Takes too long!!

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

NoSleep
Commander
Commander

Post by NoSleep »

RyanRyanRyan wrote:
All i can find is the 'large cargo bay'... is that the one?
Yeh, that's the one. And follow the advice given above by Darkbee. That is, sell computers to agricultural planets and furs to industrial ones.
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

yes.
of course n00b advice no.1 would be to consult Darkbee's Oosheets. ;)
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

My #1 money making advice.

Buy precious stuff (Gold, Platinum, Gemstones) from rock hermits whenever you can. It doesn't take up cargo space and the markup is huge.

Piracy is also a great way to fill your holds.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
Jaybee
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Jaybee »

Darkbee wrote:
I don't agree with the fact that you need witch-drive fuel injectors... they are a luxury. Very rarely do I use them to run away (i.e. protect myself) and they certainly don't return any value. So I think they are a "nice to have" rather than a "must have", especially at the start of the game.
I see them as a definite must have. I have to dodge the odd GalCorp formation from time to time and, being the type of rogue that I am, I wouldn't stoop so low as to use an energy bomb. So I prefer the afterburner.

OK, a rogue with a conscience but, when your shields are down and between 7 to 10 GalCorp vipers come at you, the afterburner is the best way to split them up when using it head on (if you're keen on taking them out).

Or simply running away if you don't want to end up on the spice mines of Riedquat (or too squimish to have a good fight).
Ad astra per aspera
RyanRyanRyan
Average
Average

Post by RyanRyanRyan »

aegidian, how DO you find rock hermits?and right now, im trading food to Quator and computers and machines to Ra. its fast and I get at least 60 creds per trip, and im about to get increased cargo for more profits.
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

one way to spot (a majority of the) Rock Hermits is to space jump through the asteroid fields, while looking out your aft window..
you'll quickly see which one of them that has a docking bay facing the planet..

though no guarantee that every field has a Hermit. anything they sell will be dirt cheap.
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Murgh wrote:
though no guarantee that every field has a Hermit. anything they sell will be dirt cheap.
And they'll pay over the odds for booze. :wink:
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
RyanRyanRyan
Average
Average

Post by RyanRyanRyan »

well where are these asteroid fields?
NoSleep
Commander
Commander

Post by NoSleep »

You come across them in the corridor at times. They're identified on the scanner as white dots, and can often been seen even before they register on the scanner, looking like big grey boulders. If you examine some of them closely they have entrances (oriented to face the planet, just like the space station), and these are the rock hermits.
Darkbee
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Darkbee »

I knew I'd updset a few people with the Witchdrive fuel injectors thing! :twisted:

The way I see it is, they weren't in the original and I managed fine without them so why should Oolite be any different (ignoring the fact that other ships have them, otherwise my argument falls flat on its face... doh!)

Seriously though, as others have mentioned, large cargo bay has got to be one of the first purchases otherwise you're never gonna make any cash fast.

On a slightly different note, perhaps we need a noobie faq sheet... another project for me? :shock:
Darkbee
Oolite: A grOovy Kind of Love
NoSleep
Commander
Commander

Post by NoSleep »

aegidian wrote:
Piracy is also a great way to fill your holds.
After you've purchased a fuel scoop, of course.

There's nothing quite like the feeling of leaving the space station with an empty cargo bay thinking, 'I'll do a little shopping along the way'.
RyanRyanRyan
Average
Average

Post by RyanRyanRyan »

alrighty then, I'll just ask about Fuel Scoops now.
And now you must all be thinking thus: :roll:
lol. Well, anyways, are fuel scoops always active?
jonnycuba
Deadly
Deadly

Post by jonnycuba »

I think a healthy dose of this will save everybody's time here

http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/manual.htm

enjoy!
Team Zorg are Go!
RyanRyanRyan
Average
Average

Post by RyanRyanRyan »

yeah its a good site. thanks.
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

My newbie tip:

Shooting asteroids. Tedious at times, but good practice and IMO quite rewarding, esp if they break up in smaller fragments.
With a scoop, you can harvest shards of them (smallest variety when shooting up asteroids into boulders, etc..) pure win.
If, after awhile, you feel a bit better equipped, definitely go for peoplecargo, makes good money.

(Edit: newer versions of Oolite make shooting asteroids far less rewarding than it used to be, so now it's only good for target-practice, heh.)