Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

It lives!

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Ahh, right. *Thwaps Xcode and FileMerge for hiding that bit*
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

JS loading almost works now… although, now that I’ve seen that code, I’m going to redesign it (encapsulating all three script types in classes instead of the current special-casing). But not tonight. :-)
dajt
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by dajt »

You're welcome to do that - I was putting it off, concentrating on other things.

My mods to Oolite - fast, cheap, good, choose any one of them.
Regards,
David Taylor.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Ain’t it always that way.
CaptKev
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptKev »

@dajt, sorry to be such a pain but I'm having a bit of a problem adding a branch to the main trunk. What's the procedure for say adding the textured-planet branch (I can't even build libnoise.a for some reason).
Download Fighter HUD, Stingray and System Redux from the EliteWiki
dajt
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by dajt »

I don't understand the question - do you mean how to check out the branch, or how to use the textured-planets exe?

If you're trying to build textured planets you're in for an exciting ride. You need to build a very recent version of GCC and use that in preference to the GNUstep one, because it can't build C++ code (it is missing the C++ front end).

Ensure this is the first version of GCC in your path.

Then you should be able to make libnoise. libnoise is very plain C++ and should present no problems on any platform.

Then make a directory under the textured-planets directory, go into it and use the command "make -f ../makefile". I could not get the standard GNUstep build system to make C++ files, despite the fact it seems to be supposed to support them.
Regards,
David Taylor.
CaptKev
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptKev »

Hi dajt, sorry for not making myself clear and thanks for your reply.

What I was trying to do was add the textured planet and JavaScript code to the main trunk. I realise that libnoise.a and libjs32.a will be required, but I'm having trouble locating the code that will be required to be merged into the main trunk code.

I was trying to compile libnoise with 'MS Visual Studio .NET', so I'll get a copy of GCC and try again.

I'm probably trying to run before I can walk and the whole thing will be a complete waste of time! :roll:
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

I’m busy merging the JS code into the trunk, so don’t bother with that. Merging the textured planets could be problematic, since there’s a different set of textured-planet code in the trunk (pause and press T to activate it).

In fact, it’s probably not worth trying anything big right now, because the JavaScript merge has turned into a big rewrite of the scripting system with far-reaching consequences.
CaptKev
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptKev »

Okay I'll give that a try, thanks Ahruman.
dajt
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by dajt »

Getting textured-planets with libnoise into the trunk would be tricky. I gave up trying to merge the trunk code into the textured-planets branch (which is effectively the same operation) because the trunk's planet texturing code and the libnoise texturing code obviously hit exactly the same parts of the PlanetEntity class. It was just too messy.

A silly idea has just occured to me. We could either abstract the planet texture generators behind an interface to give options for which texture generator to use, or put them into a separate processes which use something like shared memory to transfer the generated texture.

The first idea is cleaner from a design point of view but the second idea avoids linking C++ code into the game.

But I'm having nothing to do with it ;)
Regards,
David Taylor.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Oh, right. That “we”.
dajt
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by dajt »

Well, come on. I had the idea, someone else (not naming names) implements it. Surely that is "we"?

;-)
Regards,
David Taylor.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

The royal we are planning to focus on code cleanup for a while (didja guess?), on the basis that enhancing cleaned-up code is easier than enhancing messy code and then cleaning up the now-even-messier code. I have little say in what other wes do.
CaptKev
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptKev »

Any chance of reducing the visibility of those annoying Front/Aft/Port/Starboard messages with the code below?

Code: Select all

- (void) drawMessage
{
	if (message_gui)
		[message_gui drawGUI:0.2 forUniverse:self drawCursor:NO];
}
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Well, I’ve tried to set up the Windows build (under emulation, urgh) so I can test and verify stuff, but I’ve hit a significant snag: mingw says it can’t find svn. Since I can’t work out a way to reference files outside C:\GNUstep\Development\msys\1.0\, I don’t see how it would be expected to find it. There would seem to be a step missing from the wiki (and no, it’s not the “install svn” step).