Progress

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Progress

Post by cim »

Pleb wrote:
but for now is this basically a scriptable way of adding a define pilot to a ship?
Yes. The crew definition in the core has been a crew array for years, but I'm not sure anything currently makes use of that.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Re the new equipment.plist thingy: it now mixes OXP kit in with native kit on F5, whereas before OXP kit was listed after native kit (I think) which put it on the second page; and my customised equipment.plist no longer seems to work. I presume I'm missing something again, yes?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Cody wrote:
Re the new equipment.plist thingy: it now mixes OXP kit in with native kit on F5, whereas before OXP kit was listed after native kit (I think) which put it on the second page; and my customised equipment.plist no longer seems to work. I presume I'm missing something again, yes?
It used to display just in the order it was in the file, which would file OXP kit after native, in whatever your OXP loading order was.

Rather than reordering the file to customise, add a sort_order = xx; entry to each one - and to the OXP items as well, potentially - the higher the number, the nearer the top of the F5 list it appears (and the nearer the end of the F3 list).
Cody

Post by Cody »

Thanks, cim - I've actually managed to do that successfully (for the native kit, which is the crucial stuff).
Cody

Post by Cody »

I forgot to mention - my custom equipment.plist now works from within my personal Config folder, which is very handy.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

The ship library option on the main screen will be upgraded a bit in tonight's build

At the moment a lot of the information is coming from a new shiplibrary.plist file with various options for specifying what should be displayed. What I'd like opinions on is what to do with the demoships.plist files from OXPs - there are essentially two options:
1) Ignore it: this isn't the old demoships screen, so it doesn't apply
2) Use it: try to set reasonable default values for the ships listed, and leave the more descriptive bits blank.

The difficulty is that setting reasonable default values isn't entirely straightforward - it works okay for a ship, but looks very strange for stations ("Turn rate: very fast") or missiles ("Weapons: 4 fixed, 0 pylons"). I can try to set this automatically (mainly from scan class) but that's not reliable - for example, most OXP rock hermits do not have a scan class specified (they rely - as did the core game in 1.77 and earlier - on the system populator setting CLASS_ROCK) and even if they did, CLASS_ROCK would put them in with the "miscellaneous objects", not with the other stations. Or the astromine in Commies - CLASS_POLICE, but it should be treated as a station, not a ship.

So ... which would you prefer, as OXP writers and as players?
1) Ships from old OXPs don't appear until/unless those OXPs are updated
2) Ships from old OXPs appear, but sometimes in an inappropriate context or with inappropriate information, until/unless those OXPs are updated
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

cim wrote:
I think this is the best option. Better to have a consistent game than one with bits in that don't make sense. 8)
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Pleb wrote:
cim wrote:
I think this is the best option. Better to have a consistent game than one with bits in that don't make sense. 8)
+1. Consistency over everything IMHO.
Pluisje
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Pluisje »

I would prefer option 2). Some basic data is better then none. At least I can view the ship up close. Although this is also on the demoships list, the library is easier to use.

One can always edit in a description if it becomes an eyesore. I imagine a copy-paste DIY update will added to the relevant threads on the forum for OXPs that won't be updated.
Cody

Post by Cody »

I try to maintain a consistent Ooniverse, so it's consistency for me.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

I also prefer consistency.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Consistency all the way.
An announcement to make OXP authors aware of this could be a good idea.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

cim wrote:
would be my choice. Ships being missed out is a form of inconsistency, too, but it's harder to notice!
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

@Cim:
Sometimes you would want a ship to appear in the library only after a certain event or after the player encounters the vessel for the first time.
Equally, sometimes only parts of the information on the ship should be visible at first, and the rest revealed upon a mission event.
Is this possible?
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Gimi wrote:
@Cim:
Sometimes you would want a ship to appear in the library only after a certain event or after the player encounters the vessel for the first time.
Equally, sometimes only parts of the information on the ship should be visible at first, and the rest revealed upon a mission event.
Is this possible?
The ship library is accessed before the game loads so there is no way of implementing this. The only way this would work is if you could only access the library after the player has loaded a saved game or started a new one.
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4