Progress

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: Progress

Post by Smivs »

On the subject of exhausts, one really useful feature I'd like to see is the ability to attach exhausts to sub-entities, not just the main model, so that if the sub-ent is removed/destroyed the associated exhaust is also removed.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Ok.. I may be wrong, I often am.. and I'm not about to go looking now (gone 2.30am and I'm gonna go crash out) but I'm sure I recall many times requests were made to improve lasers and/or plumes and the answer was always 'no' or 'no can do'.
I asked for laser eye Candy back in 2007. :wink:

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

in trunk, do the new exhaust plumes come with easily editable vertex and fragment shaders? i had a quick look but i couldn't find them in the shaders folder with all the other ones, i was wondering if it would look nice to add a small amount of noise to the model verts so the plumes 'jitter about a bit' like they do in Frontier
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Griff wrote:
in trunk, do the new exhaust plumes come with easily editable vertex and fragment shaders? i had a quick look but i couldn't find them in the shaders folder with all the other ones, i was wondering if it would look nice to add a small amount of noise to the model verts so the plumes 'jitter about a bit' like they do in Frontier
No - they just use basic OpenGL additive blending, so there's no shader file needed. Fly out some distance from the witchpoint and they'll start jumping about anyway, though. (Get far enough out that this is noticeable in the external views, and it looks terrible in the aft view, in my opinion)
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Those new exhaust plumes are looking fantastic! :D I like all the little differences - but what happened to F8F8 screen? I knew it was being worked on to be more practical, but I'm not getting the contracts to pull up at all :(.
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

CommRLock78 wrote:
... but what happened to F8F8 screen?
All contracts, including parcels, are on F4 in trunk.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

This new contract page allows an oxp to insert its own contracts to the list. I have been playing with it today, works great, so I probably try adding an occasionally UPS contract here. :)

It also allows other stuff, like adding an option to enter the Random Hits contract pages again, when in the spacebar. (Instead of only showing the pages on docking). :)
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Eric Walch wrote:
This new contract page allows an oxp to insert its own contracts to the list. I have been playing with it today, works great, so I probably try adding an occasionally UPS contract here. :)

It also allows other stuff, like adding an option to enter the Random Hits contract pages again, when in the spacebar. (Instead of only showing the pages on docking). :)
Sweet! I knew there had been some improvements, I just didn't realized the keybinding had changed :D. Thanks Eric and EV for the help - it would have taken some time to figure that one out ;).
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
Cody

Post by Cody »

CommRLock78 wrote:
Sweet! I knew there had been some improvements...
Try a few trunk-only demo OXPs - cim's sunspots and rings are good (they're permanent in my AddOns), and Svengali's animation demo is cool.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

El Viejo wrote:
CommRLock78 wrote:
Sweet! I knew there had been some improvements...
Try a few trunk-only demo OXPs - cim's sunspots and rings are good (they're permanent in my AddOns), and Svengali's animation demo is cool.
I definitely want to try both of those :mrgreen:. <navigates to alioth.net> :D
Edit: I haven't seen any sunspots or rings yet, but I'll be on the lookout :).
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Thargoid has a bunch of nice trunk-only Betas as well.. 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Thargoid has a bunch of nice trunk-only Betas as well.. 8)
<Nagivates to alioth.net>.... I see! Looks like I've got some questions for Thargoid :D. If it (the planetary compass) works like I'm thinking (or at least would like) that would be excellent. Now that DHS and Distant Suns are working together, I actually have sub-planets and moons to add to the compass (in most systems ;)).
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

CommRLock78 wrote:
If it (the planetary compass) works like I'm thinking (or at least would like) that would be excellent.
If you alter the beacon codes to have leading blanks, i.e. " Planet" instead of "P", they'll look more like planets on the compass display, and the "Beacon:" prefix will be suppressed in Destination ETA.
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

What happened to some of the materials rendering in trunk... Specifically, emission and possibly illumination glows? It would be sad to learn they were somehow diverted to the new #%6&* exhaust plumes.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

@cim:Good day! I know you're busy so I'll try to be brief.

I suspect some materials issues in oolite going back to 1.76 which at first I thought was just because of my limited hardware but now looks like it is in oolite itself.

When using diffuse map, diffuse color, emission map, emission modulate color, illumination map and illumination modulate color I am having some problems in 1.76 and 1.77trunk(my trunk is a few months old but will update soon for testing in light of capt.solos post that he is also having problems).

Here is what happens:

-when I use "" diffuse maps plus emissions and illuminations maps for both player and npcs when I set materials, everything is perfect.
-when I set the players diffuse map to a 512x512 or a 1024x1024 with matching resolution maps for the emissions and illuminations and the npcs use a "" diffuse map plus emissions and illuminations maps, the color where there are illuminations maps appears black.
-when I reverse that so the npcs use the diffuse maps but the player uses "" diffuse map, it all works(because of my limited hardware, I set both player and npcs to "" diffuse map and after playing and the paint jobs appear, change the settings to a 512x512 diffuse map for the npcs, restart and it works, but if I don't start out playing with the "" diffuse maps and try to use "" diffuse map player and 512x512 diffuse map npcs, then it doesn't work or takes a long time to start working while the paint jobs are all black on the parts that are using an illumination map.)

Also, on a recent test for a temporary glow feature when hitting an unshielded hull, the illuminations modulate color would only work if the value was "1.0 0.0 0.0" where "0.99 0.0 0.0" would not work. This is definately a bug of some kind.

I hope this is not confusing.

Capt. Murphy, Thargoid and others have had problems and there was a fix for the setShaders in trunk but I believe there may be a serious problem in setMaterials which manifests itself when using hundreds of setMaterials commands on both the player and npcs which shows some kind of player specific/related issues with diffuse map/illuminations map combinations. The apparent player relation with this issue is what makes me think it is in the core code of oolite rather than the result of my hardware as I can get things to work in a specific combination as long as the player uses "" diffuse map. Strange. Are the materials wired up in such a way that is connected directly with the player

I just thought I would report this and ask if there will be at least until the end of february before 1.77test is released. It will take until then for me to finish this customships oxp which will then make a perfect testbed oxp to find what the problem might be among many different people with different hardware combinations.

Please let me know how I can help and if I have enough time at least until end of february to get this oxp out to be tested.

Thanks, and great job by the way on oolite 1.77trunk so far. :D
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs