Set of Missions in Galaxy 3

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Thanks, Dr. Nil and LittleBear!

To make it clearer: I'm only placing my station in one system, so I'm not concerned with the coordinates being different in another system, which of course they are.

I was concerned with the coordinates of sun and planet relative to each other changing over time in the same system, because that would mean an object placed in a certain location in a coordinate system originating from the planet (like psm) would not be in the same place relative to the sun over time, which would be bad, because a station being very close to the sun (where I want to have it) would be eaten up by the sun at another time (which I don't want).

Now I did some testing, changing the time-string in my test pilot's log and starting my OXP in a couple of completely different times. And the result: As far as I can tell no matter at what game time I played, my station appeared always in the same place relative to the sun, just at that point where my ships altimeter over the sun turns from yellow to red (so, indeed very close to the sun, that's because in my storyline the station has lost its orbit due to an asteroid storm, and the player's task is to save it; success or failure to return to the station with some spare parts before it blows up will trigger different chains of events with different changes to the Ooniverse).

So for the question of positions of objects in a system I would conclude that the positions of planet and sun in a given system are fixed to each other throughout the game. (So in a given system the sun will always be e.g. at psm 0 0 900000 and the planet will always be at spm 0 0 900000)
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Proberbley right, manybe its the Main Station that Moves about!

In Asteroid Storm I orginally placed the Doomsday Astreroids with pwm points near the station and they worked fine. I then loaded a new Jamson and the asteroids were nowhere to be seen! So used addSystemShips LBast 30 1.0 and they were always near the station!
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.