What was the first version of Elite you ever played?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

What was the first version of Elite you ever played?

BBC Micro - Tape or Disk version
27%
Acorn Electron
8%
Acorn Archimedes
No votes
Apple ][
4%
Commodore 64
26%
Amiga
1%
PC
3%
Spectrum
17%
Other
9%
Oolite itself!
6%

Total votes: 78

marianne
Above Average
Above Average

Post by marianne »

Uncle Reno wrote:
If it makes you feel better, I've been playing for quite sometime with the Oolite standard keys and I've just tried shooting up a spacestation rather than increasing speed towards it!
well i don't know about Derek, but that makes me feel better for accidentally jettisoning cargo when i'm trying to dock or decelerate :)
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

marianne wrote:
Uncle Reno wrote:
If it makes you feel better, I've been playing for quite sometime with the Oolite standard keys and I've just tried shooting up a spacestation rather than increasing speed towards it!
well i don't know about Derek, but that makes me feel better for accidentally jettisoning cargo when i'm trying to dock or decelerate :)
Pity poor DaddyHoggy (Hope the little Hogglet comes soon!) with his alt-tab E-bomb disasters!

Captain Hesperus
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
Pity poor DaddyHoggy (Hope the little Hogglet comes soon!) with his alt-tab E-bomb disasters!
The worst bit it is the unexpected explosion makes you jump out of your seat!!!!!!
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
*cat
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re-discovered oo(e)lite!

Post by *cat »

First played on my brother's BBC A with 5.25 floppy (hyperspace was accompanied with the buzz of the drive).
Tried newer versions (frontier, etc) but couldn't get the hang of the "realistic" flying.
Now I've acquired a Mac Mini, and remembered reading about Oolite, so gave it a go. It's wonderful, especially the expandability! Might have a go at creating some OXPs if I can understand it...
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

First played Elite on the BBC Model B almost the moment it came out. A friend was lucky enough to get a copy.

My first home computer was the ZX Spectrum 48k, so mostly played Elite on that, most of my school mates had them too, so it wasn't long before we got the cracked versions and the save game editors (infinite missiles, cloaking device etc). Never liked FFE much though for some reason.

Got into Frontier quite a lot much later on using a 386 PC, (quite liked it, unlike most folks - I liked realistic physics, as I'm an astro-nut)

Also played CGA,EGA,Elite Plus and TNK intermittently.

Oolite is the only choice now - though I'd play good money to have the PalmOS port available :cry:

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

drew wrote:
though I'd play good money to have the PalmOS port available
Shhhhhh that's what got TNK pulled by the breadbin!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Commodore 64 for me....

however, no hermits in that game...

but appearently an elusive stealth ship... :-)
pescenaufrago
Above Average
Above Average

Post by pescenaufrago »

C64!

Later I played Frontier:
:)
Marco
Last edited by pescenaufrago on Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Hi, Marco!

Welcome to the board! And nice screenshots you have posted here!
Captain Hesperus

I think this image (or something similar) stole all our hearts in the 80's and ruined the world of space combat/trading-sims forever. Nice screenies and welcome to the boards.

Captain Hesperus
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

Absolutely, Captain Hesp.
i recall seeing it demoing in a shop, and was like "wow, pretty good.....hang on...that's got hidden-line removal!!" - and i stood for minutes just watching that ship spin, trying to work out how it was done. it was literally entrancing.
Captain Hesperus

Killer Wolf wrote:
.....hang on...that's got hidden-line removal!!" -
Well, I didn't think quite like that. My thinking was 'Cool, a spaceships game that doesn't involve trying to land on a planet before your fuel runs out and you explode."

Captain Hesperus
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

Wow! ...it's just as interesting to discover how different aspects of the game grabbed different people, as to which machine they first played it on!!

I was sucked in the first time I tried to dock at a coriolis station - mesmerised by a 3D rotating object that had a defined axis with which you had to intereact correctly!! ..and that was it... ...days and nights lost playing until I finally got that -ELITE- on my status page!!
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Me too with the manual docking at a coriolis, and I also liked the fact that it was not just a shootemup, but it involved cerebral activity in the form of strategy and trading etc as opposed to split second timing, joystick control crash start all over again from scratch.

Once I got into space traveling and watching the scanner and interacting with other craft, I was and still am hooked. You don't just play this you live it!

<pinches arm, must remember it is only a game>
Gareth3377
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Gareth3377 »

I loved the depth of manual - it really added flavour to the game. Also remember reading the novella The Dark Wheel and thinking - cool this game comes with a story. The whole package was ace - a wall chart, a keystrip to go across the top of my Elk - wonderful.

I remember the very first version for the Elk - it had a bug which made the IGH inoperable and therefore you'd be stuck in galaxy one for ever. It soon got fixed though.

I also liked the Speccy version - never made it to Elite, but played through three missions - Supernova, Thargoids taking over the space station and cloaking device.

Awesome times (repeated now thank goodness).