SpecialEvents.oxp: varying the in-game economy

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

If they’re narcotics, they’re already banned. Narcotics are, in fact, twice as banned as firearms and slaves. :-)
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

That's for you to see the lawmaker's logic: you can kill people, you can take their freedom away, but you can't have your harmless leisure smokes all alone at home!...
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Wow! :shock:

I'm overwhelmed by the number of posts in this thread after one day only.

Thanks to you all!

Special thanks to Captain Hesperus for jumping in here with his writing abilities!

So I guess I will go on on this path. But I have to say, there are also some ideas, suggestions and discussions going on here that I feel to be a bit off-topic. (Apart from expressing our gratitude to B&B, which we of course all do.)

Perhaps for clarification: The idea of this OXP is to have a couple of randomized special events that will raise or lower the price of one of the commodities in one of the systems for a certain time period. That's basically it. I was not contemplating to make more goods illegal (there is already an OXP available on Oosat 2 that makes furs illegal!) or to introduce new commodities that would be available via a mission screen only (like boy racers). At least not for now. Perhaps in a later stage of development.

Thanks again for your ideas and contributions!
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

price changes can be changed with the valuemask, i think?

Are those illegal furs conditional or fixed upon installing the oxp?
Riding the Rocket!
gabbakeisen
Competent
Competent

Post by gabbakeisen »

If the player arrives within a certain time-interval he makes a good profit. If he arrives afterwards the prices have dropped (or raised) again
I think this would be key to getting this idea seem part of the living Ooniverse rather than just a random event. perhaps a random chance to determine when a price change might occur and then a random location.

message "A large meteor has hit planet X, due to massive amounts of statospheric dust temperatures have plummeted. Furs are desperately needed to keep the populance warm and traders are encouraged to arrive as quickly as possible."

Jameson " And here I am on the other side of the galaxy with a hold full of furs! I'll never get there on time! :cry: :x

PS trumbles don't seem all that furry to me. change this one or a new graphic? perhaps its just their green heads that bugs me, Oh yeah that and their annoying habit of floating past the crosshairs in the middle of a dogfight, and the whole multiplying thing, and having to pay for a new paint job for your ship as you've scorched your hull frying them in the searing naked rays of the sun.
WooHoo! My fav game now redone for childhood nostalgia of 20 years ago. Now if only I didn't have to go to work so I could live as a virtual space trader.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

@ A_H: Yes, they are going to be changed via the value-mask. There will be two clones of a station with a specific role for each of the events. The first one will get a customized entry in commodities.plist that sets the price of the desired commodity to the desired level. The second will work after the time is up and the market has collapsed or whatever. That's how the whole thing is going to be scripted.

Illegal furs: Myself I haven't installed the OXP, but as illegal goods are all those that are put in illegal_goods.plist (see app/exe and wiki), I think they are illegal once and for all. I don't know whether you could use script_actions in illegal_goods.plist.

@ gabbakeisen: Yes, you got it. That's exactly the idea of this OXP. I couldn't have said it better. (Obviously I haven't till now...)
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Just the start:

Code: Select all

++GalNet Financial Report++
After exceptionally clement weather, the planet XXX has produced bumper crops, resulting in a glut of food commodities. Farmers and merchants alike are falling over themselves to sell off their excess before the warm conditions cause their produce to rot. As a result, the price of food has hit an all-time low. The XXXian Board of Extraterrestrial Commerce has appealed to it's farmers to begin harvesting early to prevent wastage.

++VOogue Headliner++
Fashion critics are falling over themselves to applaud the new and intricate designs of intergalactically famed Ret Vesla. Her unique insight into clothing structure has caused the fashion houses of XXX to increase their demand for fabrics, resulting in a massive raise in Textile prices.

++VOogue Headliner++
After a controversial reversal of fortunes, fashion industry supremos House of Xlavczaw have closed their doors after their premier lines for the new season were copied and replica garments flooded the markets. This combined blow of the closure of the Galaxy’s most renowned clothiers and the deluge of counterfeit garments has caused a near fatal crash in the textiles industry of XXX, with prices hitting rock bottom and they are not expected to recover soon.

++GalNet News Report++
The growing demands of the people of XXX on their power grids have caused the industries that supply electricity to begin construction of an unprecedented 40 new hi-yield nuclear power stations. This has had the knock-on effect of raising the price of Radioactives in XXX to an all-time high. Conservationist and anti-nuclear pressure groups are reported to be appauled at this mass construction, but their calls for a referendum have been drowned out by the calls for more power.

++GalNet Financial News++
A prospecting team from the planet XXX have discovered a vast cluster of asteroids which have high concentrations of Uranium and Plutonium. This discovery comes only weeks after the press release by RadCorp, unveiling their new ore processors which have an incredible 97% extraction efficiency. This has had the net effect of causing the price of radioactives in XXX to fall substantially as the quantities of refined Uranium and Plutonium isotopes increases.

++GalNet News Report++
Amnesty Intergalactic are calling upon the GalCop Security Council to act after reports of mass genocides on the planet XXX. This planet has had a long history of legalised ‘Indentured Labour’, but recent unreset between the Indentured workers and their owners resulted in civil unrest and even skirmishes between renegade workers and the planet’s security troops. Amnesty approached the council with a report that indicates a large number of indentured workers were captured and executed. Although the XXXian government have not responded to these charges, the trade price in Slaves has increased markedly. More on this story as events unfold. 

++Intergalactic Scientist News++
The government of the planet XXX today reported success at the creation of a new species of creature. These new lifeforms are humanoid in form, but their DNA was adapted from fungal lifeforms originally discovered on the huls of space-going vessels. Geneticists across the Galactic Quadrant are expressing excitement at this development, although XXX is now suffering from an overpopulation of these new lifeforms. The XXXian government has taken the step of selling many of these creatures as slaves, driving the price of Slaves down.

++Intergalactic Raver Magazine++
Yes, my friends! GlastonbOory 3129 will soon be upon us! This year the venue is XXX and everyone’s invited, ‘cept the Thargoids, man, ‘cause they’re real drags! Although the planet’s getting geared up for the ten day festival, they’ve reported a shortage of booze, so bring a bottle or two! Yeah, ‘cause the price of Liqour/wines will be sky-high!
It's a start.

Captain Hesperus
lolwhites
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lolwhites »

++GalNet News Report++
The growing demands of the people of XXX on their power grids have caused the industries that supply electricity to begin construction of an unprecedented 40 new hi-yield nuclear power stations. This has had the knock-on effect of raising the price of Radioactives in XXX to an all-time high. Conservationist and anti-nuclear pressure groups are reported to be appauled at this mass construction, but their calls for a referendum have been drowned out by the calls for more power.
*appalled

I can't help it, I'm a teacher :wink:
Captain Hesperus

Post by Captain Hesperus »

lolwhites wrote:
I can't help it, I'm a teacher :wink:
I'm more suprised that you didn't twig to all the Ooutrageous Oo-puns!

Captain Hesperus
Gareth3377
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Gareth3377 »

This looks awesome - can't wait to see it implemented...