Oolite test release 1.67

Discussion and announcements regarding the Mac port… er, original version of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Oolite test release 1.67

Post by JensAyton »

Oolite test release 1.67 - Taking Stock Edition is now available. This is a testing-to-see-where-we-are release. Some functionality maybe incomplete or broken. I recommend keeping a backup. Note: the updater will only work on Oolite 1.65.

New stuff:
  • GLSL shader support. Now you too can have psychadelic Thargons, assuming your hardware supports it.
  • another_commander’s Advanced Navigational Array. Activated by !, replacing the Mac-only dump-galactic-chart command (you can find the dumped data on the wiki).
  • Bigger radar blobs for big blobby things.
  • Giles’s experimental procedural textures (not dajt’s). Activate by pausing (P), then pressing T. The change will take effect when a new planet texture is generated, i.e. it won’t affect the planet in the current system. This feature is, er, in need of additional performance optimization.
  • Yaw control, possibly. The comments say “keypad 1 and 3”, but those don’t work for me (presumably GNUstep/Cocoa differences). Have fun trying to find out what does. To do: disable this in strict mode.
  • Audio improvements: removed restriction on sound effect size; large sound effects are now streamed from disk rather than preloaded. Sound effects are now played in stereo.
  • New spiffy log filtering system (now with 20% extra spiff). As described elsewhere.
  • Planet rotation speed control (rotation_speed and rotation_speed_factor in planetInfo). Default speed has been halved.
  • Image placement in HUDs should be consistent across platforms. Presumably this will break some HUDs.
  • AI changes. Don’t know whether these changes are noticable.
  • Possible ghost ship fix.
  • Added d256_number and pseudoFixedD256_number.
  • Various bug fixes.
  • Your surprise discovery here.
General note on testing software: if you have a bug, and you haven’t reported it, it is reasonable to assume that no-one knows about it and it will therefore not be fixed.
Last edited by JensAyton on Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

:shock: :D 8) :!:
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Have patience!

You know that the Mac users who downloaded it shall be excitedly test-playing into the night until their wives ORDER them to go to bed...

Tomorrow I'm certain you'll have an answer or two.
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

I don’t know how I missed this, but, well, I’m clearly an accomplished misser. It turns out that the spiffy log system was missing 70% of its spiff, since the default configuration file isn’t being read, and absolutely everything is being logged. Including stuff like one message per section about rebuffering music. This is silly.

To fix: open Terminal (in the Utilities folder, in the Applications folder). type “cd ” (with a trailing space; don’t press return). Drag and drop your Oolite application into the Terminal window. Click in the terminal window and press return. Then run the following command (copy, paste, press return):

Code: Select all

mv Contents/Resources/Config/logcontrol.plist Contents/Resources/logcontrol.plist
Last edited by JensAyton on Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Uncle Reno
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Uncle Reno »

Ahruman wrote:
To fix: open Terminal (in the Utilities folder, in the Applications folder). type “cd” (but don’t press return). Drag and drop your Oolite application into the Terminal window. Click in the terminal window and press return.
Err, doesn't work for me, I get a "No such file or directory" error. :?
"Get back or I unleash my lethal spotted batoid!!"

What I do when not reading the Oolite bulletin board!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Weird. It should turn into a command like “cd /Applications/Oolite.app/ ”, which should work. What precisely is the line?
Uncle Reno
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Uncle Reno »

OK, I get this.

-bash: cd/Applications/Games/Oolite (1.67-test)/Oolite/Oolite.app: No such file or directory

Uncle Reno
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Uncle Reno »

Also had a number of crashes to desktop, the last few lines in the console report are;

Oolite [script.debug.testCondition.testValues]: ..... comparing "1" (NSCFNumber) to "4" (NSCFNumber)
Oolite [sound.streaming.refill]: Buffering 267264 frames for sound <OOCAStreamingSound 0x74b7980>{"breakpattern.ogg"}.
Oolite [sound.streaming.refill]: Buffering 88576 frames for sound <OOCAStreamingSound 0x74b7980>{"breakpattern.ogg"}.
Oolite [sound.streaming.refill]: Buffering 89088 frames for sound <OOCAStreamingSound 0x74b7980>{"breakpattern.ogg"}.
Oolite [sound.streaming.refill]: Buffering 89088 frames for sound <OOCAStreamingSound 0x74b7980>{"breakpattern.ogg"}.
Oolite [sound.channel.cleanup.success]: Sound channel id 1 cleaned up successfully.
and

Oolite [script.debug.note.testCondition]: scriptTestCondition: "galaxy_number equal 4"
  Oolite [script.debug.testCondition.testValues]: ..... comparing "1" (NSCFNumber) to "4" (NSCFNumber)
Oolite [sound.streaming.refill]: Buffering 267264 frames for sound <OOCAStreamingSound 0x74ba0e0>{"breakpattern.ogg"}.
Oolite [sound.streaming.refill]: Buffering 88576 frames for sound <OOCAStreamingSound 0x74ba0e0>{"breakpattern.ogg"}.
Oolite [sound.streaming.refill]: Buffering 89088 frames for sound <OOCAStreamingSound 0x74ba0e0>{"breakpattern.ogg"}.
Oolite [sound.streaming.refill]: Buffering 89088 frames for sound <OOCAStreamingSound 0x74ba0e0>{"breakpattern.ogg"}.
Oolite [sound.channel.cleanup.success]: Sound channel id 7 cleaned up successfully.

