Renegade Pirates not putting up a fight

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

rollen
Competent
Competent

Renegade Pirates not putting up a fight

Post by rollen »

This has happened to me a couple of times:

I get into a skirmish with a renegade pirate who keeps sending me theatening messages. Ater a few exchanges, I make some choice shots with my beam laser and then the ship just drifts off without ejecting an escape pod, leaving me to pick it off at will.

Why is that? Is the pilot cowering in the space-loo because of my superior skills or is it a bug?
"time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas"
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Not sure, as it wasn't a bug I hit in playtesting. The "Sleepy Ships" is an occasional game bug and can affect any ship, but not very often.

It is however possible with the Renegade Ships to shoot off all their gun mounts and turrets leaving them unable to return fire!

Their AI is meant to mean that they always attack and never run. Will give em a few more playtests and see if I can reproduce it.

EDIT : Gave em a few playtests. Well somethings up with em! The ones with turrets always fire their turret guns but they are all only using their lasers occasionally. Strange as I haven't changed anything and they were fine a couple of weeks ago when I playtested blackmonks, frequently blowing up my new Jameson! Will look into this, suspect an AI problem as it is intermitant, although why it should sudenley happen is odd!
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
rollen
Competent
Competent

Post by rollen »

Well thanks for the info - it may be a quirk of boolian logic that has caused it to happen to me a couple of times; especially if i started from a specific save point and then went to a specific star system but this, as they say, is highly theoretical.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Suspect your right!

To test them I added one to nearby the station when you launch. Playing with my Commander I had the same problem you did (only fireing lasers occasionally). Lauched with another Commander and the Renegade lasered me up! Odd, but possibley is some sort of game condition in the save file that makes them behave this way occasionally.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

LittleBear wrote:
Suspect your right!

To test them I added one to nearby the station when you launch. Playing with my Commander I had the same problem you did (only fireing lasers occasionally). Lauched with another Commander and the Renegade lasered me up! Odd, but possibley is some sort of game condition in the save file that makes them behave this way occasionally.
Are the pilots female? could PMT be an issue, can you fire a laser and put on makeup at the same time.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
rollen
Competent
Competent

Post by rollen »

It is possible, though I dare say that they would be far too busy shopping in the nearest Astro-Mall to bother flying spacecraft around!
rollen
Competent
Competent

Post by rollen »

This topic is a a bit of a dinosaur now but I think I can find a reason why some ships remain on screen but have no physical presence in the OOniverse. I think it is to do with the distance at which they are blown up. Basically if I fly up the tailpipe of a boa, python et al and fire my beam laser they will launch an escape pod, jettison cargo etc but the ship will never explode it will just go to sleep and I can fly right through it. If I destroy the ship from a distance then it will tend to explode and disappear off the scanner in the way that all good exploded ships should!
If you read this let me know if that might explain the "sleepy ships bug".
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

I'm afraid the matter is more complicated. Personally I like to fly up the tailpipe of big ships (see my signature :wink: ) and blow them up, and that's exactly what they do: blowing up, leaving no remains except a nice load of cargo containers and perhaps an escape capsule to scoop up. :lol: No ghosts.

But I had them, too, as I guess everybody who is playing this game.