucky i can dock on a Behemoth and it'll take me out of Witchspace."
Oolite, with it's addons, just keeps amazing me. ;)
Cos
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cos »

Witchspace has not happened to me yet, is there a way I can induce it just to see what out there?

Cos :)
Uncle Reno
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Uncle Reno »

Cos wrote:
Witchspace has not happened to me yet, is there a way I can induce it just to see what out there?

Cos :)
Pitch up or down (dive or climb in other words) just before the hyperspace countdown finishes. :)
"Get back or I unleash my lethal spotted batoid!!"

What I do when not reading the Oolite bulletin board!
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

You can always use your Galactic hyperdrive, but it's a long way back if yo have some unfinished business.

If your planning to move up a Galaxy, you can have some fun with the thargoids on your way!
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
chavo
Harmless
Harmless

Post by chavo »

Seems a bit of a shame to be stuck there eternally if you DO run out of fuel!
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Just make sure you hit the save button before you go there!
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

TGHC wrote:
You can always use your Galactic hyperdrive
D'oh!

of course, that's the only way to be 100% sure you'll get back out of witchspace.
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

...unless you get into a really heavy duty battle, and they wipe your Galactic Hyperdrive out... ...ggrrrrr... :evil:
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

aegidian wrote:
"Some say the ghosts of those pilots still haunt the space between the stars."
Nice! ;)
Author of Tales from the Frontier - official Elite 4 anthology.
Author of Marcan Rayger adventures - unofficial fan-fic novellas set in the Frontier universe.
Callas
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Witchspace, possible to exit?

Post by Callas »

zeep wrote:
In Elite on the MSX whenever i got stuck in Witchspace, after a few minutes i would get the message that the hyperjump was fixed. Then i had to reselect the destination planet and press the hyperspace button again. With the amount of fuel left i could still travel to the initial destination.

In Oolite i got into Witchspace the other night but to my suprise the fuel was almost completely depleted. I couldn't get away anymore.

Is this always the case when you get into Witchspace in Oolite?
IMO, the MSX feature ought to be added.

I was playing three nights ago. It's early in the game, I've got a couple of thousands credits and a large cargo hold and I'm building up cash.

I jump between Ensonurous and Isinor and hey presto, hyperdrive goes "oh, for fucks sake" and falls over. So I'm in a witchspace ambush, with three Thargoids coming after me. Me with my front pulse laser...and three 30 credit missiles. Even if I survived, it was still game over, because I didn't have fuel to reach any local systems.

What this amounts to is a very small random chance on every jump that your game is simply OVER and there's nothing you can do about it.

That has no place in ANY game.
DerekHartley
Average
Average

Post by DerekHartley »

The situation itself is a perfectly valid one. I'm surprised you're dead against it seeing as how keen on realism you are. And after all, you can always reload.

For an actual solution maybe there could be an intergalactic version of the AA who can be called out in the event of being stranded. And you could pay either by a yearly subscription or be charged a hefty call-out fee for non-members.