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Uncle Reno wrote:
OK, I get this.

-bash: cd/Applications/Games/Oolite (1.67-test)/Oolite/Oolite.app: No such file or directory
Ahh. You need a space after the cd. D’oh.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Uncle Reno wrote:
Also had a number of crashes to desktop, the last few lines in the console report are ...
Bugger. Please e-mail me the crash report (PYMOLCLSXGQP squiggle spammotel point com). The crash report will be at ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Oolite.crash.log, where ~ is your home folder.

Oh, and if you do get the logging fix working, please run the following commands to ensure that you still get the last log message in future:

defaults write org.aegidian.oolite logging-enable -dict-add \$soundDebug on
defaults write org.aegidian.oolite logging-enable -dict-add sound.streaming.refill off
Last edited by JensAyton on Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

OK. no problem getting the app into Terminal, but when I run the mod, it repeatedly states:
G5-PowerHouse:/Games Galore/Oolite-v1.67test/Oolite.app peterbalcon$ mv Contents/Resources/Config/logcontrol.plist Contents/Resources/logcontrol.plist
mv: rename Contents/Resources/Config/logcontrol.plist to Contents/Resources/logcontrol.plist: Permission denied
I am DEFINITELY the admin for this machine!!
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Well, it’s possible – and sensible – for an admin to not have write access to an app, although by default you will. To fix this:
  • Make sure you’re logged in as an administrator. (You shouldn’t be using an admin account from day to day, by the way; while there is currently essentially no malware for the Mac, any that is written will almost certainly target people doing this.)
  • Instead of the mv command mentioned above, use

sudo mv Contents/Resources/Config/logcontrol.plist Contents/Resources/logcontrol.plist
  • When prompted for your password, enter it. (It’s being requested by the sudo system utility, which lets you perform actions with the godlike authority of “root”, the user who’s allowed to do anything.)
  • If you’re security-paranoid (e.g., have dangerously computer-savvy kids), run “sudo -k” to ensure that your sudo authority can’t be reused. (If you don’t do this, sudo can be used without a password for the next five minutes.)
Uncle Reno
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Uncle Reno »

@ Ahruman.
OK, looks like I've now got the logging fix sorted now, I've also sent you a copy of my crash log.

Uncle Reno
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Oolite test release 1.67

Post by Uncle Reno »

Report so far..
Ahruman wrote:
New stuff:
  • another_commander’s Advanced Navigational Array. Activated by !, replacing the Mac-only dump-galactic-chart command (you can find the dumped data on the wiki).
Sorry, can't get this to work. Also, not available as equipment to buy (just in case it was something that had to be bought before I can use it).
Ahruman wrote:
  • Bigger radar blobs for big blobby things.
Yep, seen that.
Ahruman wrote:
  • Giles’s experimental procedural textures (not dajt’s). Activate by pausing (P), then pressing T. The change will take effect when a new planet texture is generated, i.e. it won’t affect the planet in the current system. This feature is, er, in need of additional performance optimization.
Yep, that works too.
Ahruman wrote:
  • Yaw control, possibly. The comments say “keypad 1 and 3”, but those don’t work for me (presumably GNUstep/Cocoa differences). Have fun trying to find out what does. To do: disable this in strict mode.
No, I can't get this to work either.

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Re: Oolite test release 1.67

Post by JensAyton »

Having looked at the crash report in my coffee break earlier, I can say that it is clearly and uneqivocably entirely my fault. I have a hypothesis, but no solution yet. In the mean time, occurence of that crash can be reduced or eliminated by removing custsounds.oxp.
Uncle Reno wrote:
Ahruman wrote:
New stuff:
Sorry, can't get this to work. Also, not available as equipment to buy (just in case it was something that had to be bought before I can use it).
Hmm. Looks as though it’s tech-level 7 equipment which is only available on… no ships. I thought I’d tested that. Anyway, it can be made available for custom ships by adding EQ_ADVANCED_NAVIGATIONAL_ARRAY to the optional_equipment array. In future releases, it will be available for all ships.
Uncle Reno wrote:
Ahruman wrote:
No, I can't get this to work either.
Yeah, that was expected. Any suggestions for key assignments?