Takes too long!!

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

RyanRyanRyan
Average
Average

Takes too long!!

Post by RyanRyanRyan »

Im pretty sure this has been talked about alot, but... I understand their is a corridor of ships in each planet system. Well, it takes like 15 minutes to get to each planet in this corridor... how can I find my way out of the corridor? how far must I go? Because if I could, the game would be alot more fun and ALOT faster... and also, could anybody please write down some newbie tips? I just started the game a day ago, and have only played about an hour. It takes forever to get $$$ by trading. I only get about 30-50 credits per trip. How can I upgrade faster?
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

n00b tips

Post by Murgh »

when you you really need cash, cut down planet travel time to 2:08 by space-jumping away from folk in the lane. the corridor is anywhere but towards the compass centre. kill to eliminate mass-lock obstacles. seek out close neighbour planets with poor agriculture and rich intrustrial rule, and make the most of it. use early money to get an afterburner.

well, that's how I made my fortune. 8)
Darkbee
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Darkbee »

Oolite is based on a game that came out over 2 decades ago... which was a time when high speed, kick someone's butt in 5 nano seconds, type games were not necessarily all the rage (not withstanding the fact that the technology was probably not up to the task). Anyway, to cut a long story short, Oolite is a game of patience. Don't expect to complete it in a couple of weeks. See it as a voyage of discovery. Try to imagine life as a space trader, which would no doubt feature a LOT of down time, when not much of anything was happening... But enough sales pitch.

I second what Murgh said... Find two planets, fairly close together, that are Rich Industrial and Poor Agricultural and trade between them. Agricultural planets will tend to sell nessecities cheaply and require technology whereas the reverse is true for Industrial planets. If you haven't done so, download the Reference Sheet PDF might help you to see if you're getting a good deal on prices. I don't want to give too much away but generally, trading in computers and furs will earn you the most cash (behind certain illegal goods).

Destroying asteroids can also earn you credits, since they are a navigational hazard, but that is a slow process. If you buy a fuel scoop you can blast asteroids into scoopable minerals to sell (again a fairly low profit activity). Bounty hunting can reap rewards, especially if you have a fuel scoop but is more risky. Piracy is even more risky still, preying on innocent trade ships.

As for avoiding the corridor, a simple tactic is to head away from the planet, towards the sun. You can easily find the sun given the light reflection off of the planet's surface. Do that for about 30 seconds and you should be sufficiently far away from the corridor to avoid most ships. Naturally, if the sun appears to be almost directly behind the planet then you need to pick a random point in space somewhere, anywhere but directly towards the planet.

As for equipment I'd say you should get:
ECM (since missiles are really hard to shoot down)
Cargo Bay Extension
Fuel Scoop
Extra Energy Unit

Then the rest...

Scanner enhancement
Multi targetting System
Docking Computer
Beam/Military Laser
and the others...

This is not gospel, just my own ideas, others WILL disagree. You should only buy new equipment when you have enough cash spare to buy a full cargo hold of the most expensive goods (normally computers).

Hope this helps.
Darkbee
Oolite: A grOovy Kind of Love
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Get the Witch Space Fuel injectors

Post by winston »

I find the Witch Space Fuel injectors are extremely useful here, especially when trading between planets that are relatively close. You can overtake all that pesky civilian traffic (and Police patrols if you're a wuss and trade at anything safer than Multi-Government) in no time flat, but still see it.

The reason you want to use the corridor is so you can go looking for trouble. The injectors help you find the trouble faster. They also help you vindictively go after any pirates who try and run away from you when they realise you have a Military laser.
RyanRyanRyan
Average
Average

Post by RyanRyanRyan »

alright, thanks alot for your help.. I'll be sure to heed all this advice :D
NoSleep
Commander
Commander

Post by NoSleep »

When you first enter a new system, orient yourself toward the planet like this...

and take note of your radar, showing this...

if you now swing your ship up (or down) until the radar shows thus...

...you will be at 90 degrees to the corridor, so speeding in this direction is the most direct way to get out of it. Just hit 'Jump' for a few seconds then re-orient toward the planet.
RyanRyanRyan
Average
Average

Post by RyanRyanRyan »

This game is reallly tough to get started in, though!
And thanx, NoSleep: that was a perfect guide! It's cutting my time in thirds! Even quarters!
Darkbee
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Darkbee »

I don't agree with the fact that you need witch-drive fuel injectors... they are a luxury. Very rarely do I use them to run away (i.e. protect myself) and they certainly don't return any value. So I think they are a "nice to have" rather than a "must have", especially at the start of the game.
Darkbee
Oolite: A grOovy Kind of Love
RyanRyanRyan
Average
Average

Post by RyanRyanRyan »

is a 'large cargo bay' what you were talking about for extra cargo? and also, would it be worth it to get a passenger berth?
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

I'll argue for the afterburners on the "must have" novice (slightly impatient) commander list.. :roll:
for that early vulnerable period, especially having found two ideal planets to make a dash for a fortune to buy more luxurious stuff, the injectors are essential to keep the radar screen clean and unwanted tormentors away, thus maximizing space-jumping to keep travel time brief (and subsequently seeing your wealth grow fast..)
NoSleep
Commander
Commander

Post by NoSleep »

I suggest you go for the 'extra cargo' option at first. Go for the passenger berth when you've more of a cash float.
RyanRyanRyan
Average
Average

Post by RyanRyanRyan »

Yes, but I can't seem to find the 'extra cargo'. All i can find is the 'large cargo bay'... is that the one? or is it under a different name? lol sorry for my stupidity
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

yes, the expanded cargo bay is what you want. that will see your salary rise :D
RyanRyanRyan
Average
Average

Post by RyanRyanRyan »

what tech level is it? heh sorry again...
RyanRyanRyan
Average
Average

Post by RyanRyanRyan »

wait nevermind, it was in the reference sheet... level 1, price 400. Thanks for your help.
(But trust me, I'll probably be back in like 5 minutes with another dumb noob question. :oops: )